For those of you who Care VMD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is ValueMD

• Great! Continues to be great

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • So full of agents that it's true worth is questioned

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • School agents have ruined free thought there

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • too much school promotion by the agents of schools

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

oldpro

MS IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another stupid poll:

www.valuemd.com

A good information site or so many school agents and marketing it's "Value" is limited?

I have read through the decent honest posts and the school agents posing as students and trashing / promoting a school there for years at times I never want to read there again! I get tired of the trash there.

I'm asking since I continue to direct people to read there about the schools and I'm starting to question suggesting it anymore!

You can choose more then one

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe because I'm a relative noob over there and really only peruse the SGU forum and occasionally Ross. I found it had great info on SGU, and as I was bringing my wife and son with me to Grenada I found the students on the forum to be extremely helpful when trying to organize off-campus housing, flights, etc.

Definitely a HUGE help for me! :thumbup:

The Admin there is vindictive and useless...screw them.

Although, I like the mods, especially Steph and teratos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe because I'm a relative noob over there and really only peruse the SGU forum and occasionally Ross. I found it had great info on SGU, and as I was bringing my wife and son with me to Grenada I found the students on the forum to be extremely helpful when trying to organize off-campus housing, flights, etc.

Definitely a HUGE help for me! :thumbup:

One thing I have suspected for years, Admin from the school comb through the posts and negative posts seem to stop or never get posted due to intimidation,

At least I suspect this, the Mods allow some schools to be "Attacked" and the Big 4 are kinda protected I feel, at least it seems like that at times.?

Just a feeling

....I have read through the decent honest posts and the school agents posing as students and trashing / promoting a school there for years at times I never want to read there again! I get tired of the trash there.....

I think the greatest source of trash talking comes from students who are either struggling or have failed out. Furthermore, it also depends on the type of information you are looking for. For example, if you start "this school vs that school" thread then usually personal opinions and tempers will fly. The thread usually culminates in the expulsion of one of the members, and the OP is looked upon as either a troll, who started a flame war, or a newbie, who does not yet understand the dynamic of the forum.

But once you have earned your right of passage, and begin to venture into forums reflecting endeavors of more substantial integrity, such as boards, clinicals, or residencies. The aggression and deception of quackery not only subsides, but surprisingly the advice and opinions expressed by others, take on an almost intellectual consistency.

I think the greatest source of trash talking comes from students who are either struggling or have failed out. Furthermore, it also depends on the type of information you are looking for. For example, if you start “this school vs that school” thread then usually personal opinions and tempers will fly. The thread usually culminates in the expulsion of one of the members, and the OP is looked upon as either a troll, who started a flame war, or a newbie, who does not yet understand the dynamic of the forum.

But once you have earned your right of passage, and begin to venture into forums reflecting endeavors of more substantial integrity, such as boards, clinicals, or residencies. The aggression and deception of quackery not only subsides, but surprisingly the advice and opinions expressed by others, take on an almost intellectual consistency.

Yes I have found that to be true, through the years I have become discouraged and then wanted to "Give it one more try" It's so off and on,
It seems between August and September is the heaviest time for the "Fights" at some of the new schools breaks out and there is heavy posting about how bad the school is and some who will then defend the school, to an outsider it seems like a brawl ( to me too even after all these years) but since I can set my clock to it I tend to think that some of it may also be the way Business is done just like an upcoming election, "Let the mud fly".

Thank you to all who have commented so far, I really wanted to know from others these thoughts, I still recommend VMD but as I posted in the past if it is "Valueless" then why tell people about it? It seems it may still hold some Value?:hardy:

Another stupid poll:

www.valuemd.com

A good information site or so many school agents and marketing it's "Value" is limited?

I have read through the decent honest posts and the school agents posing as students and trashing / promoting a school there for years at times I never want to read there again! I get tired of the trash there.

I'm asking since I continue to direct people to read there about the schools and I'm starting to question suggesting it anymore!

You can choose more then one
In my opinion it is better than SDN for things like "where to get your laundry done in Dominica, Grenada etc.." or info on books, professors etc. at the different schools. I think this is owing in large part to the fact that they have forums for the individual schools as opposed to one unified caribbean forum.
With that said, there are a large amount of "school cheerleaders" and trolls, and individuals who understand neither what a legitimate argument is, nor how to recognise one.
I agree with McGill that Teratos and Stephew ( who also posts here usually in Rad. Onc ) are both helpful. The other thing that can be helpful over there for 3rd and 4th year students are the clinical forums where students can get info. on the various carib. schools clinical sites etc.
With respect to info. on medicine in general, the various specialities, less biased mods., USMLEs, Residency apps, etc. SDN wins hands down.