For those going to top 25 med schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's your MCAT? I'm wondering how many were accepted with sub-30 MCATs?

(I took my MCAT in April, and am nervous about MCAT, and I won't know for sooo long, this is scary. :rolleyes: )

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted to Pitt, MCPHU and waitlisted at Hopkins, Cornell, and Columbia with a 28.

(8V, 10P, 10B, S)

34T -

That being said there are SO many other important things (GPA, extracurrics, life experiences, URM status) that can make all the difference. Don't be discouraged if you don't score in the mid to high thirties, it won't keep you out of top schools provided you have other demonstratable strengths. A good friend of mine who has a strong GPA (> 3.7) but a 31S MCAT (who is not a URM) is going to a top 5 school.

But seriously, it's NOT worth worrying before you get your #s back. Try to relax (I know how hard it can be). :)

i got a 21 and got into harvard.

hehhheheh

muahahahhaha, jealous?

ok. fine. i was joking. :D

if you look at the average mcats posted by us news for the top 25 skooLS, u'll get a good idea.
if i had to guess-timate, i'd say its around a 32

jusT like the other posteRs say...

getting into med skooL is more than an MCAT number.

for me, it wasn't! lololololololol

ok, i was joking again..

my MCAT isn't that high but i'm going to UChicago in the fall.

i was interviewed at two of the top 10 schools.

let this be a testament to you all with average MCAT scores...! :)

(okay so fine my GPA is pretty good but not 3.9. your essay and recommendations are taken quite seriously. so don't fret too much about the numbers!)

Thanks you guys, you're making me feel a little better.
Did you guys have high 20 scores?

A good friend of mine got a 29 on the MCAT and has a 3.9 gpa. She got an interview at every top 10 school she applied to- including Harvard, Duke, Columbia...they do look beyond the MCAT.

better to have higher science scores than lower sci scores when it comes to MCAT score in the high 20's

A 'high 20s' MCAT is quite a vague description of the score. Clearly a 7/11/11 is different (and worse) than a 9/10/10 -- at least that's my two cents. . .

You'll meet a lot of people with sub-30's getting interviews at top 25 schools. Not that many of them actually get acceptances though. You'd be surprised. It doesn't take much to get an interview. It's the next step where a sub-30 will definitely hold you back.

Don't worry about your MCAT scores. I remember when I took mine I was nervous all the time (mostly because other pre-meds would constantly ask me if I got my scores yet). In fact, I was seriously considering voiding my scores right after the test! Anyway, try not to think too much about those scores. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

By the way, I almost voided my 37. :)

But I heard that the numbers and personal statement etc get you the interview, and then the interview gets you accepted?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Premed2003:
•But I heard that the numbers and personal statement etc get you the interview, and then the interview gets you accepted?•••••It depends on the school. Most schools give you a score on your interview that gets factored in with the rest of your app. Other schools pretty much have it so that your interviewer is your rep and trying to get you in. So it's up to the interviewer whether or not he/she cares about your MCATs. At some schools, the interview is only there to weed out the weirdos and doesn't mean much at all. Other schools say that once you get the interview, it's all about the interview that gets you in. I bet at least some of those schools are lying.

Accepted to Columbia with a 30M/3.5. :) It's definitely not all about numbers! :D