*** Extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2001
East Lansing, Michigan
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
For the women out there (especially those with kids or those who consider family life to be very important)-- what is EM's lifestyle like? I know it has the reputation of having a good lifestyle because of the number of hours, but I have heard that 1/3 of your shifts are at night-- so that's like a third of the year when you don't see your children when you come home, can't put them to bed, don't see your husband, etc.

I'm an MS3 considering EM. I really love dealing with patients, can keep my head on in stressful situations, and just like the bustle of ER's. I have not done an ER rotation yet, but have done lots of shadowing experiences. The only thing is I am not a big fan of procedures, but I guess nothing's perfect. But, lifestyle is also a big part of the decision for me.

Also, does anyone know what the average step 1 score is for those matching in ER? Which hospitals are known to be good in the field, and is there a website where I can find all this information??

Thank you!

ERMudPhud

Back for a visit
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
It can work very well. My wife works 9 shifts a month. We have been able to juggle our schedules so that one of us was always home with the kids until they were old enough for preschool. Even if I work a fuller schedule of 12-14 shifts we still have a fair number of days of together as well. The number of nights can be highly variable from job to job. First with increased coverage during days and evenings less than 20% of shifts might be night shifts. Plus some groups pay a night premium for people who want to work nights or give more nights to junior partners so you may not always be working that many nights. Plus nights aren't so bad. You get home, take the kids to school, nap, and pick them up from school. If you work days you may go to work before they go to school or work well after they get off. If you work evenings you miss their evening at home. So, there are plusses and minuses but the freetime and schedule flexibility more than makes up for it in my eyes