for those of you who failed step II CS the first time and passed on 2nd attempt!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New York

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I failed step II cs and wanted to ask you guys how you studied differently to pass this stupid exam. I failed the CIS part of the exam and honestly don't understand why because I really think I should've passed that part but who knows. augh. this is so annoying in every way possible...having to study again and to pay another 1K to take this useless exam! and now, i'm so anxious and nervous about the exam. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

so I failed step II cs and wanted to ask you guys how you studied differently to pass this stupid exam. I failed the CIS part of the exam and honestly don't understand why because I really think I should've passed that part but who knows. augh. this is so annoying in every way possible...having to study again and to pay another 1K to take this useless exam! and now, i'm so anxious and nervous about the exam. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It's posts like this that scare the crap out of me.... I took it a month ago and still haven't heard- and if I fail I need to take it again before residency starts...

First off, do you mind telling us where your scoring bars fell? Were any of them in the gray/borderline area or was the entire bar below that gray box?

You can PM me if you want instead.

For CIS, the list of what you have to do is straightforward.

1) Counsel the patient's appropriately about their concerns
2) Counsel them on stopping alcohol, drugs, smoking
3) Showing empathy for pain
4) Eye contact
5) Pleasant introduction, shaking hands, etc
6) Pulling out the extension on the table whne they lie down
7) Covering them appropriately with sheet

New York, I'm sorry to hear that you failed CS. I also failed the CIS portion of CS and had to re-take it recently. I haven't gotten the score back yet, so I don't know if what I did helped.

For what it's worth, I reviewed the following books:
1. First Aid - good range of cases with differential dx and tests to order
2. Mark Swartz' The Ultimate Guide and Review for the USMLE Step 2 CS Exam - has cases and sample checklists of components of the physical exam and communication skills that are pertinent to each case. The checklists give a good idea of what SP's might be looking for.
3. Kaplan Step 2 CS - gives you examples of what to say when you're doing certain maneuvers and sample answers to those hard questions/difficult patients
(These books are available at the Mid-Manhattan library.)

I also reviewed a videotape of my clinical skills exam and practiced with someone to get a sense of time. If you can, try to review your tape with a faculty member.

I agree with medblazers' advice. Remember to address the SP's "hard" question appropriately and do proper reassuring, transitioning, summarizing, empathizing, counseling, and closing. Compliment the SP when they say they've quit smoking. One of the books says that everything that the SP does has a purpose. ie: if the SP acts uncomfortable, inquire about his comfort and how you might be able to adjust the bed to help him feel more comfortable.

Giving a good closing is also important, although I haven't found any book that gives a good example of closing. Generally, I said, "Mr Smith, in your history, you said you had symptoms A, B and C, and on physical exam, you had findings X, Y and Z. This could be consistent with diagnoses of 1, 2, or 3. We will order tests/x-rays 4, 5 and 6 to find the cause of your illness and to provide the appropriate treatment. Do you have any other questions or concerns that I haven't addressed?" And convey everything in layman's terms.

In retrospect, the advice that was given to me in the past (ie: all you have to do is introduce yourself, address patient, shake hands, make eye contact, wash hands, drape, simple closing) was inadequate. All the other components listed above are also important and may sometimes be overlooked in the rush to do a thorough H&P in 15 mins.

I hope this helps and don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us and is more of a reflection on the nebulous and subjective criteria of the CIS component. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for your reply medblazer21 and curlywillow!

curlywillow, how long did you study for the retake? I covered everything that medblazer21 listed in his response and still failed! I think if anything, I could've done better on counseling and summarizing/closing but wow...I would've never thought they would fail me because of that. also, i think doing a very thorough closing is sometimes challenging given the time constraint. gosh...i really hope i pass the second time. let me know how you did when you get your results back! thanks!

Passing CIS is hit or miss – it's very subjective and dependent on which SP’s you get. Some people missed stuff but still passed, while others who were thorough failed. I also did most of what medblazer suggested, but I guess my mindset going into the 1st attempt was to try to get as thorough an H&P as possible to try to come up with a differential diagnosis. Maybe I wasn’t as attuned to the SP’s needs as I should have been. So my goal for the 2nd attempt was to try to anticipate the SP’s needs, comfort, pain, and difficult question without neglecting my data-gathering and focused PE, which can be challenging given only 15 min.

I studied for maybe 3-4 hours a day with breaks for 5 days. The books were, for the most part, pretty light reading. I watched videos of physical exams for technique and communication skills:
http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/courses/pom1/videos/index.cfm
http://www.conntutorials.com/video.html

I also got some very useful tips from:
http://csprotocol.blogspot.com/

Then I mentally formulated a script of what I would say throughout the encounter, integrating suggestions from Kaplan, Swartz and csprotocol. I read the mini-cases in First Aid and then practiced on a partner for a few hours on the last 2 days.

On my 2nd attempt, I felt like I did the best I could to treat the SP like I would my own parents. In hindsight, I still missed some things, but I hope I did enough to pass. I'll let you know how I did. I’m crossing my fingers for the both of us.

New York, I just found out that I passed my re-take... so relieved... on to bigger and better things now. Good luck on your re-take, NY!

are any of you out there that didn't get there score back today.

i'm told i will have to wait till next wed. and that means nothing about passing or failing.

I took my test on March 21 (1 day before the last day of that block) and got my score report today (the first reporting date for the block)

I will say that it does take longer to grade the test if you failed, because for quality control purposes they send it to extra reviewers to cover their butts.

That being said, i wouldnt read anything into it.

are any of you out there that didn't get there score back today.

i'm told i will have to wait till next wed. and that means nothing about passing or failing.

I took my exam 2/29 and did not get my score today, even though 3 of my classmates took it the same date and all received their score today.

I was told the same thing that it doesnt mean anything. (I hope!)

Let me say that even on the retake I thought I failed. I missed a lot of stuff.

...did you complete all 12 encounters entirely in the time alloted? Or were there encounters where you ran out of time and still collected enough information to pass? If you have to sacrifice something in an encounter because of time, what do you recommend sacrificing? PE manuvers? Summary? Closing?

i wanted to add this. doesn't mean anything. :) might make you feel a little better.

when i failed CS the "FAIL" score came back on the first reporting period. so i don't there is necessary correlation between passing and failing and your score reported back on the first wednesday.

...did you complete all 12 encounters entirely in the time alloted? Or were there encounters where you ran out of time and still collected enough information to pass? If you have to sacrifice something in an encounter because of time, what do you recommend sacrificing? PE manuvers? Summary? Closing?

I was buzzed out on one encounter, but I was rushed for time on about 5 of them and had to shortchange the physical exam in about 4 different cases. I was able to counsel everyone though.

Anyone have thoughts on what to cut out if running out of time? physical exam portions? history questions? counseling? summary?