veenut

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status
i know that you have to do a prerequisite year before your ophthalomology residency. does anyone know what you do this year in? internal medicine?

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well you can do prelim IM, prelim srugery, or transitional year.

I would guess it is a prelim surgery.

About the Ads

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
allisonbk said:
wait- i am interested in ophthalmology, but i did not know about this prelim. year. can someone explain how this residency works?
1 Prelim year where you do all types of suregery or med
3 years strictly eye care/surgery.

MDCali

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2005
Status
allisonbk said:
wait- i am interested in ophthalmology, but i did not know about this prelim. year. can someone explain how this residency works?
I believe you just do a prelim. year in surgery (or whatever else i'm not exactly sure) and then continue into the Ophth. residency. I read on the Stanford website that ophth. is about three years in their program, but I don't know if you do the three years directly out of medical school or after the prelim. year.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Im not sure in the specific specialty of ophtho.

In some places they have linked PGY1 and PGY2-4, while others are separate.

JulioFly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2005
Status
my good friend is going into optho. he graduated from uc davis and he is doing his prelim year at a hospital in SF and then doing his 3 years of purely optho residency at harvard. the way it works is that some programs are combined and sometimes they're not. the prelim year, depending on which program you are applying to, i think you can choose between having this prelim year be internal medicine, or surgery. basically think of it as a 4 year residency, the first year not being specific to optho but more general.

sscooterguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MDCali said:
I believe you just do a prelim. year in surgery (or whatever else i'm not exactly sure) and then continue into the Ophth. residency. I read on the Stanford website that ophth. is about three years in their program, but I don't know if you do the three years directly out of medical school or after the prelim. year.
Ophtho requires 4 years total (thats the 3rs you saw on the stanford website plus internship, ie. transitional/surg year).

sscooterguy

BaylorGuy

Enter witty comment here
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Galveston
Status
I think BB has got this one. Some residencies require a PGY-1/prelimanary year prior to the beginning of the start of a residency...the most notable that come to mind are many of the surgical specialities, optho, and gas. Some have them built into the residencies other do not. On occassion, you can match in one thing, and then transfer to another speciality (this is an exception, not necessarily the rule)....I.E. match in and do a prelim year in surgery, but then switch to gas.

About the Ads