For those applying to anesthesiology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When are you planning on taking the Step 2? And do you mind including what bracket is your step 1 score is in:
A = <200
B = 201-219
C = 220-239
D = 240-259
E = 260+

Just curious about other applicant's plans. So far, I'm looking at doing mine in Jan or Feb next year, and I'm in category D.

Members don't see this ad.

When are you planning on taking the Step 2? And do you mind including what bracket is your step 1 score is in:
A = <200
B = 201-219
C = 220-239
D = 240-259
E = 260+

Just curious about other applicant's plans. So far, I'm looking at doing mine in Jan or Feb next year, and I'm in category D.

That's a great step I score to be sure. And it will open doors to some top name programs.

Just keep in mind that just because a school is a "top tiered" program, that you can't get not only excellent training at a "lesser" program, but also that you could be happier depending on location, size, and a whole host of variables.

For someone like you, who will likely have plenty of options, I'd try to make a few interviews to some of the lesser known programs. You just may be suprised.

Now, this all depends on whether you intend on joining PP or academia. If PP, then I'd refer to one of JPP's old posts which should still be in the Sticky location. I think it provides some great perspective of what hiring partners seek in new candidates.

cf

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a great step I score to be sure. And it will open doors to some top name programs.

Just keep in mind that just because a school is a "top tiered" program, that you can't get not only excellent training at a "lesser" program, but also that you could be happier depending on location, size, and a whole host of variables.

For someone like you, who will likely have plenty of options, I'd try to make a few interviews to some of the lesser known programs. You just may be suprised.

Now, this all depends on whether you intend on joining PP or academia. If PP, then I'd refer to one of JPP's old posts which should still be in the Sticky location. I think it provides some great perspective of what hiring partners seek in new candidates.

cf

Thanks for the advice, cf! I will take it. I'll be applying to several places in TX that aren't exactly top tier. Are there any other good schools that you were thinking of that you want to specifically mention? I think a large class size, supportive faculty, and healthy residency dynamics (read: hard-working, but friendly faculty that aren't going to threaten "firing you").

Also, I specifically stratified into the categories above to find out what other applicant's strategies are regarding taking the Step 2 in this cycle. Grouping Step 1 scores in categories of 19 points gives a rough estimate of how you did without putting anyone really on the spot or gloating.

A = <200
B = 201-219
C = 220-239
D = 240-259
E = 260+

category D taking my step 2 in a week, just to get that damn thing out of the way.

Nice, Lakers, I envy you getting it done. I'm kind of concerned about messing around with it during interview season.

I'm glad that with 517 views so far, only 1 other med student has shared his strategy with Step 2 timing. :rolleyes:

Nice, Lakers, I envy you getting it done. I'm kind of concerned about messing around with it during interview season.

I'm glad that with 517 views so far, only 1 other med student has shared his strategy with Step 2 timing. :rolleyes:

Category D, taking step 2 on saturday next week.

All three steps of the USMLE exam must be passed before a physician with an M.D. degree is eligible to apply for a license to practice medicine in the United States. U.S. osteopathic medical school graduates are permitted to take the USMLE for medical licensure, which they can also obtain by passing the multi-part Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) professional exam. Students who have graduated from medical schools outside the US and Canada must pass all three steps of the USMLE to be licensed to practice in the US, regardless of the title of their degree. Overall pass rates for first time USMLE Step 1 test takers are: 92% for U.S. M.D. medical school graduates, 81% for U.S. D.O. osteopathic medical school graduates, and 73% for international medical school graduates [3]. Overall pass rates for first time USMLE Step 3 test takers are: 95% for U.S. M.D. medical school graduates, 95% for U.S. D.O. medical school graduates, and 78% for international medical school graduates. (In these statistics, "U.S. M.D. medical school graduates" includes graduates of Canadian M.D. programs.)
The total cost to take all three portions of the process is $2900.[4]

While not recommended by the creators of the USMLE, the Step 1 score is frequently used in medical residency applications as a measure of a candidate's likelihood to succeed in that particular residency (and on that specialty's board exams). More competitive residency programs such as Radiology, Ophthalmology, Plastic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery and Dermatology usually only accept applicants with high Step 1 scores. The Step 1 exam is arguably the hardest and most important examination a medical student will take during his/her career.

ill let you know, i was a high category D and i wouldnt have touched step 2 until after match day but one program that i was interested in demanded that all applicants pass the exam before they could be ranked, so i took it in december, i think. that would be the only thing that would cause me to take the exam before february (i was worried that a less than ideal step 2 score would potentially hurt my match)

Several places where I interviewed last year wouldn't grant an interview without a passing step 2 score. Can't remember specifically which ones, but I remember hearing that.

Several places where I interviewed last year wouldn't grant an interview without a passing step 2 score. Can't remember specifically which ones, but I remember hearing that.

Personally, I think that's really stupid. I could understand not matching someone without a passing Step 2, but not interviewing is a bit extreme. I have several friends that delayed the Step 2 and rocked it just like they rocked the Step 1. Such friends are at places like MGH, but if some schools want to prematurely decrease their pool of good candidates, that's their prerogative.

Some people delay the Step 2 because of logistics. I could take it in November, but I'm trying to do well on it which is why I'm delaying it until Jan or Feb. The irony is that some perceive this as trying to get to the match without Step 2 being considered. While I can understand their suspicion, it's simply not true for me.

Anyone know the timeframe for taking step 2 and having it be option to report with your ERAS?

I believe if you take it early enough it shows up automatically, but there is some time frame where you can choose to report it. (like after you know what you got)

I'm not applying until next year and still trying to figure out my options.

You select to forward your USMLE transcript on to ERAS, but there's an option that allows you to review any new score (i.e. step II) before transmitting the latest scores along. What the schools see, I don't know. I don't know if they can tell that you've taken step II and are holding on to a score or not.
-g

Anyone know the timeframe for taking step 2 and having it be option to report with your ERAS?

I believe if you take it early enough it shows up automatically, but there is some time frame where you can choose to report it. (like after you know what you got)

I'm not applying until next year and still trying to figure out my options.

at the time you are sending out your applications, if your step 2 score is not in yet, then you will have the option of checking it before sending it. If the score is in at the time of applications, then you don't have this option.

for example, if u send ur applications out on sept 1, and ur score comes out on sept 2nd, then u can choose to hold onto it.

if u send ur application out on sept 1, and ur score comes out on aug 30, then the scores are sent automatically...

this is my understanding... hope i'm accurate.

ill let you know, i was a high category D and i wouldnt have touched step 2 until after match day but one program that i was interested in demanded that all applicants pass the exam before they could be ranked, so i took it in december, i think. that would be the only thing that would cause me to take the exam before february (i was worried that a less than ideal step 2 score would potentially hurt my match)

Pretty sure you can opt not to report your Step 2 score if you take it during the interview season. I took Step 2 in October with the option for automatic score release set to no, saw my score, then chose to release it. My med school actually required Step 2 CK and CS to be passed before January of our 4th year.

Edit: Yeah...what anesorbust said.

Congrats on your 241, bro