Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

For those matriculating at OHSU...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amonkeybutt, May 22, 2002.

1. amonkeybutt

amonkeybutt Senior Member

have you received your acceptance packet? are you going to do the week-long shadowing thing put on by the Department of Family Medicine?

i received the forms for the week-long program but nothing besides that since my acceptance in december. i figure they are busy but perhaps i should check?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doc13

Doc13 Member

I have not recieved my packet yet. I got my acceptance letter in the middle of April. When did you get your packet and what does it contain?

4. amonkeybutt

maybe a couple of weeks ago. the packet just has information on the shadowing program the dept. of FM puts on for incoming students. it's a week-long shadowing experience (you live with the physician if you want). it occurs right before orientation, i think. not sure if i want to do it yet.

5. Doc13

Doc13 Member

Do you know when school starts? Since you are from Portland, do you know where most students live off campus?

6. Hero

Hero Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    most of the students live up the hill if i remember.. it wouldn't be too far from class. or you could live downtown where there are lots of apartments. I stayed w/ a student downtown, it was quit neat. The bus system is really good there too.

7. amonkeybutt

it starts on the 27th of august. hero's right, most people stay up on the hill. off the hill, you can stay downtown, the northwest 23rd street area, or the hillsdale area(which is a bike/bus ride away).

8. P60001

P60001 Senior Member

I was accepted in January, and received my packet in March. Each packet is customized to the student to outline any specific requirements for that student. I also received confirmation regarding their receipt of my Observership acceptance form last week.

Doc13: the Observership begins 8/16, and new student orientation in 8/27.

9. Doc13

Doc13 Member

Thanks for the help.

10. giddygirl

giddygirl Junior Member

I was accepted in February and Jennifer (in admissions) told me that my admissions packet may not arrive until July. I also received the family practice observeship I'm definitely going to do it and I sent it in and received confirmation on it. What about financial aid, have any of you received any fin aid packages yet?

11. amonkeybutt

i called today about financial aid. they said the earliest we would receive a packet is late may.

12. P60001

P60001 Senior Member

I called the FAO last week and was told they have not received the final numbers for tuiton and fees for next year. The woman said it would probably be June before anything would be sent out.

13. buffy

buffy Member

I think the observership sounds great, but I probably won't do it either. I've also spent lots of time shadowing docs the last few years, and b/c I'm doing the MPH (which starts July 29th with Epidemiology), I'll probably want the week off before classes start.

I agree about the financial aid. I wish they were a little faster with this! I called last week and they couldn't tell me anything.