For those applying to The UC Med Schools...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UCSBPre-Med, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Hey guys. I'm new here, and I am a Senior at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

For those who have their sights on UC med schools, like myself, how's it going? I haven't gotten any interviews to UC's, and I haven't even gotten a secondary app to UCSF or UC Irvine!

Are any of you guys having the same problems with the wait game? Thats the bad thing about our awesome state--so many people, so many applicants, long waits.

So who else is checking that email for a possible interview schedule?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. how many med schools are in california?

4. There are nine:

1. UC San Francisco
    2. UC Davis
    3. UCLA
    4. UC Irvine
    5. UC San Diego
    6. Stanford
    7. Drew University
    8. USC
    9. Loma Linda University

5. uffda

uffda Senior Member

5 MD public/state (the UCs): UCI, UCD, UCSD, UCLA, UCSF
    3 MD private: USC, Loma Linda, Stanford
    2 DO private

and then there are Drew/UCLA, UCR/UCLA, UCB/UCSF, sort of hybrids or cooperative options

6. Oh yeah, forgot about the Osteopathic schools. Can't leave those guys out! :p

7. BlueAvocado

BlueAvocado MD/DO Hopeful
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    I think there is another one in cali, I am not sure i was on their web page one time, it was basically a school that was geared for minorities. For disadvantaged people who were from the inner cities. I am pretty sure it was in Cali.

8. Street Philosopher

drew/ucla.

9. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector

There is no such thing as "Drew University."

The "Drew/UCLA Program" is UCLA Medical School with a different application than the regular UC application. The Drew-UCLA people take up spots in the First year UCLA medical school class(not sure how many seats). Then when third year rolls around these people go do their 3rd/4th year clinical rotations at the "Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center" on Wilmington Avenue in Compton(ever listen to Eazy E or watch Boyz N' The Hood?). So applicants to Drew/UCLA are usually from disadavantaged backgrounds or have exhibited a strong desire to work with a disadvantaged population...after all...they are going to be doing their clinical rotations in a county hospital in the middle of Compton.

At that point in time(when the Drew People leave UCLA) The UCR/UCLA biomed people come over to UCLA to do their 3rd/4th year clinical rotations. This way...the spots for medical students at ucla are always filled throughout the 4 years...either by a drew student(1st/2nd years) or by a UCR student(3rd/4th years). (The UCR/UCLA biomed people don't actually get their first/second year lectures from UCLA Medical School. They get those first 2 years of lectures at UCR. They just do their 3rd/4th year clinical rotations at UCLA and walk away with a UCLA Medical Degree.)

Capiche?(did I spell that right?) :)

10. UCLAMAN

Oh yeah...with that said...there are only 8 Allopathic Medical Schools in California. :)

11. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1

The Drew/ucla program has 24 seats.
    At least 20 to 22 of them go to URM.

12. UCLAMAN

thanx sm-ucla tech....makes sense since there 24 UCR/UCLA biomed people coming in.

13. Hey UCLAMAN, I hate to burst your bubble, but there is a Drew University.

Drew University has many programs, all relating to the health profession, such as public health, and genetic counseling programs all for underrepresented minorities.

Drew Medical School, although a part of UCLA's, has its own facilities and hospital. The med school may be highly associated with UCLA, but there are parts of Drew that are not a part of it.

I applied to that school, and got a secondary.

14. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

I was thinking that Drew was actually a separate school. Official name: Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (http://www.cdrewu.edu/)

15. Curci

Curci The Master Chief

Hey! There IS a Drew University! It's just not in California. Drew University is a very nice, small, liberal arts college in New Jersey. I should know; I go to school there!! Please see www.drew.edu for more information. :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. UCLAMAN

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. Straight off their website. Drew does indeed have many health profession programs.

My point was that the MD lectures you would be receiving if you got into the program would be from UCLA. If accepted into the Drew program you WILL be taking up a spot at the UCLA School of Medicine. Then your 3rd and 4th year education/clinical rotations would be over at Drew.

18. Why do you say they are "taking up" UCLA spots? Those spots were allotted to Drew University students. If this program did not exist, the class would be smaller, and they wouldn't fill them up with purely UCLA students.

19. UCLAMAN

Whoa whoa whoa, I don't mean "taking up" in a negative or bitter way. I simply wanted to make it clear that you will be receiving a UCLA Medical School Education for the first 2 years and it will be with the rest of the UCLA Medical Students at the UCLA School of Medicine thats all.

No harm no foul there. :)

Good luck!

20. No problem, UCLAMAN. Don't want to sound like I'm getting upset, cause I'm not. But I did know that before, and I still applied.

Good luck to you too.

'SB