For those of you who have been interviewed and rejected....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonwalk44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I interviewed at my dream school - incredibly thankful. After day dreaming about how awesome it would be to go there I started sabotaging my thoughts with a possible rejection from that said school. I felt like the interview went really well, but that’s a subjective thought to some degree.

So, this is a question for people who have been rejected after an interview or if you have anecdotal tips.

Did the interview go completely wrong or was there a certain turning point that forecasted a rejection?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at what I thought was my dream school... I was sick, but couldn't reschedule because I couldn't change the plane ticket and all interview spots were full until Feb+ (this was early Dec). Anyways I went sick, some of the 1-1 interviews went well, some did not. After leaving I did not feel that I did poorly but it could have gone better.

Needless to say, I received a rejection notice a few weeks later.

There is your anecdote. I hope that is what you are looking for.

Rejection after interview simply indicates that the interviewers did not think you would be a good fit for their school. While this may sound depressing, and I was fairly upset thinking that this was my dream school, life goes on. After more time and more research on the school, I recognized that it really was not a good fit for me and I am very glad that I was rejected and ended up not attending there. When deciding which school is your best fit, be real with yourself and your goals. Find a school whose mission/goals truly align with yours. This very well may not be your state school as you've dreamed it would be your whole life.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed at what I thought was my dream school... I was sick, but couldn't reschedule because I couldn't change the plane ticket and all interview spots were full until Feb+ (this was early Dec). Anyways I went sick, some of the 1-1 interviews went well, some did not. After leaving I did not feel that I did poorly but it could have gone better.

Needless to say, I received a rejection notice a few weeks later.

There is your anecdote. I hope that is what you are looking for.

Rejection after interview simply indicates that the interviewers did not think you would be a good fit for their school. While this may sound depressing, and I was fairly upset thinking that this was my dream school, life goes on. After more time and more research on the school, I recognized that it really was not a good fit for me and I am very glad that I was rejected and ended up not attending there. When deciding which school is your best fit, be real with yourself and your goals. Find a school whose mission/goals truly align with yours. This very well may not be your state school as you've dreamed it would be your whole life.

Thank you for the reply. I hope everything else is working out, which it sounds like it is. I will just wait and see. I feel like there’s so much we feel like we can do, but some of it is just letting life play out.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I interviewed at my dream school - incredibly thankful. After day dreaming about how awesome it would be to go there I started sabotaging my thoughts with a possible rejection from that said school. I felt like the interview went really well, but that’s a subjective thought to some degree.

So, this is a question for people who have been rejected after an interview or if you have anecdotal tips.

Did the interview go completely wrong or was there a certain turning point that forecasted a rejection?

Thank you.

I was rejected after interview. The interview went well. I liked the school. I felt like my interviewers enjoyed their time with me and we had a good conversation about all kinds of things. In restrospect though I just didn’t fit the culture there. I’m a very strong, independent person that doesn’t like to be told what to do and they were really looking more for quiet, obedient people ready to be molded. Honestly I’m glad I didn’t end up going there.

Honestly it’s very difficult to tell how an interview went until way later. It’s natural to stress so don’t beat yourself up for worrying about it. You’ll know when you know.

just got a rejection letter from my dream school, should I write a thank you letter to the director for the opportunity?

just got a rejection letter from my dream school, should I write a thank you letter to the director for the opportunity?
No, don't waste your time. They won't rescind your rejection. Let another school become your dream school.

Reactions: 3 users
I just don't understand, my GPA was 3.89 and I exceeded all of their requirements. I will have to go to another school but I do not know what I could have done better. I'm sure my stats are better than the others who applied

I just don't understand, my GPA was 3.89 and I exceeded all of their requirements. I will have to go to another school but I do not know what I could have done better. I'm sure my stats are better than the others who applied
I'm sure you've heard that 'it's more than just stats,' but it holds true for me and some of my friends who have been accepted. We certainly couldn't get into Harvard, but we got into our top schools in spite of low stats. I think personality type and soft skills play big roles in this holistic review.

I'm sure you've heard that 'it's more than just stats,' but it holds true for me and some of my friends who have been accepted. We certainly couldn't get into Harvard, but we got into our top schools in spite of low stats. I think personality type and soft skills play big roles in this holistic review.

Lol way to flex on the guy when he’s feeling down bro

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
@mmathew1 I’m confused, are you aware you’re on a dental forum? You’ve been posting about physical therapy

Lol way to flex on the guy when he’s feeling down bro
Not intentionally trying to ‘flex.’ I was simply trying to express that stats are not the only thing admissions look at with an example. Reading it now, it was poorly worded. Sorry about that, OP.