For those going to Albany in the fall...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tchantel21

tchantel21
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here goin to Albany? Does anyone here know when classes start at Albany Medical College. I don't see it posted anywhere on their website

Members don't see this ad.

I'll bite. I don't know the answer to your question, but I remember them saying the beginning of Sept. They haven't given us much info about anything yet. We don't have an official Albany Med 2009 thread yet. Maybe no one else know they are going there for sure. We could start one...

Members don't see this ad :)
ma-bas said:
I'll bite. I don't know the answer to your question, but I remember them saying the beginning of Sept. They haven't given us much info about anything yet. We don't have an official Albany Med 2009 thread yet. Maybe no one else know they are going there for sure. We could start one...

Sounds like a great idea to start our official AMC'09 thread. AMC does have a website that posts all calendar events and general information. This is, however, only available on their INTRAnet. I guess we have to wait till we officially matriculate to have access to this intranet.

From what I was told, classes start the first week of Sept. That must mean that orientation/wcc (white coat ceremony) is the last week of Aug. Has anyone been informed otherwise?

talk2me said:
Sounds like a great idea to start our official AMC'09 thread.

So is anybody gonna start it?

I have friend who's starting this fall. Have you guys looked for housing yet?

tchantel21 said:
Anyone here goin to Albany? Does anyone here know when classes start at Albany Medical College. I don't see it posted anywhere on their website

The first day of class is monday Aug 30, look under the FAQ section in the AMC website you log into to access your secondary/ interview information.

Click on Student profile survey, that contains all you'll need.

AMC Login

Homer Doughnuts said:
The first day of class is monday Aug 30, look under the FAQ section in the AMC website you log into to access your secondary/ interview information.

Click on Student profile survey, that contains all you'll need.

AMC Login

Cool! When is orientation? Any other helpful info?

2tall said:
Cool! When is orientation? Any other helpful info?
Orientation is Wednesday Aug 25 - Friday Aug 27. The exact orientation schedule is available on the secure AMC website I mentioned in my previous post. It contains everything from housing information to exam schedules.

Student Profile Menu
Update Your Profile
View All Profiles (2 profiles submitted)
View Profile Lists
View Housing Information
View Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Main Menu

The answers to all your questions are here, check it out.

Fart. I lost that password months ago when I managed to lose all my emails. Is it like birthdate or was it randomly assigned?

ma-bas said:
Fart. I lost that password months ago when I managed to lose all my emails. Is it like birthdate or was it randomly assigned?

Yeah I think it was totally random, mine is a 5 digit number. Call them tomorrow, im sure you can get a new one.

ma-bas said:

Yeah, I don't have a password either. I just called admissions and she told me orientation is Aug 24 through Aug 29.

She also mentioned that orientation packages will be sent to us (via snail mail) sometime in July. Is the White Coat Ceremony during this orientation weekend? I guess we'll find out in July when we receive our packages.

Have any of you guys gotten a financial aid package yet? I'm still waiting for mine. It's been over a month!

AnotherDork said:
Have any of you guys gotten a financial aid package yet? I'm still waiting for mine. It's been over a month!

Last I heard, the financial aid office said that we should be receiving our financial aid award about the first week of May. If qualified, this will also come with additional scholarship information. I applied about 2 months ago, but I guess this is the average time it usually takes.

One other note. The admissions office reminded me to send in official transcripts from all colleges ASAP since AMCAS does not forward transcripts to AMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im so glad I asked...lots of useful info. Im going up sometime within the next few weeks to look for places to live. Im def tryin to grab something as the 05 class graduates and b4 the wave of acceptees that will come after the 15th. I cannot wait to get moved in and start classes (lame as that may sound) :rolleyes:

Good info everyone. I have gotten supprisingly little info since sending in my deposit. I know they cashed the check, but have heard nothing about medical forms, transcripts, etc.

Regarding housing: as much as I would love to live by myself, it seems more practical to have a roommate. I plan on going home every weekend to see my husband so if anyone wants a female roommate (I prefer female too) who won't be around much, think of me.

When does everyone plan on moving to Albany?

ma-bas said:
Good info everyone. I have gotten supprisingly little info since sending in my deposit. I know they cashed the check, but have heard nothing about medical forms, transcripts, etc.

Regarding housing: as much as I would love to live by myself, it seems more practical to have a roommate. I plan on going home every weekend to see my husband so if anyone wants a female roommate (I prefer female too) who won't be around much, think of me.

When does everyone plan on moving to Albany?

Hey I feel the same way. Im friendly and outgoing but def a live alone type of person, but I know that isn't the thrifty way to go. I am also in a committed relationship (S.O. will be in Virginia though - I envy u having yours so close). I am quiet, clean studious etc. I dont think I want to live in the immediate area around the school -- I think Im gonna go for a nice condo in a slightly more suburban area. Ive found some really nice places where the (split) rent would run b/t 4 or 5 hundred for each of us -- utilities included. Let me know if you are interested :)

tchantel21 said:
Hey I feel the same way. Im friendly and outgoing but def a live alone type of person, but I know that isn't the thrifty way to go. I am also in a committed relationship (S.O. will be in Virginia though - I envy u having yours so close). I am quiet, clean studious etc. I dont think I want to live in the immediate area around the school -- I think Im gonna go for a nice condo in a slightly more suburban area. Ive found some really nice places where the (split) rent would run b/t 4 or 5 hundred for each of us -- utilities included. Let me know if you are interested :)

I'll throw my name in as someone looking for a roommate also! I probably won't start looking until the end of May though (hoping for some quick waitlist movement at another place). Male, 26, nonsmoker, pretty clean, quiet while at home but definitely like to go out, and would like to live within walking distance to campus.

This thread is getting me excited!!

tchantel21 said:

I'll throw my name in as someone looking for a roommate also! I probably won't start looking until the end of May though (hoping for some quick waitlist movement at another place). Male, 26, nonsmoker, pretty clean, quiet while at home but definitely like to go out, and would like to live within walking distance to campus.

This thread is getting me excited!!

tchantel21 said:

Yeah, I'm glad he is going to be close enough for weekly visits. I did apply all over the country so I could have ended up in your position.

I'll definately keep that in mind. I don't necessarily feel like I have to live right near school but I am conflicted b/c although I have a car, I hate having to use it. I don't like to rely on my car for transportation. I have gotten so used to walking and taking public transportation that I prefer it, oddly enough. I don't mind living a bit further if I could bike when it is nice, and take the bus when it is cold.

Anyone know anything about the parking situation at school and/or the Albany bus system?

On a random note, I just noticed the new puking smiley. Is that necessary?

Yeah, I agree. Having access to public transport would be good b/c Im sure there will be many days where driving will not be desirable or feasible -- so that's cool. Whatever you decide I'm glad to be in touch with you and all the other future AMCers on the thread; it makes things a bit more real and more exciting I think. Although the novelty of it all will proabably wear off after a week or so of classes, I'm enjoying the excitement/ anticipation while it lasts

Bumping this up.

Have you guys gotten your fina aid package yet? The misplaced some of my forms and I am only complete a few days ago. :( How long does it take them to process your application and get back to you.

Any more thoughts about housing? Anyone find anything yet?

I was accepted to Albany Med last week. Im also interested in having a housemate probably would prefer someone from California (so we can both be depressed about the weather).

Malo Doc said:
I was accepted to Albany Med last week. Im also interested in having a housemate probably would prefer someone from California (so we can both be depressed about the weather).

Congrats Malo Doc!

I hear you. I went to school in California. It's going to be hard for you.

Everyone, I'm going to start the official Albany 2009 thread. Seems everyone else has theirs, why shouldn't we. I know there has to be more than me who knows they are going to Albany barring any last minute miracles or changes of heart.

We can then discuss all the housing issues, and psyche each other up.

Has anyone recieved a scholarship from AMC and financial aid package? If so were they generous? Albany is my top choice (I have already sent in my deposit), but recieving a scholarship at NYMC has me reconsidering my decision. Anyone else in a similiar bind?