For those of you who have used WikiPremed to study for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phattestlewt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have used Wikipremed with positive results, how beneficial did you find it?

For those of us scheduled to take MCAT in Jan, and working through SDN's 3month routine, how could we incorporate wikipremed?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been following the WikiPremed schedule for almost three months getting ready for the January exam. I was originally going to take the test in September but I realized I needed to bite the bullet and take enough time for an extensive review after trying to do WikiPremed in just a couple of months. My own feeling is that WikiPremed in less than three or four months is impossible if you follow his schedule, and because this is my second attempt, I am going to make sure not to mess it up. I scored in the mid twenties the first time after using Kaplan.

At this point I'm about 75% of the way through (module 14) and I'm consistently scoring in the low to almost mid 30s on practice tests which I've never done before. I've only got a couple of AAMC tests left so I'm trying not to waste them.

Though it isn't perfect the WikiPremed course has been a great educational experience. One thing that has helped is that I have the disc that comes with the printed materials so I can watch the videos offline at 1.5 speed using VLC player. While they are not all that way, some of the videos can almost make you bananas if you don't speed them up. Please, John, oh my God, just finish your point! Just kidding. He can actually be pretty funny sometimes.

If you do follow WikiPremed I definitely recommend following the WikiPremed schedule in the order he has it because of how the chemistry builds up out of physics in the course. He doesn't have a lot of biology videos but it sets you up really well about halfway through to understand and appreciate biology in new ways. Maybe I could have made my sciences cohere just be another review, but I really credit WikiPremed with helping me understand things better.

If you try to do two modules per week it can take upwards of thirty hours of work to get through everything. I wrote to John about the time factor a few months ago when I was aiming for September and he suggested I concentrate on making sure I have the learning goals down and just skimming the solutions to his crossword puzzles and doing a few other things like that to save time, but I just couldn't confidently accomplish the learning goals at a rate of two modules per week.

As far as weaknesses in the program, WikiPremed could probably focus more on practice tests, edit out a few things, and the verbal reasoning could definitely be better. There are some really good suggestions for verbal reasoning at WikiPremed, and the exercises there are okay, but I had to develop my own program because it wasn't enough. One thing I did was make a score sheet using WikiPremed's categories of VR questions which I use to keep track of how I'm doing with different kinds of questions which is helpful.

Overall, though, WikiPremed has been a big help to me. It turns out there was a lot of the science I thought I understood because I did well in my classes but I really didn't understand it so well. I would definitely recommend it, but not if you are looking for a short-cut.

Last edited: