• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

For this school list WAMC? SMP Student, retaking MCAT, and unsure of timing for applications

flyinglotus12

Jan 28, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all,

Stealing formatting from another kind SDN soul:angelic:. Any help is greatly appreciated! My SMP courses consisted of Biochemistry I & II and Physiology I & II. In addition, I was planning on submitting the AACOMAS ASAP and waiting to submit the AMCAS until I receive my new MCAT score in mid July to get a better idea of where to apply to. Would it be better to wait as I had planned or send them both in ASAP? There has been a lot thrown around about timing and extensions due to COVID-19, so I am not sure if mid July is still considered early. With all of that out of the way, here are my stats....
  • Just finished first year of SMP at a medical school in Biomedical Sciences
  • State: NY
  • Undergraduate GPA: 3.21, Science GPA 2.9
  • Graduate GPA 4.0
  • MCAT Score: 8/18: 504 (127, 127, 125, 125) Retaking in late June and improved to a 512 on most recent practice
  • Research - Poster presentation of solo project in undergrad, working in lab at school totaling around 500 hours
  • Volunteering: Clinical as an EMT: 270 hours, around 300 hours nonclinical with special olympics and public health venture
  • Shadowing: None - besides uGPA and sGPA this is my biggest worry. I have a lot of research, clinical, and volunteering but was advised against shadowing
  • Employment: EMT for Town Park (about 1000 hours over 3 summers)
  • Immediate family members in medicine: No
  • Specialty of Interest: PM&R, EM
  • Other Pertinent Information: Failed 1 2-credit Math course that I retook and got a B (same semester)
  • Schools:
Hardcore reach:
  1. Einstein
  2. Dartmouth

MD:
  1. SUNY Buffalo
  2. SUNY Stony Brook
  3. SUNY Upstate
  4. SUNY Downstate
  5. Vermont
  6. Maryland
  7. Miami
  8. Tufts
  9. Georgetown
  10. Loyola
  11. Jefferson
  12. Drexel
  13. George Washington
  14. Rutgers
  15. Robert Johnson
  16. NYMC
  17. Albany
  18. Temple
DO:
  1. PCOM
  2. Touro NY
  3. Rowan
  4. NYIT

Here you have it. Any school suggestions, timing tips, things to get rid of, all would be immensely helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
A SMP isn’t just two courses. It’s a whole special masters program(SMP). Do you mean you are doing a DIY post bacc? If so, are your two As figured into your posted GPAs? The problem with sending in your AMCAS primary before your new MCAT score is released, is that schools are under no obligation to wait for the score to review your application. So keep that in mind.
None of us can predict how successful you’ll be or what schools you should apply to until your new score arrives. Your GPAs are low for any MD school and your MCAT is lowish too. But you are fine for DO schools. Good luck on the retake. Come back when you have your new score and people will be glad to help you fix your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

flyinglotus12

Jan 28, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
A SMP isn’t just two courses. It’s a whole special masters program(SMP). Do you mean you are doing a DIY post bacc? If so, are your two As figured into your posted GPAs? The problem with sending in your AMCAS primary before your new MCAT score is released, is that schools are under no obligation to wait for the score to review your application. So keep that in mind.
None of us can predict how successful you’ll be or what schools you should apply to until your new score arrives. Your GPAs are low for any MD school and your MCAT is lowish too. But you are fine for DO schools. Good luck on the retake. Come back when you have your new score and people will be glad to help you fix your list.
The first year has consisted of those 4 courses, the next year I will be taking pathology, cell biology, pharmacology, and medical ethics on top of writing my masters thesis. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
About the Ads

flyinglotus12

Jan 28, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Let us know when your new score posts. What are you going to do with your shadowing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
Will do! I am not sure. I could try and shadow after the application is submitted. I am not sure how big of a deal the lack of shadowing will be for my application. I've heard schools may be more lenient with requirements (beyond stats) this cycle so it may not be as vital as it has been in the past.

Unsure if obtaining the shadowing hours are worth it. I was advised against it because shadowing doesn't allow you to do anything beyond watch and not really know what was going on. I got plenty of direct patient contact during my time as an EMT so I was hoping that would offset not shadowing. If that is incorrect please let me know though.

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.