For those DOs who took both USMLE and Comlex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you change, if at all, about your studying time/strategy to accomodate both exams? I am a DO plannining on taking both and would like to hear from those in a similiar boat.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest mistakes DO's do is focus too much on COMLEX. DO's are under the impression that certain programs respect the COMLEX and will give your COMLEX score a lot of consideration if you do well. This is not the case. The key is to focus on the USMLE and do well on that. Just try to pass COMLEX and seek to crush the USMLE because that is what program directors will weigh the most. I feel the like the USMLE's questions are a lot more conceptual and require a deeper understanding than COMLEX questions. I put more effort into path and pathophys to compensate for that since DO schools tend to overemphasize anatomy and neuroanatomy.

novacek88 said:
The biggest mistakes DO's do is focus too much on COMLEX. DO's are under the impression that certain programs respect the COMLEX and will give your COMLEX score a lot of consideration if you do well. This is not the case. The key is to focus on the USMLE and do well on that. Just try to pass COMLEX and seek to crush the USMLE because that is what program directors will weigh the most. I feel the like the USMLE's questions are a lot more conceptual and require a deeper understanding than COMLEX questions. I put more effort into path and pathophys to compensate for that since DO schools tend to overemphasize anatomy and neuroanatomy.

I haven't taken either Step 1's yet, but I agree!! Make sure you pass & do ok on the COMLEX, but USMLE is where you really want to show your stuff. And I do feel "weaker" on the Path section also, but I had attributed it possibly to the teaching at my school. But that may be true also - it's more a matter of curriculum focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
(nicedream) said:
The above is bad advice though if you're applying to AOA programs.

True. The above is for if you're aimng for an allo program.

(nicedream) said:
The above is bad advice though if you're applying to AOA programs.

I agree. It's only meant for those applying to allo programs. So disregard my advice if you are applying for AOA programs.

I think a big reason DO's don't do as well on the USMLE is because their understanding of phys, path and pathophys is weak and isn't as emphasized like it is at Allo schools. We tend to overemphasize anatomy, OMM and a lot of clinical minutae. I think this is also why DO's tend to do really well clinically, however.

Reactions: 1 user
thx for the replies guys...

if possible, i would like to attend an allo residency, but as of now i am considering surgery and dont know how realistic it would be for me to get into an allo sx program.

lets say hypothetically that i want to apply to both aoa and allo residencies (and i realize that if i got an aoa spot it would yank me out of the allo match..but dont get me started on that idiotic rule). In studying for boards, if i focused on smashing the USMLE and also beefed up my OMM would i still be prepared to take the COMLEX?

I gues an easier way to ask it would: is it enough to study for the USMLE and still do well on COMLEX? or does require its 'own prep"? My hope would be for the former, so i could just study for one test and be fine on both and then in that case would have the possibilty to do well and be competive for both DO and MD programs (this assumes i smoke both, heheh)

Thanks

corona, i think you'd be safer studying well for USMLE, depending on which you take first, I'm taking USMLE first then COMLEX 2 days later, those 2 days i'll just focus on OMM and anatomy...just my humble opinion :cool: good luck!

I'm taking the COMLEX first and then the USMLE about 10 days later. Honestly, I'm just focusing on USMLE and adding splash of Saverse OMM and a hint of UE/LE anatomy to top it off for the COMLEX.

It's likely that I will be applying for allopathic residencies only so my COMLEX score is practically insignificant. That and the fact that the COMLEX is notorious for off-the-wall questions. How are you supposed to study for those in the first place?

Hope that helps. G'luck. Stay strong.