Tooth Fixer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
Hey guys, I just got a C in my 1 unit chem lab class. I'm soo pissed the teacher didn't pass back our old labs so we can learn from them and do better all we found out was our final grade at then end. I also got a C in botany like 2 years ago. My gpa is 3.5 and sci is about 3.5 also. Will that C really mess up my chances to get into dental schools? For people that were accepted to Dental schools did you guys have any C's. Thanks a lot i'm soo depressed :(

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Tooth Fixer said:
Hey guys, I just got a C in my 1 unit lab class. I'm soo pissed the teacher didn't pass back our old labs so we can learn from them and do better all we found out was our final grade at then end. I also got a C in botany like 2 years ago. My gpa is 3.5 and sci is about 3.5 also. Will that C really mess up my chances to get into dental schools? For people that were accepted to Dental schools did you guys have any C's. Thanks a lot i'm soo depressed :(
C'mon, if you keep posting this kind of post, they will rip you apart. I believe a lot of us have at least a C in college. I have 2 Cs in computer science, even though I was able to pull them to As when I retook them. It's no big deal because they look at your GPA as a unit. 3.5 is very good. Do a search and you will find plenty of less than 3.0s. How many Cs do they have? Keep it up and I wish you luck!

grinningrice

Clean your dentures!
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Cleveland so does not rock....
Status
Its all gravy...no worries:) I have had 2 Cs before and I still got into schools.

TX Hopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
Status
Tooth Fixer said:
Hey guys, I just got a C in my 1 unit chem lab class. I'm soo pissed the teacher didn't pass back our old labs so we can learn from them and do better all we found out was our final grade at then end. I also got a C in botany like 2 years ago. My gpa is 3.5 and sci is about 3.5 also. Will that C really mess up my chances to get into dental schools? For people that were accepted to Dental schools did you guys have any C's. Thanks a lot i'm soo depressed :(
I have multiple "C's" from my undergrad...but I have a 3.0+ GPA, strong DAT scores, and other aspects of my application that make me stronger for the '06 cycle.

We're all human here! Please don't let 1x "C" discourage you.

dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
TX Hopeful said:
I have multiple "C's" from my undergrad...but I have a 3.0+ GPA, strong DAT scores, and other aspects of my application that make me stronger for the '06 cycle.

I had 1C in physics... and I have a C from last semister they dont know about yet :eek:

*really hope they dont care about the second C*

Dr. Steve Brule

For your (oral) health
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2002
Status
Dentist
haha i wish i only had 1 C...don't even worry about it man just enjoy wha time you have left as an undergrad

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with TX, Cs dont kill your chances....Im in the same boat as TX....yes a have Cs at my community college...but I have a solid DAT score and extracirr things to strengthen my app...good luck

TX Hopeful said:

Irene010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2004
Louisville, KY
Status
Are you kidding me...my freshman year, I had 2 Cs in my intro Bio classes, and a C in Chem 1 (which I retook and got an A). Sophomore year, I got a C+ in Cellular/Molecular Bio, but retook it and got an A. Even w/ my Cs averaged in w/ my retakes, I pulled my gpa up to like 3.65 and got into 5 schools. Most schools didn't even bring up any of the Cs at my interviews. If your transcript shows a positive trend, you're good to go. :thumbup:

bigbevo34

peon
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2004
ATX
Status
Tooth Fixer said:

I had lots of C's, a couple of D's, and 1 F. You have a lot to go if you want to catch up w/ me :laugh:

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
I have a C in second semester general chemistry and one in trigonometry. I was asked about them a couple of times during interviews and I simply explained that I was young. My interviews related to my answer and seemed to accepted it as I was accepted to those schools. Having a couple of C's will not sink the ship of your application, so don't sweat them. Best of luck! :thumbup:

amDENTwB

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2004
Status
How did everyone manage to keep such high GPAs with so many lower grades?

I think overall GPA and classes are much more important than a few Cs. In my experience, i've heard more about individual DAT sections being questioned at interviews rather than single classes/grades. If you're worried about it, I'd say the best thing to do is to try and get a better grade in a similar course. I got a C in an English class my freshman year, and since english is a pre req in most of the schools I applied to, it was suggested that I take another english class to possibly discredit my freshman professor or another aspect of the course. I did, and my story ends with a full ride to UCONN next year...

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
Tooth Fixer said:
get a life.

I had a 3.9++ and I didnt jump off a cliff when I got a B in Biochem that messed up my perfect average.

You need to quit posting that crap. Theres people that get into dental school with 2.5's its not as hard as these dorks on SDN say it is. Just depends on your DAT and writing skills.

JakeMUSC

D3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Charleston, SC
Status
vertical bite said:
get a life.

I had a 3.9++ and I didnt jump off a cliff when I got a B in Biochem that messed up my perfect average.

You need to quit posting that crap. Theres people that get into dental school with 2.5's its not as hard as these dorks on SDN say it is. Just depends on your DAT and writing skills.
haha... :smuggrin: you're so mean... :laugh:

dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
JakeMUSC said:
haha... :smuggrin: you're so mean... :laugh:
yeah vertical bite... okay i admit i have laughed at some of your comments... :laugh:

but ease up there :D, not everyone had the confidence level that someone with a 3.9 would have...

btw... what school are you planning on going to? :confused:

DDS2BE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
Dude... chill! I had an F for my o-chemistry class (i have BS in chemistry btw), I also had a C for bio-chemistry :oops: and another C for analytical chemistry. Keep your sci gpa over 3.3 and your C's will never be brought up during interviews.

Landshark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Blacksburg, Virginia
Status
We all make bad grades from time to time and I'm no exception. The best thing you can do, if you have the time, is to retake that course to show that you can do better and that will be much more important in an interview, in my opinion. Very few people get it right the first time, which isn't a mistake at all...but what is a mistake is not trying to improve, especially when the opportunity is available to you. Show them you can do better...that's what I'm trying to do anyway :cool:

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
Status
Dental Student
my lowest grades in college

D- in bio lab
C+ in Cold War Class
B- Chem Lab

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
vertical bite said:
get a life.

Man, that's a really high GPA. How come you didn't get a better score on your DAT? I only had a 3.0 science GPA but got the same score. Where did you do your undergrad?

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Michigan
Status
Dentist
Don't worry- a couple of C's won't ruin your GPA much or completely blow your chance at dental school. I have a C in molecular biology (honors..but it's no excuse to have a C in that) and as well as biochemistry. I still got into 2 schools (CASE and U MICH). Key is, apply early! And interview early!

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
dentist_to_be? said:
yeah vertical bite... okay i admit i have laughed at some of your comments... :laugh:

but ease up there :D, not everyone had the confidence level that someone with a 3.9 would have...

btw... what school are you planning on going to? :confused:

pitt.

Dont tell me to ease up. That guy is just posting crap. SERIOUSLY???

DONT YOU AGREE? :sleep: