for those discouraged in the PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone who thinks they can't do some of the things on the PAT, or feel it will damn them to a life of not achieving their goal as a dentist...STUDY AND PRACTICE. I just took five practice tests (doing the kaplan course) and man did I improve like crazy! My cube counting improved dramatically once I began making rows for each level of cubes, and doing the table thing Kaplan teaches you. Hole punching improved alot too...and the only problem now is those orthographic projections and the darn paper folding! Any tips on how to ace these sections guys? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dexadental said:
For everyone who thinks they can't do some of the things on the PAT, or feel it will damn them to a life of not achieving their goal as a dentist...STUDY AND PRACTICE. I just took five practice tests (doing the kaplan course) and man did I improve like crazy! My cube counting improved dramatically once I began making rows for each level of cubes, and doing the table thing Kaplan teaches you. Hole punching improved alot too...and the only problem now is those orthographic projections and the darn paper folding! Any tips on how to ace these sections guys? Thanks!

For paper folding, I tried to see if the shaded side was next to something else I could identify. kinda like a die and how the numbers are next to certain others, like finding a point reference in the figure.

dexadental said:

Amen! (in Chrsitianity) or
Swo Pwo He (In Buddhism) to that.

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone. PAT is the easiest section on the DAT to improve. The learning curve is really steep.

dexadental said:

In ortho count events (breaks in the planes). Eventually you will understand that you don't actually have to mentally create a 3D representation of the figure in your mind to get it correct using this method :).

Members don't see this ad :)
The paper folding was always the hardest ones for me. I never had a problem with the non-shaded paterns but for some reason as soon as they started shading them my eyes went crazy. I agree that the PAT is mastered with practice but don't forget your math section. We have all had the materials befor and I found it amazing how quickly it came back. Good luck.

This is one section where practice practice and practice really counts - just like wax-ups and denture building.

DrTacoElf said:
In ortho count events (breaks in the planes). Eventually you will understand that you don't actually have to mentally create a 3D representation of the figure in your mind to get it correct using this method :).

does this method work all the time? I found it hard to use this strategy on some of the problems...but maybe I'm doing it wrong.