For those accepted: Did you ever think you WOULDN'T get into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had my doubts begining my second year of college. I even put off taking the MCAT because I thought I wouldn't score high enough. I didn't end up taking the MCAT until I had finished undergrad.

When I found out I was accepted, I called all of my family. While they were excited, they were not nearly as excited as I was. I kept hearing, "We always knew you would make it. You are too hard on yourself." I figured I was the only one who didn't think I would actually get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Hell yeah, there were times I didn't think I would ever get accepted. God bless my family for putting up with all my neuroses, insecurity, and lack of self-confidence (all great qualities to have in a physician, right? :rolleyes: ), not to mention the random panic attacks. I ended up doing fine during the whole process. I think one of the biggest keys to success in this process is staying true to yourself and staying off sdn. I'll tell you, this website can drive you crazy-- neurotics feedding neurotics. It's nice to know that we'll all be colleagues someday.

DrVanNostran said:
I know what you mean, it is really hard to keep on going. My best friends are all starting their M3 or M4 year this fall, and here I am working on my AMCAS. I just hope that adcoms see our persistence and hopefully improvement. I hate the feeling how our parents are just waiting for that letter, and instead of support, I get blamed for everything. I guess they don't realize that we are trying our hardest.

I was accepted to SGU, but I just didn't feel right about it. I am still not sure if I would go to an Osteopathic school or SGU....whats your take?

Personally I would go to an osteopathic school because I have met some unbelievable osteopaths during my clinical experience. I haven't had the chance to meet a lot of Caribbean grads, but I know that being close to home or at least in the same country as my family and friends was a really important factor for me when deciding which school to apply to/attend.