For those in the sandbox

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodstuff33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this site the other day and I found it pretty interesting.

http://www.sudipbose.com/

I was wondering if those of you who have been deployed had similar experiences (i.e. serving on the front lines with bullets flying over your head). I ask this question because the military recruiter I have talked to contradicts this doctor's website saying Army doctors are not on the front lines but in hospitals that are secured. I always take what I hear from anyone, especially recruiters, with a grain of salt; however, I was wondering what experiences some of you had that did serve overseas.

Members don't see this ad.

I came across this site the other day and I found it pretty interesting.

http://www.sudipbose.com/

I was wondering if those of you who have been deployed had similar experiences (i.e. serving on the front lines with bullets flying over your head). I ask this question because the military recruiter I have talked to contradicts this doctor's website saying Army doctors are not on the front lines but in hospitals that are secured. I always take what I hear from anyone, especially recruiters, with a grain of salt; however, I was wondering what experiences some of you had that did serve overseas.

I didn't go through his entire website, but what I read was fairly typical for a doctor attached to as a battalion surgeon. Remember that how often you go off the FOB is directly related to who you deploy with and what your unit's mission is. If your in a Combat support hospital you'll stay on the FOB unless you specifically ask to go off. If you're with a BN or a briagde, you'll go off the FOB b/w 1-50% of the time.
Bad **** happens when you're deployed. You can get blown up while you're on the FOB, but the risk goes up when you leave the wire. That said the overall risk of getting killed or maimed is pretty low.

Bottom line, recruiter is telling you what he thinks you want to hear. The truth is that some docs go outside the wire.

Self-Evident truths that seem to be missed on most people nowadays:

On a road trip, the driver controls the radio.

Guys with lots of money get girls.

If you change lines at the grocery store, the one you moved to will become "the slow line."

If you run from the police, they will chase you.

People who wear military uniforms get deployed to dangerous places (even doctors).

Members don't see this ad :)
Self-Evident truths that seem to be missed on most people nowadays:

On a road trip, the driver controls the radio.

Guys with lots of money get girls.

If you change lines at the grocery store, the one you moved to will become "the slow line."

If you run from the police, they will chase you.

People who wear military uniforms get deployed to dangerous places (even doctors).

LOL :thumbup:

But my friend who is a "full-bird" colonel in the Army says that USAF is "an excellent alternative to military service" lol (joking!!)

its perfectly safe, pumpkin

The only guns I saw on my last deployment were in the arms of the Security Forces guarding the gate. All deployments are not to Iraq/Afghanistan. We also deploy to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Kyrzygstan, Honduras etc. etc. etc.