for third year med students....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celiac Plexus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
recently we had our rank meeting to rank the applicants for our surgery program... we all sat around a big table and talked about almost every applicant... some observations....

-a great step i score will get you the interview, but after you get the interview offer you can pretty much forget about your step i score. that goes for people who scored a 250, and for those that scored a 210.

-the interview is v*e*r*y important. prepare well for it. those little comments you see attendings writing down during your interview are read back sometimes verbatim during the rank meeting

-letters from well-known surgeons have a h*u*g*e impact on your position on the rank list.

-how you treat the secretary plays a role in your final list position. if you piss him/her off, you w*i*l*l be sabotaged in the rank meeting.

-thank you letters, which i always thought didn't mean ****, are apparently much more important than i thought they were. apparently since so many people write them as a matter of routine, not writing one is conspicuous... in a bad way. don't wait a long time to send a thank you letter though... send the letter right after your interview.

-your interactions with residents are also incredibly important. some applicants were moved up the list because some residents spoke up for them... some moved down for the same reason. don't think that just because your are drinking a beer with a resident, and talking about sports that you aren't in some way being evaluated.

-consistently expressing an interest in a program will help you at least a little bit, maybe more. it really shouldn't but it does. human nature i guess. applicants who sent periodic e-mails, letters to their interviewers, or the pd definitely helped themselves at least incrementally... it certainly does not hurt. (don't call though)

good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for this. with less than a year to go before i have to start applying/interviewing this is very valuable information to know.

Celiac Plexus said:
recently we had our rank meeting to rank the applicants for our surgery program... we all sat around a big table and talked about almost every applicant... some observations....

-a great step i score will get you the interview, but after you get the interview offer you can pretty much forget about your step i score. that goes for people who scored a 250, and for those that scored a 210.

-the interview is v*e*r*y important. prepare well for it. those little comments you see attendings writing down during your interview are read back sometimes verbatim during the rank meeting

-letters from well-known surgeons have a h*u*g*e impact on your position on the rank list.

-how you treat the secretary plays a role in your final list position. if you piss him/her off, you w*i*l*l be sabotaged in the rank meeting.

-thank you letters, which i always thought didn't mean ****, are apparently much more important than i thought they were. apparently since so many people write them as a matter of routine, not writing one is conspicuous... in a bad way. don't wait a long time to send a thank you letter though... send the letter right after your interview.

-your interactions with residents are also incredibly important. some applicants were moved up the list because some residents spoke up for them... some moved down for the same reason. don't think that just because your are drinking a beer with a resident, and talking about sports that you aren't in some way being evaluated.

-consistently expressing an interest in a program will help you at least a little bit, maybe more. it really shouldn't but it does. human nature i guess. applicants who sent periodic e-mails, letters to their interviewers, or the pd definitely helped themselves at least incrementally... it certainly does not hurt. (don't call though)

good luck.

Geez, when will the superficiality and token displays of interest end?

Tired of putting on a show, and seeing those around me do the same. Although they think they're being genuine. Yeah right. Genuine is being unshaven for a week and saying "I like to operate, it will feed my ego, I will put up with the B.S. of residency because I can eventually work in a private practice where I can tailor my schedule how I want, and I'll make pretty damn good money". Not getting all dressed up in generic dark suit you bought especially for the interviews and saying "I want to be a surgeon because I like working with my hands". And then having a few drinks with the residents to pretend you're "just one of the guys".

Members don't see this ad :)
so is that why all gen surg residents are bitter, cuase of all the dog and pony shows?

salsadoc44 said:
so is that why all gen surg residents are bitter, cuase of all the dog and pony shows?

sleep deprivation + dog and pony show = bitterness

I agree, the interviews are very important. Don't go to an interview ill-prepared. The interview is a great chance to make a great impression. If you receive an interview, you have at least met the basic academic requirements for the program. They are looking to see if you will "fit" into their program. And you're doing the same. Many of us end up ranking programs based on "gut" feeling...how you really feel about the programs after the interview, rather than numbers/stats alone. The same is true of programs...they're "gut" feeling of applicants play a large and important role in how they will rank you. Interview are important so it's best to take them seriously by preparing for them well.