For those of you who didn't match to a PGY2, how long were you unemployed after your residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenJammin

No Apologies
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very curious.

Members don't see this ad.

What about those that completed a PGY2.... How long were they unemployed?

Wasn't. Had a job offer around st Patrick's day. But I was one of the first to have something lined up, most were late April early May.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't apply for pgy-2.. Had a job lined up in mid-feburary

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm a PGY2 and I got my job offer at the end of March. I know a bunch of other PGY2 with jobs lined up. Don't know of any PGY1s with jobs yet though! Maybe a couple.

Was not unemployed. The hospital where I did my residency kept me on in a temporary position until I found a permanent job. I had to relocate for my job though.

Finishing a PGY-2, got my job offer early March. I was willing to relocate though.
I think location, and how flexible you are in terms of what TYPE of job you are willing to take- are big factors in ability to find one.

The interviews still keep rolling in for me too. I wish they were a little earlier so I could weigh my options, but I'm really happy where I'm going. I think a lot of places are getting a late start.

Don't have much to add except I'm very curious about this, too.

I did not match to a PGY-2 so I'm late to the job search and just really hoping I'll be able to minimize the amount of time I'm unemployed as I'm reliant on having some form of health insurance. My RPD keeps talking about grand plans for our "graduation party" and I'm cringing just because I don't have a job lined up... and everything ends so soon!

Luckily I'm willing to relocate, but trying to target a certain few states/areas and type of hospital/job. Going to have another phone interview this week but have not arranged any on-site interviews just yet.

Don't have much to add except I'm very curious about this, too.

I did not match to a PGY-2 so I'm late to the job search and just really hoping I'll be able to minimize the amount of time I'm unemployed as I'm reliant on having some form of health insurance. My RPD keeps talking about grand plans for our "graduation party" and I'm cringing just because I don't have a job lined up... and everything ends so soon!

Luckily I'm willing to relocate, but trying to target a certain few states/areas and type of hospital/job. Going to have another phone interview this week but have not arranged any on-site interviews just yet.

It's not too late and I still know PGY1s that are looking so you're not alone. Good luck! :)