kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Hi All,

I'm planning to apply for both UCSF or UOP for the IDP program starting 2007.

Let us all coordinate on the application process, interviews and practical.

We can also discuss about other schools in CA and other states as well.

rekhamadhuri

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
kichamani said:
Hi All,

count me in

sweetgal

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status
OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
please let me know how we can coordinate between us. I'm open for any mode forum, email or phone.

drnishpatel

nish
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
Status
Dental Student
kichamani said:
please let me know how we can coordinate between us. I'm open for any mode forum, email or phone.

count me in too......by the way where r u from???... most of name s in the forum sounds like indian.... m indian too......just looking for a company.

smartdentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
Status
count me in too, have u`ll finished with the application.

drnishpatel said:
count me in too......by the way where r u from???... most of name s in the forum sounds like indian.... m indian too......just looking for a company.

Dushyant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
Status
hi
I am also applying to CA schools.
BTW i got my toefl score today and scored 106 overall...
but got 26 in speaking.I am worried as UCSF wants 28 in speaking.Anybody in a similar situation?
I have to retake the test but no vacancy............
i am so nervous abt it
Are u guys appling to any other except UCSF,UOP,UCLA and USC.

dentist79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2006
California
Status
hey
good to know this thread...
count mme in too....lets share are doubts n info here....after all thats the reason y we all get on to this here....so my first doubt here is when do CA schools start going through the applications is it as they came or after the deadlines....
bbye

drprashanth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
Status
Dental Student
hi dushayant
i'm in same situation as u are. my toefl overall is 108 but, 26 in speaking.
i'm planning to apply with the same score.if lucky enough, i guess they would consider by seeing the overall.how can they expect to get 28 out of 30 in speaking.how abt the guys who had only cbt..
r u planning to appear again..

OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I will be taking my TOEFL on july 29th but really scared about the speaking part, more over i'm not that much familiar with typing. any ways i have no option.

CBT guys are lucky, I guess they don't have the speaking part.

UOP does not have minimum for each section but only UCSF has.

drprashanth: You are right, how can they expect 28/30. UCLA is reasonalble, their req are

* Writing: 25
* Speaking: 24
* Reading: 21
* Listening: 17
* Total minimum passing score: 87

drprashanth said:
hi dushayant
i'm in same situation as u are. my toefl overall is 108 but, 26 in speaking.
i'm planning to apply with the same score.if lucky enough, i guess they would consider by seeing the overall.how can they expect to get 28 out of 30 in speaking.how abt the guys who had only cbt..
r u planning to appear again..

OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Yes you are right, looks like many are from India and I'm also from India.

drnishpatel said:

xuhaifeng

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
I want apply CA schools too. Do you know when the possible date for interviews of those Schools(UCLA,UCSF,UOP)? I plan to go back China for family event and want stay there long. If you have information, please kindly let me know.

OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
So for around 10 members have shown interest in applying for either UCSF or UOP.

Application deadline is Sep 15th. We don't have lot of time out there and need to start our preparation.

Everyone please suggest a method to coordinate on this among us. All your comments are welcome.

D(M)ental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
Dental Student
kichamani said:
So for around 10 members have shown interest in applying for either UCSF or UOP.

Application deadline is Sep 15th. We don't have lot of time out there and need to start our preparation.

Everyone please suggest a method to coordinate on this among us. All your comments are welcome.
what kind of coordination do you want ? :)
you mean the deadlines,requirements? :)

OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Let me put it this way,

Sep 15th is the deadline for these two schools and i have just started the application process.

* Struck with SOP - In what perspective the answers can be?
* Not sure of the practicals - How difficult it would be? do we need traning for it? if so where to get the traning?
* Interview process - What kind of questions they might ask? etc etc

I'm not expecting straight answers for these questions but wish know where to look for and what are the things needs to be considered when answering these questions.

D(M)ental said:
what kind of coordination do you want ? :)
you mean the deadlines,requirements? :)

ckvk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
california
Status
kichamani said:
Let me put it this way,

Sep 15th is the deadline for these two schools and i have just started the application process.

* Struck with SOP - In what perspective the answers can be?
* Not sure of the practicals - How difficult it would be? do we need traning for it? if so where to get the traning?
* Interview process - What kind of questions they might ask? etc etc

I'm not expecting straight answers for these questions but wish know where to look for and what are the things needs to be considered when answering these questions.
For all those applying to CAli schools-
Sop-this is for u to do.I dont think anyone can help u with this.All I can say is,be honest abt wat u write .The selection comittee will look rite thru u otherwise.

Practicals-I wud advise u guys to buy the basic instruments and practise.Its not very difficult but I wud say practising for abt 2 weeks bfore the interview helps.

Most schools conduct a personal interview.But u need to be confident .

Other than tht it all depends on ur application package,they look for all round proficiency!

I got accepted in most schools in Cali ,as I am busy with school I may not be able to check posts on a daily basis.I will try and help u guys whenever possible.I understand that it must be a testing time for u ,I was in the same boat not long ago.

ckvk

D(M)ental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
Dental Student
ckvk said:
Sop-this is for u to do.I dont think anyone can help u with this.All I can say is,be honest abt wat u write .The selection comittee will look rite thru u otherwise.

Practicals-I wud advise u guys to buy the basic instruments and practise.Its not very difficult but I wud say practising for abt 2 weeks bfore the interview helps.

Other than tht it all depends on ur application package,they look for all round proficiency!

I got accepted in most schools in Cali ,as I am busy with school I may not be able to check posts on a daily basis.I will try and help u guys whenever possible.I understand that it must be a testing time for u ,I was in the same boat not long ago.

ckvk
Very well said :D
It is the overall package not just scores or just the bench test.
In UCSF you work on the manekin for the bench test.
Relax and try to be yourself.About the SOP, as it was mentioned,you have to do it yourself and be honest.
I also understand that the crown preps change every year.UCSF will tell you what they are in advance.

drnishpatel

nish
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
Status
Dental Student
ckvk said:

ckvk
thanx for the post :thumbup: .. it's always nice to see some ray at the end of the tunnel.... most of the people migh not visit SDN after their acceptance ....well they won't need it any more!!!! :laugh: .....no offence ,just a wild guess :) ....atleast some support is there from the senior members.....

OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Hi ckvk,

Thanks for the posting.

Regarding SOP, it is the total responsibility of the concerned applicant. What some of us wish is the direction,what to add and what not to add, of course the content should be original.

There are few like me who does not have many or no friends to help in the application process, choosing right schools etc etc.

Regarding practicals, i went thru the forum, lot of postings makes me scary. Some say we need traning, others say no. Looks like dungan's charge around 2800 for 4 weeks traning. If a senior member like you guide on this, it would be really great.

I have already decided to buy the instruments.

Thanks,

ckvk said:

ckvk

net

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2005
Status
could anybody make a list of the instruments we need to buy in order to do some exercise at home? thanks

shlo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
I have also heard there are video tapes about crown preps etc....does it help???where can we find them?a list of the instruments would also be of great help if anybody knows what to buy.......

Rojarose

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Dentist
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and is planning to apply for all the CA dental schools for IDP program.

I live in bay area and open to coordinate in the appliation process.

Many of you have posted about practicals, i also don't have much knowledge about it can some one share their exp?

OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
welcome to this forum.

i replied to you on a different posting you have created.

Rojarose said:
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and is planning to apply for all the CA dental schools for IDP program.

I live in bay area and open to coordinate in the appliation process.

Many of you have posted about practicals, i also don't have much knowledge about it can some one share their exp?

devilsmile

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Hi,
I am in San Jose CA,
I will also be taking my toefl on 29th July. I am scared also about the 28 in the speaking section. Where are u living.
HAs anybody started writing future career goals.Can anyone give me some tips on making a impressive note.
Regards devilsmile

kichamani said:
I will be taking my TOEFL on july 29th but really scared about the speaking part, more over i'm not that much familiar with typing. any ways i have no option.

CBT guys are lucky, I guess they don't have the speaking part.

UOP does not have minimum for each section but only UCSF has.

drprashanth: You are right, how can they expect 28/30. UCLA is reasonalble, their req are

* Writing: 25
* Speaking: 24
* Reading: 21
* Listening: 17
* Total minimum passing score: 87

devilsmile

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Hi All,
I am also plannin g on applying to UCLA , UOP and UCSF.
Lets take it step by step.
1. Lets all first fill up the application form

1) APPLICATION FORM

2) APPLICATION FEE

3) OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS*

4) ECE REPORT (2.0 and above apply)
5) PART I of the NATIONAL BOARD DENTAL EXAMINATION ( 83% and above apply)

6) ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY- TOEFL (87% and above apply)
7) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (in English)

8) CERTIFICATION OF FINANCES

9) CURRICULUM VITAE

The reason why i have recommended the people with boderline marks also to apply, coz the admissions committe makes it decision not only on your marks but also based on your interview. As long as u have met the minimum requirements, jus apply. Although the chances of you gettinga seat may be low, but by not applying your reducing the chances to :"ZERO". There are people who have got admission with low scores also , everyone has a strong point and if you are able to prove that in your SOP / future career goals you stand a high chance in getting an interview call. Further , in the interview you have to sell your plus points. Try to drive the interview in the direction you are best at. So jus go for it.

If any one has any comments, please feel free to add or correct me if i am wrong.
Now first step.- Lets all jus fill up the application forms for all the colleges.

regards devilsmile

shakti

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Very informative thread! Good job Kichamani. i plan to take my TOEFL on 1 Aug. Still waiting for my NBDE results.

rajjos77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2005
Status
devilsmile said:
Hi All,

Hi devilsmile,
great input!
I just wanted to add a few things.
TOEFL code for the univerisities.
UOP: 4892, no dept code
UCSF: 4840 , department code: 38
UCLA: 4837, dept code: 38

Dead lines:
UOP: Sept 15
UCSF: Sept 15
UCLA: Sept 1

me2005

me2005
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2005
Status
Dental Student
Should the transcripts be sent sent directly from the Dental College where we graduated from?
Thanks

OP
K

kichamani

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
USC - Univ of Southern California

TOEFL
USC 4793, dept code:38

Application deadline Sep 15

rajjos77 said:
devilsmile said:
Hi All,

Hi devilsmile,
great input!
I just wanted to add a few things.
TOEFL code for the univerisities.
UOP: 4892, no dept code
UCSF: 4840 , department code: 38
UCLA: 4837, dept code: 38

Dead lines:
UOP: Sept 15
UCSF: Sept 15
UCLA: Sept 1

Rojarose

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Dentist
Please feel to reply to this posting or send a personal messages if some one lives in California Bay area wants to do group practice for California dental school admissions.

I'm open to share the expenses for tools.

dentist79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2006
California
Status
me2005 said:
Should the transcripts be sent sent directly from the Dental College where we graduated from?
Thanks
hey
No its not important to send them directly from school where u graduated....but it s good if u can do that....the notarised copied can be sent by yiu....as well...

shlo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
I thought sealed envelopes with the college seal is also ok...as long as we dont open them, we can send it with our application package....is that right???

vinita

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2005
Status
Rojarose said:
Please feel to reply to this posting or send a personal messages if some one lives in California Bay area wants to do group practice for California dental school admissions.

I'm open to share the expenses for tools.

hi,
I also live in california bay area and planning to apply in ucsf, uop ,ucla and usc..But I am in India right now and will be there after 15th aug. If there any thing i can borrow from India (like instruments)..let me know.I also want to do group practice.

surav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi,
I am planning to apply only to UOP. Do you know if there is a practical exam for UOP too?

Thanks,
Surav

dentaldoc81

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
surav said:
Hi,
I am planning to apply only to UOP. Do you know if there is a practical exam for UOP too?

Thanks,
Surav

Yes, they have a practical exam too

drnishpatel

nish
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
Status
Dental Student
hey guys,
anyone in north florida region who would like to coordinate personally for applying to califonia collges....travel for interview n practical preparation etc .....anyone like to do it together contact me on [email protected] i live in jacksonville.... thanx

indian bds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Status
Dental Student
count me too ...great thread for all those applying to following schools

Dushyant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
Status
Hello friends,
I am one of u who wants to be a part of CA dental schools.
Do all of u have 28 ar above in IBT speaking?
I am retaking my toefl to score the required for UCSF.
Is anybody with the same problem?

HYDBDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Non-Student
kichamani said:
Hi All,

I would also like to apply to UCLA , UOP , UCSF .... its a good idea for all of us to share info and clear any doubts we have regarding the application process...
:thumbup: Good Luck to ALL of us

HYDBDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Non-Student
me2005 said:
Thanks
For UCLA , UCSF and UOP you can send notarized copies... for USCLA your transcripts should be sent directly from your college or university...

Anybody can correct me if I am wrong...

:thumbup: Good Luck

andaljay

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
Status
does anyone know of free notary in CA. Tried Bank of America, the don`t do it, any help is apprecited. The cheapest notary charges 5 dollars per page.Thanks.

HYDBDS said:
For UCLA , UCSF and UOP you can send notarized copies... for USCLA your transcripts should be sent directly from your college or university...

Anybody can correct me if I am wrong...

:thumbup: Good Luck

Rojarose

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Dentist
Nothing is free in America :)

Yes, cheapest is $5 per sign.

andaljay said:
does anyone know of free notary in CA. Tried Bank of America, the don`t do it, any help is apprecited. The cheapest notary charges 5 dollars per page.Thanks.

rachna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2006
Status
Dental Student
hey,
how r u guys filling the application forms.They r in pdf format.r ull printing the forms and filling them by hand or cut/paste as word document and filling??pls lemme know...is there any other way to do this..

HYDBDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Hi everyone,
I think the number of seats in CA schools are as follows...

UCLA ---- 12
USCLA ---- 32
UCSF ---- 24
UOP ---- 21
LLU ---- 8 + 8

Does anyone have any idea , how many candidates they select in each of these schools for the second stage inteview + practicals ?

D(M)ental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Status
Dental Student
rachna said:
hey,
how r u guys filling the application forms.They r in pdf format.r ull printing the forms and filling them by hand or cut/paste as word document and filling??pls lemme know...is there any other way to do this..
You can do it either way...but for pdf format I am not too sure if you can cut and paste..most are read only

kareena

10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Dental Student
devilsmile said:
Hi All,

1) APPLICATION FORM

2) APPLICATION FEE

3) OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS*

4) ECE REPORT (2.0 and above apply)
5) PART I of the NATIONAL BOARD DENTAL EXAMINATION ( 83% and above apply)

6) ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY- TOEFL (87% and above apply)
7) LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION (in English)

8) CERTIFICATION OF FINANCES

9) CURRICULUM VITAE

The reason why i have recommended the people with boderline marks also to apply, coz the admissions committe makes it decision not only on your marks but also based on your interview. As long as u have met the minimum requirements, jus apply. Although the chances of you gettinga seat may be low, but by not applying your reducing the chances to :"ZERO". There are people who have got admission with low scores also , everyone has a strong point and if you are able to prove that in your SOP / future career goals you stand a high chance in getting an interview call. Further , in the interview you have to sell your plus points. Try to drive the interview in the direction you are best at. So jus go for it.

If any one has any comments, please feel free to add or correct me if i am wrong.
Now first step.- Lets all jus fill up the application forms for all the colleges.

regards devilsmile

hi,
please help me. my nbd part 1 score is 83 and gpa is 3.03 and i also work as a dental assistant what should i do /should i apply or not and do u know somebody who has gotten through these scores.

Perio_2000

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
Thanks for this active thread. just wondering about recommendation letters required by UCSF, it says three Original letters. Does it mean the actual original letter that we have , a fresh letter or an old notarized copy. appreciate your input.

DentalDocCa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2005
Status
hi everyone,
i am really confused abt getting my certificates notarized.
do they have to be notarized by notary public or is it fine if i get it done from commissioner of oaths.i am residing in canada and do not know the place where i can go.plz help
thanks.

Perio_2000 said:
Thanks for this active thread. just wondering about recommendation letters required by UCSF, it says three Original letters. Does it mean the actual original letter that we have , a fresh letter or an old notarized copy. appreciate your input.

Rojarose

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Dentist
I just took TOEFL, i did OK but not sure whether i would get 28 in speaking to apply for UCSF.

I have 90+ score in NBDE and very good GPA.

Any thoughts on this?