For those of you who haven't heard a word...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molten

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...how are you dealing with it?

Members don't see this ad.

What are you applying to? MSPEs were literally released just yesterday.

I had all my materials in on September 1 last year and didn't get most of my interviews until October despite being a strong candidate. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm also applying to IM. I've only heard from a couple of programs, and nothing that strong. I also have 1 rejection already. I have some friends with really strong apps who haven't heard a word, so I wouldn't get discouraged just yet. I'm sure you're gonna be fine. Don't worry.

IM.

1 rejection.

And total silence.

take a look at the programs you applied to and do a fair assessment of your chances at them. If you feel uncomfortable send out a few more apps to some noncompetitive places. The rejection may be indicative of how programs of a similar caliber view you.

If you haven't heard anything by the end of the week send out more apps for sure. My guess is that some programs bolused interviews yesterday as I had to reschedule today at one after just getting the invite yesterday and only 5 days out of the total season still had available spots (this is IM btw).

If you haven't heard anything by the end of the week send out more apps for sure. My guess is that some programs bolused interviews yesterday as I had to reschedule today at one after just getting the invite yesterday and only 5 days out of the total season still had available spots (this is IM btw).

Yeah, I got 6 IM interviews so far, pretty much figured I would be able to select any of the available dates. I was wrong, dates are filling up crazy fast. Got my 3rd choice for one of 'em. Another had none of my 3 selected dates and I had to take mid-Jan (have an elective then). What I'm trying to say is, answer your invites ASAP if you want a reasonable date.

What in the name of...? Which programs are these? This hasn't been an issue at any of the programs I've received invites to (including ones I was invited to yesterday). So far I've been able to get my #1 choice every single time.

My school sent out an email to all of us and said that if we hadn't gotten any interviews by the end of this week or early next week that we should let them know (the dean's office who prepared the MSPE). I don't know what they would do to help, but it seemed like they would maybe call some programs or try to intercede on our behalf?

What in the name of...? Which programs are these? This hasn't been an issue at any of the programs I've received invites to (including ones I was invited to yesterday). So far I've been able to get my #1 choice every single time.
There is 1 im place that sent probably all their invites for the entire season in a single day. Invite late afternoon, next morning all but a couple dates were booked. Two days letter checked the broker again just curious and there are 0 dates open.

Just to chime in, had a friend applying IM who replied 1 day after getting an invite and didn't get any of their top 5 choices and had to settle for a date in January. Seems like it's no big deal if a place is doing rolling invites, but it seems like other programs are sending out essentially all of their interviews at once.

i have a quick question... will we hear about the outcome of our application from each individual program that we apply to i.e. interview/reject ? or is there a chance that one has been rejected but not informed by the program at all?

i have a quick question... will we hear about the outcome of our application from each individual program that we apply to i.e. interview/reject ? or is there a chance that one has been rejected but not informed by the program at all?

No, unfortunately you will not hear from every program. You will hear from most of them, but certainly not all.

There is 1 im place that sent probably all their invites for the entire season in a single day. Invite late afternoon, next morning all but a couple dates were booked. Two days letter checked the broker again just curious and there are 0 dates open.

Are you talking about Emory?

My school sent out an email to all of us and said that if we hadn't gotten any interviews by the end of this week or early next week that we should let them know (the dean's office who prepared the MSPE). I don't know what they would do to help, but it seemed like they would maybe call some programs or try to intercede on our behalf?

More likely, they would look over your application/MSPE again and suggest some programs you need to add to broaden your application spread.

To most programs (IM) I applied to, I applied to prelim as well (in addition to categorical), where there was the option to do it on the same application (page).

Is that going to hurt?

Why on earth?

Why on earth?

...would you do that? Good question. Unless you're a particularly horrible candidate and are just loading the boat in the hopes that you'll get an interview somewhere.

The reason it might be harmful is that prelim spots are for people who are going into advanced specialties. Since an IM PD can only see that you applied to his/her Cat and Prelim IM programs (and have no idea whether or not you're also applying to an advanced program), they may assume that you're applying for another specialty and just using IM as a backup. That may piss them off (rightly so IMHO) and as such, they might not offer you an invite since they might be wasting a spot on somebody who doesn't really want to do IM anyway.

...would you do that? Good question. Unless you're a particularly horrible candidate and are just loading the boat in the hopes that you'll get an interview somewhere.

The reason it might be harmful is that prelim spots are for people who are going into advanced specialties. Since an IM PD can only see that you applied to his/her Cat and Prelim IM programs (and have no idea whether or not you're also applying to an advanced program), they may assume that you're applying for another specialty and just using IM as a backup. That may piss them off (rightly so IMHO) and as such, they might not offer you an invite since they might be wasting a spot on somebody who doesn't really want to do IM anyway.

You are scaring me. Relooked- and I've done the double application for 65-70% of the programs I've applied to. I'm not 'particularly horrible' but I'm not competitive either, unless one is willing to interview me, so I thought applying to 'more spots' would help. And I have mentioned IM as my PGY-2 interest. Wouldn't that make it clear? Wouldn't that make it obvious that categorical is my first choice and prelim is a backup that I wish to follow up with more IM?

Holy crap.

You are scaring me. Relooked- and I've done the double application for 65-70% of the programs I've applied to. I'm not 'particularly horrible' but I'm not competitive either, unless one is willing to interview me, so I thought applying to 'more spots' would help. And I have mentioned IM as my PGY-2 interest. Wouldn't that make it clear? Wouldn't that make it obvious that categorical is my first choice and prelim is a backup that I wish to follow up with more IM?

Holy crap.

Hmm... you might want to talk to your dean or someone about this. As a fellow student, I think it looks pretty weird but I'm not an expert. I think it makes sense if you applied, for example, to primary care and categorical, but not so much to also be applying for a prelim year for the reasons gutonc mentioned.

Hmm... you might want to talk to your dean or someone about this. As a fellow student, I think it looks pretty weird but I'm not an expert. I think it makes sense if you applied, for example, to primary care and categorical, but not so much to also be applying for a prelim year for the reasons gutonc mentioned.

^^drained the life's blood out of me.

IMG with no social capital.

^^drained the life's blood out of me.

IMG with no social capital.
I don't think it's a huge deal. If they are interested in interviewing you for a categorical spot, they won't really care that you applied to a prelim. If they consider you only for a prelim, then either they will care about your IM PGY2 interest or not (some programs prefer interns who already have a PGY-2 spot set up, don't want to bother with trying to find you a PGY-2 IM spot. Other programs are happy to have some prelims interested in IM PGY-2, and may pick from them to stay in the program).

I can feel your pain. I have one interview invite so far and total silence from everywhere else. I applied only west coast (Cali) and though I don't have great stats, they aren't terrible either (but probably terrible according to sdn standards), or so I thought. I also thought I applied pretty broadly--almost every IM program in Cali, with the exception of 3 or 4 that were strict primary care, plus some in Arizona and Oregon.

I don't know if I should start panicking now or what. I'm also more on edge because I'm from an Osteo school and have that notion in the back of my mind that this is viewed as a big disadvantage. Any encouragement would be much appreciated :cry::help:

I guess on the bright side I have no rejections.

HOH :luck:

I'm also more on edge because I'm from an Osteo school and have that notion in the back of my mind that this is viewed as a big disadvantage.

well... it is a big disadvantage. Your stats I bet would be ok coming from a allo school but that's just not the way it works for better or worse. Cali programs, even the lower tier cali programs, are simply much more competitive due to desirable location for many. You are not only competing with top allo candidates but also top osteo candidates. Is it an issue applying to more programs on the west? Oregon, Washington, Nevada, etc if you are dead set on west cost. If not keep working your way east... Good luck.

Do you think it's still to early to start calling these programs? I figured I would at least have a decent chance at the kaisers, scripps (mercy), ucla-olive view, etc.

Do you think it's still to early to start calling these programs? I figured I would at least have a decent chance at the kaisers, scripps (mercy), ucla-olive view, etc.

Yes, it's still too early. But you should probably broaden your search if you want to make sure that you match.

Should I add progs in Arizona and Oregon? I'm not sure about Nevada...doesn't seem like they have good opportunities for fellowship. I don't know, this whole thing is really depressing.

Should I add progs in Arizona and Oregon? I'm not sure about Nevada...doesn't seem like they have good opportunities for fellowship. I don't know, this whole thing is really depressing.

Look, you have average stats (I assume) and you're a DO applying only allo. You're likely to find a spot, but you're not going to wind up at Stanford, UW or UCLA. You need to aim at programs that are heavy on DOs. So yes, you need to apply in AZ and OR.

As for fellowship, you know where you'll have the absolute worst fellowship options? Starbuck's, which is where you'll be working if you don't match?

as gutonc said, apply more broadly and do it as soon as possible. The further into the midwest you go the easier it will be for you to find a place. Also look for programs that seem to have a lot of DO residents. It's worse not to match than to match at a location that may not be your ideal.

Well I'm not looking to match at ucla, Stanford, etc. I know I don't have a shot at those progs. I aimed for the midtier and lower tier progs like the kaisers and scripps mercy which have taken DOs. I added progs in Arizona and Oregon. I just don't have a lot of guidance and I wasn't/still am not sure how competitive I am for the progs I did apply to I.e. whether or not I'd get the interviews and if I did what the chances that they'll rank me when rank lists are due.

I don't intend to sound like I'm being picky or anything All Im hoping is that I'd have a shot at matching somewhere in Cali that's all.

Well I'm not looking to match at ucla, Stanford, etc. I know I don't have a shot at those progs. I aimed for the midtier and lower tier progs like the kaisers and scripps mercy which have taken DOs. I added progs in Arizona and Oregon. I just don't have a lot of guidance and I wasn't/still am not sure how competitive I am for the progs I did apply to I.e. whether or not I'd get the interviews and if I did what the chances that they'll rank me when rank lists are due.

I don't intend to sound like I'm being picky or anything All Im hoping is that I'd have a shot at matching somewhere in Cali that's all.

it appears from the invite thread that it's still a bit early for the cali programs, but I concur with what others said and think you should diversify and apply to other places like, now. I think after this weekend it will get a lot tougher to get looks at new programs you're applying to cuz they'd already have given away a lot of their spots. You might still get some cali offers, but I think as a DO only applying on the west coast is risky. I know US allo seniors with good stats who aren't getting tons of love yet for cali. Fortunately I personally have zero interest in going there and didn't apply anywhere in the west, so no skin off my back and just some honest advice.

Hey fellow DO, I'm doing the same thing as your are. I am only applying west coast and it appears to be many of the programs that you have similar interest in as well. Let me ask you this, did you take the USMLE 1 or 2? I think that makes a huge difference. If you did, then bravo, I think you'll at least get a look from the schools you speak of, but you must be patient. If you didn't, then I would say start applying broadly or at least looking at DO programs as well (i.e. Pacific Hospital of Long Beach is west coast and a decent program).