for those of you taking loans. %subsidized vs. non-subsidized?

• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hey everybody,

i just want to get a feel for the amount of subsidized vs. non-subsidized loans med students get awarded.

How competitve are the scholarships, if any?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Every medical student is eligible for $38,500 in Stafford loans per year of which $8,500 may be subsidized. Subsidized loans are for those that qualify for need-based aid.

Scholarships of any type would be as competitive as you might expect them to be. Some are need-based some are merit-based and some are somewhere in-between.

gwyn779

stargazer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
soon to be Winston-Salem
Visit site
Status
I borrow the max $8500 in subsidized allowed each year and about the same in unsubsidized. I get the max allowed in need-based school scholarships, then the rest is school loans, ~$5k or so.

About the Ads