Hadoken

5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2013
Status
So what is everyone asking for Christmas this year? Stethoscopes, usmle help programs, books, socks, dress clothes, money? I just realized that I could use a whole bunch of cool stuff this year that would help out. Anyone else already planning out what they want or need? Just thought it would be interesting to hear some ideas you sdners have thought of, or to give ideas to those of us who are still thinking for items that will aid their transition to medical school.

Womb Raider

5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some nice whiskey.

Doctor Strange

Sorcerer Supreme
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2012
177A Bleecker Street, New York City, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Any medical supplies you should really hold off until you get official word from your school. Some institutions provide free stethoscopes, and others specify specific instruments that you need. If you don't already have a nice selection, dress clothes would be a nice thing to ask for. Money is also always nice. Nothing really beats cold hard cash.

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
Uh..I have a stethoscope...it sits in its box at the top of my closet underneath a bunch of crap hiding it. My mom went out and got it for me the day I finally told her I was *thinking* about *maybe* applying to medical school. Then I broke her heart and told her I wasn't dropping my full time research position to apply immediately.

Reactions: Hadoken
Oct 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been slowly building up a more professional wardrobe while on gap year, holding off on all the medical stuff, might grab a laptop at some point but probably will wait until I make a final decision on where I attend. (UPenn gives out free iPads!)

darklabel

PGWhy
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've been slowly building up a more professional wardrobe while on gap year, holding off on all the medical stuff, might grab a laptop at some point but probably will wait until I make a final decision on where I attend. (UPenn gives out free iPads!)
Plus 1 on the professional wardrobe. I've been thinking about building up my collection. I hope to get the new Microsoft Surface 2 (though I'll be buying that on my own) soon as the portability and having Office on it seems important for next year.

Also, as SDNers have suggested, I will be having the time of my life until August comes around.

Oct 18, 2013
Status
Don't a lot of schools offer discounts on many things (prep books/textbooks/electronics, etc) too? You can ask for something that you can enjoy for these few months. You totally deserve to sit back and relax!

IncognitoGuy

life of leisure
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Get absolutely NOTHING med school related.

Apr 30, 2013
Status
An Xbone + Assassin's Creed 4. My family already helps with financial stuff throughout the year, Christmas is for fun stuff.

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Professional wardrobe is a good idea. Step 1 materials and medical supplies...not so much. Wait until at least Christmas of M1 to start asking for any kind of equipment or Step 1 materials. You have no idea what you will need at this point, nor do you know where you'll end up going even if accepted somewhere, so wait until you really know what you need before even thinking about such things. A professional wardrobe, however, is useful in any profession (just about) and certainly at any medical school.

GandalfTheWhite

Chillin in Isengard
7+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2011
Middle Earth
Status
Non-Student
So what is everyone asking for Christmas this year? Stethoscopes, usmle help programs, books, socks, dress clothes, money? I just realized that I could use a whole bunch of cool stuff this year that would help out. Anyone else already planning out what they want or need? Just thought it would be interesting to hear some ideas you sdners have thought of, or to give ideas to those of us who are still thinking for items that will aid their transition to medical school.
A bottle of Blue Label, An Xbox One, Battlefield 4/CoD Ghosts.... and leave me alone till next year.

compstomper

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Well like many of you guys and gals, Christmas came early this year for me :D

But it sure would be nice to have some extra walking around money :)

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
What is up with all of these spam accounts that just pick a random sentence in another user's post and copy it?

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
Any medical supplies you should really hold off until you get official word from your school. Some institutions provide free stethoscopes, and others specify specific instruments that you need. If you don't already have a nice selection, dress clothes would be a nice thing to ask for. Money is also always nice. Nothing really beats cold hard cash.
"Free." lol included in tuition and fees.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
For future reference, can you guys make a thread about which medical schools give out free goodies to their students?

kittykattat

Meow
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
"Free." lol included in tuition and fees.
My state school always gives a gift (gift meaning the students did not pay for it in tuition and fees) for white coat ceremony and the last few years it has been whichever stethoscope the cardiology benefactor guy is using at the time and wants all the students to have. pretty cool and actually free

Jennyfishy

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2013
WI
Status
Medical Student
My state school always gives a gift (gift meaning the students did not pay for it in tuition and fees) for white coat ceremony and the last few years it has been whichever stethoscope the cardiology benefactor guy is using at the time and wants all the students to have. pretty cool and actually free
Go badgers! :love::love::love::love::clap:

UC Irvine also gives their 1st year class an ipad (idk if it's part of tuition though)

Reactions: kittykattat

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
Oh okay, cool. :thumbup:

Reactions: kittykattat

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
I want GTA V for the PC. :(

Come on, Rockstar...

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
My stethoscope (cardiology III!) was a gift given at my white coat ceremony. Of course, it probably helps that the 3M headquarters is like 15 minutes away from campus...
I think it's the norm to have a cardiology 3 in medical school/hospitals. I have Littmann 2 S.E. :yeahright:

Amygdarya

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Cornell gives iPads, too, and CCLCM gives some kind of super duper laptops.

Aug 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
All the ones that give free ipads and the like...not really free, just gets lumped in the tuition hahahaha

lovemango

Wreck 'Em
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
+1 for dress clothes and cash. A lot of med schools will either give you a free stethoscope or have group discounts for students. Joining certain organizations will also get you free books (not to mention all the free ebooks floating around). I got a free box of Netter's Anatomy flashcards from AMSA + a copy of Goljan's Rapid Path Review for joining AMA this year.

lucitrea

go big or go home
Nov 7, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Spa day fully paid for, fancy steak dinner and BBQ party/family reunion for extra presents.

Well, when I get accepted.