For those not getting invited to interview at Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I get that it's REALLY early in the process and that the admissions process is random and that I may very well get an interview invite from pitt in like Decemeber and still get accepted. Ok, al that said, Pitt seems to be giving out more interviews than anyone else right now and every time I log on I'm seeing another couple SDNers getting invited. And now there's this Pitt-specific interview thread. And so, I feel I am entitled to this vent thread. I want to go to Pitt so badly. I live here with my kids and if we stay here my mom can watch them. And my husband loves his job. And I don't want to sell my house. And I really truly LOVE western Pennsylvania and the people here (get annoyed with the people going to Pitt over in the Allo thread who complain about not liking Pittsburgh) And I've loved Pitt's med school since I was 18 (27 now). It just makes me really sad seeing the interview invites go out and I'm looking for some fellow sufferers.

I'd feel better if they were only going to people with high numbers, but they're not.

Anyone else have the pitt-no-want-me blues??

Members don't see this ad.

MiesVanDerMom said:

I feel like pitt doesnt want me either...thats why i didnt apply lol

nah but i think that wall of fame interview thread this early in the game doesnt do anything but make people high-strung as hell

i think youll be fine... do something to get your mind off things! :luck:

MiesVanDerMom said:
Okay, I get that it's REALLY early in the process and that the admissions process is random and that I may very well get an interview invite from pitt in like Decemeber and still get accepted. Ok, al that said, Pitt seems to be giving out more interviews than anyone else right now and every time I log on I'm seeing another couple SDNers getting invited. And now there's this Pitt-specific interview thread. And so, I feel I am entitled to this vent thread. I want to go to Pitt so badly. I live here with my kids and if we stay here my mom can watch them. And my husband loves his job. And I don't want to sell my house. And I really truly LOVE western Pennsylvania and the people here (get annoyed with the people going to Pitt over in the Allo thread who complain about not liking Pittsburgh) And I've loved Pitt's med school since I was 18 (27 now). It just makes me really sad seeing the interview invites go out and I'm looking for some fellow sufferers.

I'd feel better if they were only going to people with high numbers, but they're not.

really? i was under the impression that the current pitt invites were strictly based on numbers because of the quick turnaround. when someone submits at 11:00pm and gets an invite at 9 the next morning (and maybe even on a saturday), it makes me feel like there's no way pitt could have actually looked at the application.

are you thinking of anyone specific who didn't have high numbers but still got an invite?

either way, hang in there. we're all rooting for you!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
:luck: MiesVanDerMom. I'm positive you'll get an interview invite!

I think at this point it's totally based on numbers. Everyone I've noticed posting in the interview thread has both a 33+ and a 3.7 or higher. It's just the first wave... things will work out! :thumbup:

now i'm feeling like a big whiner. sorry everyone. just looking for fellow pitt-lovers... well, the ones throwing themselves pity parties like myself. this is still whiny, isn't it? uh... go steelers! hey, i know. for anyone who follows pitt football, tyler palko used to be a history student of mine. my husband had to tell me who he was. nice kid.

Severus said:

I think at this point it's totally based on numbers. Everyone I've noticed posting in the interview thread has both a 33+ and a 3.7 or higher. It's just the first wave... things will work out! :thumbup:

there were one or two people who claimed "not stellar stats" and a 31 I thought. maybe said persons will come check this thread out and reply...

thanks for the vote of confidence :) talk me up while you're there. maybe if the adcom overhears heroic things about Miesvandermom, they'll begin purusing me... :laugh:

Erina said:
really? i was under the impression that the current pitt invites were strictly based on numbers because of the quick turnaround. when someone submits at 11:00pm and gets an invite at 9 the next morning (and maybe even on a saturday), it makes me feel like there's no way pitt could have actually looked at the application.

are you thinking of anyone specific who didn't have high numbers but still got an invite?

either way, hang in there. we're all rooting for you!!! :luck:
Edit [nevermind]

I interviewed at pitt back in 2004 when I first applied even though my ECs weren't so hot (numbers were fine). Yet for the next cycle (2006), despite earning a master's degree and having done publishable research, I got no love from pitt.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Hang in there MiesVanDerMom! I probably only got the invite because of my numbers, so don't worry. I bet you will get an interview sooner or later.

You have some great reasons for wanting to attend Pitt, and I'm sure the admissions people will see that. When they look over the files and ask, "Now who will actually choose us?", your name's gonna pop up!

Hey Mom,

Yeah, I'm pissed that I don't have any love from Pitt yet. But you know what? I don't even think they have people reading the files yet. Why should they if they are planning to fill August interviews with Auto-Invites? You know? I bet that they won't even start reading files until mid-August, and invite people based on "total picture" for September, October and November.

I am basing this on my conversation with Columbia, where I found out that their adcom doesn't even arrive until mid-late August.

While when you interview probably has bearing on financial aid and maybe a bit on admission, it's not a huge deal. I was complete in the end of October, got a secondary from Pitt in December, and didn't interview until March and I got in. Though I REALLY would not reccomend doing it this way, I'm just trying to reassure you that you shouldn't panic if you're not being interviewed right off the bat...somebody who was as late as I was in this process still got in. So, best of luck, and don't get worried so soon. :luck:

Hey! First of all, I want to wish you good luck on your venture. Please please please don't get down on yourself (you'll have plenty more months for that) this early in the game. Getting stressed out now is only going to lead you to having a nervous breakdown. July is super early to be sending interview invites. The real action happens in the fall. Keep in mind, that many schools are getting ready to open classes and are super busy with the waitlists for this upcoming year. My state school even told me that they weren't even looking at applications until they had their 1st years settled in for classes. It sounds like you have your heart set on Pitt, but that could easily change. I was in love with my state med school since I was 17 when I was selected to attend a mini-medical school program they hosted. During the interview process, they just didn't impress me as much as the school I'm going to now. When I look back on my admissions process, I realized that everything happened for a reason and I ultimately ended up at the school that best fit me. On the interview trail (and yes, you will get a few interviews at the very least), some schools will really surprise you (or at least that is my experience). This is only the very beginning of game girl. It's a marathon, not a sprint so hang in there :oops:

Hey MVDM, I am definitely in your same boat- not losing any sleep over UPitt dissin' me but still a bit confused when I hear of people with less than stellar (whatever that means) stats buying their plane tickets and practicing their "yinz".
Anyway, I appreciate you making this thread to keep hope alive! :thumbup:

MiesVanDerMom said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Severus said:

I got an "auto invite" and only have a 3.5, but I also have a 36 and will have an M.S. as well. So who knows what their criteria are.

How can we expect Pitt to take time to read our applications before sending out interviews? I mean, they're busy looking out for YOU. Because, as you know, they're a different kind of medical school.

Zyzzyva100 said:
I got an "auto invite" and only have a 3.5, but I also have a 36 and will have an M.S. as well. So who knows what their criteria are.

Schaden Freud said:
How can we expect Pitt to take time to read our applications before sending out interviews? I mean, they're busy looking out for YOU. Because, as you know, they're a different kind of medical school.

:thumbup: :laugh:

Schaden Freud said:
Hey MVDM, I am definitely in your same boat- not losing any sleep over UPitt dissin' me but still a bit confused when I hear of people with less than stellar (whatever that means) stats buying their plane tickets and practicing their "yinz".

Maybe it's one of those cases where Pitt isn't as excited about interviewing people with high numbers because they don't believe the accepted applicants would go there in the long run.

I don't think this is the case because most people consider UPitt to be a great school, but at the same time, I can imagine if you're admitted to, say, UPenn you're likely to turn down UPitt.

:( :( I am the one with the 31 and an interview :( :( And I started the other thread. I'm sorry to make you stress. I'm sure you'll make it through, these schools are waky on their auto-invite kicks. I may have only gotten an interview because of the combo of a 31 and a 3.9 GPA and BCPM but I dunno. I love Pitt too, so I understand why you are so worried. Hopefully they will send you an interview soon!! :luck: :luck:

joanofarc0907 said:
:( :( I am the one with the 31 and an interview :( :( And I started the other thread. I'm sorry to make you stress. I'm sure you'll make it through, these schools are waky on their auto-invite kicks. I may have only gotten an interview because of the combo of a 31 and a 3.9 GPA and BCPM but I dunno. I love Pitt too, so I understand why you are so worried. Hopefully they will send you an interview soon!! :luck: :luck:

Joan, nothing but :love: to ya. Good for you dude. We don't hate the players, we hate the game.

jackieMD2007 said:
Joan, nothing but :love: to ya. Good for you dude. We don't hate the players, we hate the game.

Yeah I know....I still feel bad. I get all nervous and stressed when I don't get things like that so I'm sure its crappy. And Jackie, I am POSITIVE you will be receiving tons of interviews everywhere because you are pretty amazing. :D

joanofarc0907 said:
Yeah I know....I still feel bad. I get all nervous and stressed when I don't get things like that so I'm sure its crappy. And Jackie, I am POSITIVE you will be receiving tons of interviews everywhere because you are pretty amazing. :D

Well, I don't know about amazing, but I am orderly. And a little goofy. Crazy. Sexy. Cool. I can deal with it (I think....) :thumbup:

jackieMD2007 said:
Well, I don't know about amazing, but I am orderly. And a little goofy. Crazy. Sexy. Cool. I can deal with it (I think....) :thumbup:

And all of that = amazing. :thumbup:

joanofarc0907 said:
And all of that = amazing. :thumbup:

Seeing that some people were already getting interviews to Pitt provided the impetus for me to actually submit the secondary in a timely manner. Heck if I know if I'll get an interview, let alone such a quick invite as some people have received, but that possibility/curiosity was enough to get me going.

EDIT: If I do get an interview, I'm really curious to see how it's different from when I interviewed there in high school. Anyone else apply there as an undergrad and get an interview for the med school? (Ha...and, like me, decide to go somewhere else for undergrad despite the preadmittance? I still wonder about that decision...)

yeah Jackie....he's hot...I know you are thinking about it too :rolleyes:

joanofarc0907 said:
yeah Jackie....he's hot...I know you are thinking about it too :rolleyes:

I know. He's kinda shy about it though. Oh well. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think you should recruit him as your SDN pool boy. For reals. :cool:

jackieMD2007 said:
I know. He's kinda shy about it though. Oh well. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think you should recruit him as your SDN pool boy. For reals. :cool:

Oh that would be amazing, Looque, you know you want to :love:

joanofarc0907 said:
Oh that would be amazing, Looque, you know you want to :love:

You have to send him a PM with some nekkid pictures in it. That's what Danjo and I did. It's fun. ;)

jackieMD2007 said:
You have to send him a PM with some nekkid pictures in it. That's what Danjo and I did. It's fun. ;)

HAHAHAHAH I dunno about all that ;) I thought you were married for some reason....why am I thinking this?? Or maybe you are and your hubby allows such adventures

joanofarc0907 said:
HAHAHAHAH I dunno about all that ;) I thought you were married for some reason....why am I thinking this?? Or maybe you are and your hubby allows such adventures

Yeah, I'm married. I didn't send any nekkid pictures. :D But I made you look!!! :thumbup:

I get the distinct impression that I don't know what I'm getting myself into on these boards by coming out of my lurking past...

jackieMD2007 said:
Yeah, I'm married. I didn't send any nekkid pictures. :D But I made you look!!! :thumbup:

Suurrrreee, now you are just covering your ass incase your hubby finds this thread :laugh: :laugh:

Looque said:
I get the distinct impression that I don't know what I'm getting myself into on these boards by coming out of my lurking past...

Its your own fault for posting a pic of the hotness. Not our fault for noticing.
Me, Joan and Erina concurred on this. It's final. :hardy:

Looque said:

aww don't be so shy, we won't bite (unless you want us to) :laugh:

joanofarc0907 said:
Suurrrreee, now you are just covering your ass incase your hubby finds this thread :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: He knows how naughty I am. I don't think he's worried. :D

joanofarc0907 said:
aww don't be so shy, we won't bite (unless you want us to) :laugh:

*high five* Nice, Joan. I think you definitely have joined the girl pack around here.

jackieMD2007 said:
*high five* Nice, Joan. I think you definitely have joined the girl pack around here.

sweet deal. too bad i think i need to have an intervention with myself to get off this forum sometimes :laugh:

So, how 'bout that new Mars Volta material? Pretty awesome stuff...

Looque said:
So, how 'bout that new Mars Volta material? Pretty awesome stuff...

Yeah it is...but you aren't gonna trick us into forgetting your good looks with your impeccable taste in music :D

PS we are officially soooo off topic

joanofarc0907 said:
Yeah it is...but you aren't gonna trick us into forgetting your good looks with your impeccable taste in music :D

Atta girl. Yeah, we really are.

PITT HELLO! INVITE ME!! HELLO!! SERIOUSLY!!

joanofarc0907 said:

If you've actually heard some of their new material (plug: new album "Amputechture" to be released on August 22nd in the US), I'll be quite impressed.

Looque said:
If you've actually heard some of their new material (plug: new album "Amputechture" to be released on August 22nd in the US), I'll be quite impressed.

I have and it is amazing. The end. (yeah I like good music too :love:

joanofarc0907 said:
I have and it is amazing. The end. (yeah I like good music too :love:

Hmm... which songs have you been able to get? I haven't been able to get ahold of the entire leak yet.

HUZZAH PITTSBURGH!

Edit: you should also look for the new TV on the Radio and Cursive, Miss Good Music.

Looque said:
Hmm... which songs have you been able to get? I haven't been able to get ahold of the entire leak yet.

HUZZAH PITTSBURGH!

ahh we are soo off topic, I'll just PM this.

Hmm, maybe I should apply to Pitt. Oh no, I've now increased the number of applicants giving you less of a chance for an interview. Ha ha, my evil plan is working. Towards what, I don't know.

this is the first time i've looked at this thread since my initial desperate posting. feeling better now. things will work out how they're supposed to. i have a habit of melding pre-med stress with my-kid-is-sick stress. deadly combo. thanks for letting me vent my neuroses!

and joan: No! I didn't mean for this to make you feel bad! Not at all. I am truly happy for all the rad SDNers like you getting invites. I tried to find the pitt interview thread to wish everyone luck but I couldn't find it... Best of luck to you! stop by my house while you're in town for some badminton...

now: my kids are getting up in 4 hours. anyone know a cure for pre-med insomnia?? :confused: :sleep:

chaeymaey said:
Hmm, maybe I should apply to Pitt. Oh no, I've now increased the number of applicants giving you less of a chance for an interview. Ha ha, my evil plan is working. Towards what, I don't know.

it's because you're jealous of Bea Arthur's sensuality! Luckily Bea Arthur's laser beam eyes will protect my application...

MiesVanDerMom said:
it's because you're jealous of Bea Arthur's sensuality! Luckily Bea Arthur's laser beam eyes will protect my application...
Guilty as charged. Seriously though, I don't really know much about Pitt except that I had an O Chem prof that graduated from there that I really hated. Of course, the doc at my local PrimaCare also graduated from there, and he's nice. Is there anything special about it? Or do y'all like it cuz of locale?

MiesVanDerMom said:
this is the first time i've looked at this thread since my initial desperate posting. feeling better now. things will work out how they're supposed to. i have a habit of melding pre-med stress with my-kid-is-sick stress. deadly combo. thanks for letting me vent my neuroses!

and joan: No! I didn't mean for this to make you feel bad! Not at all. I am truly happy for all the rad SDNers like you getting invites. I tried to find the pitt interview thread to wish everyone luck but I couldn't find it... Best of luck to you! stop by my house while you're in town for some badminton...

now: my kids are getting up in 4 hours. anyone know a cure for pre-med insomnia?? :confused: :sleep:

badminton sounds pretty amazing. and for the insomnia thing i wish i knew, i got 2 hours of sleep thursday night (only thing that cured it for last night was staying up all day...I was exhausted by the end of the day)

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck with Pitt and your kids ;)

From last year, i remember meeting people on the interview trail who said pitt has an auto-invite based on numbers before they even give secondary (i didnt apply to pitt)

I applied to Pitt and did not recieve one of the automatic invites after submitting my secondary. I did however get an interview invite approximately 3 weeks (i think) after getting my secondary submitted. I then interviewed at the beginning of October and was accepted by the end of october. I also ended up getting a nice scholarship package from them, so just relax and wait for things to unfold. I thought Pitt was a great school and ended up being my #2 choice. Hope this helps... And again relax (easy for me to say though)... good luck :luck: