Launcelot

Lord of the Flies
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2011
Under the sun
Status
Medical Student
Just curious, for those entering AOA residencies that have applied for ACGME accreditation before 2020 (say 2019) and completing the program after 2020, would that resident be recognized for completing an ACGME program or would it still be considered an AOA residency that they completed because they entered before 2020 when it was an AOA-accredited program?

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2007
United States
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just curious, for those entering AOA residencies that have applied for ACGME accreditation before 2020 (say 2019) and completing the program after 2020, would that resident be recognized for completing an ACGME program or would it still be considered an AOA residency that they completed because they entered before 2020 when it was an AOA-accredited program?
I think it's dependent on each specialty's residency review committee. For example, I believe (I could be mistaken) that residents who are in a residency that gets ACGME accreditation during a resident's last two years will be eligible for ABMS board certification. I think it's specialty dependent, and that's what the RRC for FM has decided. Basically of the lädt two years of your residency are ACGME accredited, you're eligible for ACGME board certification.

Reactions: Launcelot
Dec 28, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I think it's dependent on each specialty's residency review committee. For example, I believe (I could be mistaken) that residents who are in a residency that gets ACGME accreditation during a resident's last two years will be eligible for ABMS board certification. I think it's specialty dependent, and that's what the RRC for FM has decided. Basically of the lädt two years of your residency are ACGME accredited, you're eligible for ACGME board certification.
Where did you hear about the 'last two years' rule for ABMS board certification? All I have found is this:

"Board certification will continue to be offered by the ABMS and the AOA specialty certifying boards. Certification and eligibility determinations will remain the domain of the respective certifying boards. The agreement among the ACGME, the AOA, and AACOM is limited to issues regarding accreditation and eligibility of ACGME-accredited programs and institutions. Questions regarding eligibility for ABMS member board certification should be directed to the appropriate ABMS member board; questions about AOA certification should be directed to the appropriate AOA specialty certifying board."

"Some disciplines do accept AOA-approved prerequisite training as eligible for entry into advanced residency positions in ACGME-accredited programs. Others require that prerequisite training occur only in ACGME-accredited programs for such eligibility. Starting July 1, 2016, eligibility for all advanced residency positions will require completion of prerequisite training in a program accredited by the ACGME, the RCPSC, or the College of Family Physicians of Canada. Between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2020, a resident who completes prerequisite training in an AOA-approved program with pre-accreditation status from the ACGME will be subject to the eligibility standards (per specialty) that were in effect June 30, 2013 or July 1, 2016, whichever is less restrictive."
Source: https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PDFs/Nasca-Community/FAQs.pdf