For those of you who said yes to attending NYU, why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V1kTri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. Im considering NYU and I want to know what influenced your guy's desission to attend there!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Queens with my parents so I don't have to pay for any cost of living/rent/whatever. They impressed me while I was there. Despite paying so much all the students seemed to genuinely like it. Their facilities were pretty fresh imo. A lot of clinical experience, too.

Reactions: 1 user
I decided that I was willing to take out more in loans to go to my top choice. The clinical education is great, you get a large/diverse patient pool, and their boards passing rate is as good as any other school. NYC is a great place to be - people say it doesn't matter where you are because you won't have time to do anything but study but you need to make time for yourself to stay sane in dental school, and the city has everything that you could ask for in terms of hobbies or activities.

Make sure you're comfortable with the costs but I personally have no ragrets with my decision (not even a single letter).

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't said yes to attending NYU (haven't even applied to dental school), but the school has GREAT faculty and fantastic research. Clinics are also excellent and they are not lacking for patients.

I decided that I was willing to take out more in loans to go to my top choice. The clinical education is great, you get a large/diverse patient pool, and their boards passing rate is as good as any other school. NYC is a great place to be - people say it doesn't matter where you are because you won't have time to do anything but study but you need to make time for yourself to stay sane in dental school, and the city has everything that you could ask for in terms of hobbies or activities.

Make sure you're comfortable with the costs but I personally have no ragrets with my decision (not even a single letter).
image.png

Reactions: 7 users
You gotta go where you'll be happy , just realize the cost as well, because it will follow you , so have a clear plan of how you'll attack that debt come graduation

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I interviewed at New York University, and thought the clinical education is great - with a diverse patient pool, small group settings despite the large class size, and opportunities through several out reaches. I was drawn towards NYU because of their facilities and the city itself. I mean, who doesn't want to live in a city that is awake 24 hours? I didn't receive an acceptance from the school, in fact, I was waitlisted. I decided to withdraw my application shortly after my acceptance to another dental school. When it comes down to my personal preference, the most important factor when considering a dental school is the cost. Other than that, it was probably one of the best programs out of all the schools I had interviewed at.

I personally do not see the attraction of NYU, maybe it's because I'm from New York so I'm already familiar with Manhattan. I felt the students at NYU seemed pretty unhappy compared to the other three schools I interviewed at. You're also paying like 400k to just be a number. Literally 1/360. You're also paying at least 1200 a month for a closet of living space. Probably more like 2000 for your own bedroom. That's Manhattan for you. They have a great clinic with a huge patient pool I can't deny that but a lot of the labs and facilities seemed a bit dated.

Reactions: 2 users
I personally do not see the attraction of NYU, maybe it's because I'm from New York so I'm already familiar with Manhattan. I felt the students at NYU seemed pretty unhappy compared to the other three schools I interviewed at. You're also paying like 400k to just be a number. Literally 1/360. You're also paying at least 1200 a month for a closet of living space. Probably more like 2000 for your own bedroom. That's Manhattan for you. They have a great clinic with a huge patient pool I can't deny that but a lot of the labs and facilities seemed a bit dated.
Exactly. I have a family member who attends and he can't wait to graduate. He isn't thrilled but it's the only school he got into.

The size of the class was a major turn off for me , I know many people at my college who are in a program with nyu and they end up going elsewhere if they get in , not knock nyu for anyone who loves it or is going there , Just my 2 cents

I work in a corporate dental office and have assisted somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 different doctors from many schools (and largely recent graduates). The best 2, far and away, are NYU alumni. They are the highest-producing, most knowledgeable, and absolutely have the best chair side manner. They know exactly when to treat and when to refer out, and they can handle many patients at once because they aren't used to sitting around waiting for patients during school.

It was also very important to me that I maintained my Spanish and Korean, so a diverse patient pool was a must. One of the dentists I work with is a lot like me--outgoing, but not aggressive. I was worried about needing to fight for patients in such a huge class size, but he told me that he never felt overpowered and was able to learn. I didn't want to end up at a smaller school and just be really good at extractions, and NYU will give you many more opportunities to do a larger variety of treatments. I know of a dentist who says he literally did enough root canals to pass his boards, and nothing more. I won't say where he's from, but it's a big school. He avoids them still. I didn't want that.

Every school I interviewed at, I had a doctor who had graduated from there, and the NYU almumns were also the clearest about why they liked their school.

Last edited:
I work in a corporate dental office and have assisted somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 different doctors from many schools (and largely recent graduates). The best 2, far and away, are NYU alumni. They are the highest-producing, most knowledgeable, and absolutely have the best chair side manner. They know exactly when to treat and when to refer out, and they can handle many patients at once because they aren't used to sitting around waiting for patients during school.

It was also very important to me that I maintained my Spanish and Korean, so a diverse patient pool was a must. One of the dentists I work with is a lot like me--outgoing, but not aggressive. I was worried about needing to fight for patients in such a huge class size, but he told me that he never felt overpowered and was able to learn. I didn't want to end up at a smaller school and just be really good at extractions, and NYU will give you many more opportunities to do a larger variety of treatments. I know of a dentist who says he literally did enough root canals to pass his boards, and nothing more. I won't say where he's from, but it's a big school. He avoids them still. I didn't want that.

Every school I interviewed at, I had a doctor who had graduated from there, and the NYU almumns were also the clearest about why they liked their school.

may be they have to produce the highest to pay for the debt and to make Amurica great again.

I think you kind of bash smaller schools. Where do you get the fact that small schools (smaller class sizes?) just produce students who are proficient extracters or lack severely in some areas whereas NYU grads are well rounded in all areas of competencies?
the board exists for a reason, it licenses people who can become minimally competent at doing so and so procedures (not just test on extraction or test only on root canals).

How do you know other students at other schools (probably you mean schools of smaller sizes) sit, do nothing, and wait for patients? No, trust me, they pop on music and lay down the comfy patient chair to get a nap too.

You can justify your reasons of paying exorbitant amount of dough to attend NYU but no need to bash other schools to feel better about yourself.

I am sure many other schools, albiet much smaller class size, still produce highly competent general dentists, that put students in less debt and less accrued interest.

I believe if you get in less expensive school (70k$ less in tuition for 4 years) in a less expensive
living neighborhood (save around 30-40k$ more) you will drop NYU in less than a heartbeat.

Rant Over: a future student at a "smaller size" school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I believe if you get in less expensive school (70k$ in tuition) in a less expensive living neighborhood (save around 30-40k$ more) you will drop NYU in less than a heartbeat.
Most people would

Members don't see this ad :)
Great discourse and valid points, but were the personal attacks really necessary? LOL I did postbacc work and we're going to the same "small" school :(

I think a lot of people fail to realize that no matter what school we goto, we're going to be ****ty clinicians. We won't really learn how to thrive and succeed until we get out and enter the real world. At least, that's what every dentist I've shadowed has shared with me...

With that said, I think people should go wherever they see themselves being the happiest. Some people place more or less weight on debt, clinical exposure, w.e...everyone has their own unique standards and values.
One thing I will say though is DMD>DDS >: )

may be they have to produce the highest to pay for the debt and to make Amurica great again.

I think you kind of bash smaller schools. Where do you get the fact that small schools (smaller class sizes?) just produce students who are proficient extracters or lack severely in some areas whereas NYU grads are well rounded in all areas of competencies?
the board exists for a reason, it licenses people who can become minimally competent at doing so and so procedures (not just test on extraction or test only on root canals).

How do you know other students at other schools (probably you mean schools of smaller sizes) sit, do nothing, and wait for patients? No, trust me, they pop on music and lay down the comfy patient chair to get a nap too.

You can justify your reasons of paying exorbitant amount of dough to attend NYU but no need to bash other schools to feel better about yourself.

I am sure many other schools, albiet much smaller class size, still produce highly competent general dentists, that put students in less debt and less accrued interest.

I believe if you get in less expensive school (70k$ less in tuition for 4 years) in a less expensive living neighborhood (save around 30-40k$ more) you will drop NYU in less than a heartbeat.

Probably with your credentials and multiple years of doing postbach to pull up that GPA, NYU is the only school that will make you a dentist.

Last edited:

Not trying to argue with you, but your statement seems a bit biased.

I have no doubt that NYU has a diverse patient pool, but it's rather silly to think that other schools can't provide that as well. Even to mention that smaller schools will only make you just be really good at extractions. As a current D2, I can say that that's not right. I have been highly involved in ASDA and have been in touch with a bunch of different dental students from different schools (actually we're having an annual session in Dallas next week). For the most part, our experiences are similar. We go through NBDE1 and NBDE2, then licensure. While different schools put emphasize on different things, the result is the same: legally competent dentists.

What I noticed though, the students are highly individualized. You can find all kinds of people in this community. There are some crazily brilliant kids in a small school, who I know would be very successful once he/she graduate and some people who don't have the right attitude/ competency in a well-known "larger" school. My point is: A school can only help you so much. In the end, it's you who decide what kind of dentist you are going to be. (I could've gone to NYU, see diverse patients, and graduate. Even then, I may choose to just be really good at extractions).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Great discourse and valid points, but were the personal attacks really necessary? LOL I did postbacc work and we're going to the same "small" school :(

I think a lot of people fail to realize that no matter what school we goto, we're going to be ****ty clinicians. We won't really learn how to thrive and succeed until we get out and enter the real world. At least, that's what every dentist I've shadowed has shared with me...

Sorry, I have been in Anger Control Classes but I fail all the classes, so thats why.

I have seriously and honestly have nothing against postbach and extra work that went into making one's application stronger, it just shows more determination. however, i have a bit frustration that someone, who did this route and seem to experience enough hardship through this route (i just realize this and edit my comment but you caught me too fast), put down schools of smaller class sizes without actual personal experience (albeit I think schools of smaller class sizes are harder to get into because they are more selective of the students and are usually public schools)

I live in Queens with my parents so I don't have to pay for any cost of living/rent/whatever. They impressed me while I was there. Despite paying so much all the students seemed to genuinely like it. Their facilities were pretty fresh imo. A lot of clinical experience, too.

You've made the best choice. The free shelter alone would have compensated a lot for the tuition.

All I'm going to say here is I chose NYU because I felt it was better than other offers. Whatever that means to you all is up to you (though I will say "smaller schools" was a poor choice of descriptor, but usually peoples' complaints about NYU is the class size, hence just going for the contrary) but understand that people make decisions based on what they feel is the "better" school. That's not putting down any schools, and of course my views are biased since I did choose NYU, and this is an NYU thread. Notice I also never mentioned any names of schools, just that I liked NYU above others while others are bashing my school. How biased is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I believe if you get in less expensive school (70k$ less in tuition for 4 years) in a less expensive
living neighborhood (save around 30-40k$ more) you will drop NYU in less than a heartbeat.

Seeing your original quote is actually quite hurtful, and I'm wanting to set the record straight.

I am WELL aware my academic record is not top notch. But going into this application cycle I had over 2,500 hours of shadowing and assisting. These hours were clocked in at a clinic many dental students would reject working in because we work with a very challenging group of patients. In this office I am cursed at daily, I've been spit on, and generally treated like dirt, but I stay because I love dentistry and I feel I am doing the right thing for struggling communities. This experience, along with being an urban teacher for 3 years in one of the hardest school districts in the country, more than made up for my GPA that you don't see as so worthy. I also never did a post-bac.

I posted my GPA certainly knowing it could be scrutinized. I posted it though because so many people are going into this application process feeling unworthy just like I did. But I wanted to leave it up because I felt it important for people to know that they are capable of multiple interviews and acceptances; some of which were indeed less expensive than NYU, but I chose it because I felt it was the best school for me.

I posted in this thread because OP wanted to know why NYU, and those are my reasons. Anybody giving advice would give compare and contrast anecdotes from their personal experiences that someone from another school could potentially be offended by, or certainly seen as inaccurate. Since this was an NYU-specific post, I felt it appropriate to mention the things I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
anyhow, i remembered reading ur story after a while and after i commented

true u went through a lot and thats not a thing I could have done. but my point is ur original posts bash schools of smaller class sizes and their lack of clinical skills, which will offend quite a few people here.

What you'll find in dentistry are those who take initiative to learn more procedures and step outside their bounds of comfort to tackle challenging cases, are going to be, without a doubt, a head of their peers. I too have worked with many doctors, around 30 or so, and I have found that at the end of the day, the school where you went has little say on your clinical expertise. You will see more patients in your first year than all four years of your dental school career, and it is outside of school where you will gain the experiences that differentiate you among everyone else. There are doctors who do the minimum and get by, and there are others who will push themselves to become proficient at many different procedures so they have a wider scope of practice.

What is also true is that students who take initiative to learn and receptively observe during their education will be those that are most successful. I worked with one doctor who graduated from a very respected school, and despite that, he was among the worst clinicians I have ever worked for. He candidly told me that dental school was a breeze, and judging from his work, he clearly didn't put his best foot forward in school. Those who were passionate about learning and becoming proficient will excel, regardless of the school they attend.

At a new private school I interviewed at I saw that some students were doing molar endo, placing implants, and extracting bony-impacted thirds. I was surprised that a school without much of a name afforded the students these opportunities. Why these students? Because they wanted to learn and were actively trying to better themselves and broaden their clinical experiences.

And about the root canal tidbit... If you are a generalist and are tasked with a difficult molar endo case, then referring out may be a wiser financial choice. As a generalist, insurance companies reimburse you less than a specialist for those procedures, and often times your generalist background will allow you to do more generalist procedures in the same time than you could one challenging endo case and come ahead financially.

Last edited:
At a new private school I interviewed at I saw that some students were doing molar endo, placing implants, and extracting bony-impacted thirds. I was surprised that a school without much of a name afforded the students these opportunities. Why these students? Because they wanted to learn and were actively trying to better themselves and broaden their clinical experiences.

Is this private school in the Southwest part of the US?

I interviewed at NYU, and I'm absolutely ecstatic that I didn't go there. First off, our student interviewer was the biggest dental student gunner/egomaniac that I have ever witnessed. Talking about how he was better than other students, and how he can handle dental school and others can't. My faculty interviewer was this old school specialist that kept questioning why I applied to 10+ schools and not just one like he did. He then proceeded to ask me geography questions like it had anything to do with myself or dental school. As we were touring the school a random student saw us and literally told us not to go there, and she was seriously distraught while saying it. I could honestly go on and on, but I'll just summarize it by saying this school accepts so many students and literally robs them at that price of tuition.

I interviewed at NYU, and I'm absolutely ecstatic that I didn't go there. First off, our student interviewer was the biggest dental student gunner/egomaniac that I have ever witnessed. Talking about how he was better than other students, and how he can handle dental school and others can't. My faculty interviewer was this old school specialist that kept questioning why I applied to 10+ schools and not just one like he did. He then proceeded to ask me geography questions like it had anything to do with myself or dental school. As we were touring the school a random student saw us and literally told us not to go there, and she was seriously distraught while saying it. I could honestly go on and on, but I'll just summarize it by saying this school accepts so many students and literally robs them at that price of tuition.
My NYU interview day was by far the worst one I had. My interviewer didn't even look me in the eyes nor let me ask questions, the tour guides weren't happy, etc. I know for a fact that their grads know their stuff, but it jut seems like a factory to me.

Last edited:
Wow lots of NYU angst here...

As we were touring the school a random student saw us and literally told us not to go there, and she was seriously distraught while saying it. I could honestly go on and on

Please go on- did she give any specific complaints? Did she just say "Don't come here" and leave?

My NYU interview day was by far the worst one I had. My interviewer didn't even look me in the eyes nor let me ask questions, the tour guides weren't happy, etc.

What was the best interview day you had?

thank god I didnt blow 500$ on airfare to attend NYU interview lol.

Mine was honestly awesome. My interviewer had a great conversation with me. My admissions officer was dabomb.com. our student guides were truly happy being there. I also interviewed at a school that would be significantly cheaper, but i walked out of NYU way more impressed.
There is no doubt that there are schools that are better in many aspects, and worse in others. We just need to find what is right for us. Just because I enjoyed my experience does not mean everyone will enjoy theirs.
So you don't have any cutthroat gunners like that in your class? There was never a moment that you became so overwhelmed that you regretted your decision to be there?
All those incidents happened to you in the same day, but they were isolated.

NYU is a very good, very expensive school with a very large class in a very expensive city. I think that sums it up.

Mine was honestly awesome. My interviewer had a great conversation with me. My admissions officer was dabomb.com. our student guides were truly happy being there. I also interviewed at a school that would be significantly cheaper, but i walked out of NYU way more impressed.
There is no doubt that there are schools that are better in many aspects, and worse in others. We just need to find what is right for us. Just because I enjoyed my experience does not mean everyone will enjoy theirs.

So you don't have any cutthroat gunners like that in your class? There was never a moment that you became so overwhelmed that you regretted your decision to be there?
All those incidents happened to you in the same day, but they were isolated.

NYU is a very good, very expensive school with a very large class in a very expensive city. I think that sums it up.

No we don't have personalities like that in our class. Yes, we have gunners like every school, but this individual was way over the top.

Yes school at times has been overwhelming, but there is no way I would ever regret being there. I knew I made the right decision.

No these weren't isolated incidents. Many others agree and have similar experiences. Stop trying to justify the decision you made to attend your ridiculously expensive and overpopulated school.

Wow lots of NYU angst here...

Please go on- did she give any specific complaints? Did she just say "Don't come here" and leave?

What was the best interview day you had?

That's all she told us in passing, as we were moving from room to room during the tour.

That's all she told us in passing, as we were moving from room to room during the tour.

Was there any indication at all that she may have been joking? sometimes it can be hard to tell, but I'm just surprised someone would be so distressed with a program and so bold that they would go out, brazenly in front of a faulty member, and discourage a huge group of prospective students from attending the school, but then not back it up.

I'm just wondering if OP is still around to read all these. lol

Was there any indication at all that she may have been joking? sometimes it can be hard to tell, but I'm just surprised someone would be so distressed with a program and so bold that they would go out, brazenly in front of a faulty member, and discourage a huge group of prospective students from attending the school, but then not back it up.

usually dental students dont joke to strangers about not attending the schools they chose to attend unless something is seriously wrong with the schools.

I have a family member who attends and tells me the same thing. I assisted with the NERB at NYU and several other classmates said they can't wait to get out. A lot of it has to do with insane waiting times in clinic (getting professors to check your work, etc). I'm sure it's an issue at any school, but they just seemed frustrated.

Last edited:

Sorry if I'm confusing you. The student was giving us a tour and the there was another student in passing that blurted out not to go to that school. I'm pretty sure she wasn't joking as she looked like she was or was about to cry lol

anyhow, i remembered reading ur story after a while and after i commented

true u went through a lot and thats not a thing I could have done. but my point is ur original posts bash schools of smaller class sizes and their lack of clinical skills, which will offend quite a few people here.

Well, like I said, "smaller schools" was meant to be a descriptor, not a value statement. Congrats on UNLV, it's a great program and I definitely enjoyed my interview there. Best food of any interview I went to by far. I'm happy with my decision and that's all I was trying to put across here. Ill just end my piece in this thread by saying we all have a fantastic 4 years ahead. :)

No we don't have personalities like that in our class. Yes, we have gunners like every school, but this individual was way over the top.

Yes school at times has been overwhelming, but there is no way I would ever regret being there. I knew I made the right decision.

No these weren't isolated incidents. Many others agree and have similar experiences. Stop trying to justify the decision you made to attend your ridiculously expensive and overpopulated school.
Read the title of the thread. Your input is unsolicited.

Stop trying to justify your decision NOT to attend the school and stop crapping on others who do not agree with you.

My NYU interview day was by far the worst one I had. My interviewer didn't even look me in the eyes nor let me ask questions, the tour guides weren't happy, etc. I know for a fact that their grads know their stuff, but it jut seems like a factory to me.
I felt the same exact way, the interviewer was just trying to grill me and find something wrong with my app, not that he did , but I felt very Unwelcome by him lol, the tour guides weren't bad , but it did feel a bit like a processing factory , nothing personalized about the experience at all

I felt the same exact way, the interviewer was just trying to grill me and find something wrong with my app, not that he did , but I felt very Unwelcome by him lol, the tour guides weren't bad , but it did feel a bit like a processing factory , nothing personalized about the experience at all

I'm sorry your interview went that way. But hey, Columbia is quite impressive, congratulations!

Read the title of the thread. Your input is unsolicited.

Stop trying to justify your decision NOT to attend the school and stop crapping on others who do not agree with you.

Hi Schmoob, Welcome to the internet, where people post their opinions that might differ from yours.

I'll post whatever I want, especially to help out predents that are unknowing to this process and characteristics of certain schools. This was my personal experience and once again I'm happy I didn't attend NYU.

Hi Schmoob, Welcome to the internet, where people post their opinions that might differ from yours.

I'll post whatever I want, especially to help out predents that are unknowing to this process and characteristics of certain schools. This was my personal experience and once again I'm happy I didn't attend NYU.

200w.gif

Reactions: 10 users
I'm attending NYU because it's my only acceptance :D, although I did decline a Roseman interview. NYU was actually one of my top choices, mostly because my wife was very adamant about living in a large metropolitan area. Not being an American citizen (She's Finnish and we just got her green card) she was really worried she wouldn't be able to find a job in her field of computer science so she was really hopeful that I would get accepted to a school in a large immigrant friendly and technology savvy city and NYC fits the bill. We met while studying abroad for a year in Tokyo, she's been living in Helsinki for many years and I'm from Seattle, so NYC as our next life-destination is like a dream come true for us. I'm also really excited to live on the East coast as I've only lived in Washington and Japan (My dad is in the USN). Another reason I want to attend NYU is the name recognition. I plan to move to Finland in the future, hopefully within 10-15 years, so I feel like being a grad of NYU will greatly increase the chances of me being hired as a foreign dentist. I will also have a much higher chance finding another NYU alumni dentist abroad and perhaps s/he will be able to help me find a job more easily. The cost of NYU is a huge con but my wife will help me and my dad is willing to loan a chunk of the money I'll need, interest free. I'm not too worried about the size because I'm used to it, my intro level classes at UW all had 150-400 students in the lectures and I found help when I needed it. I just had to go and seek help rather than wait around for help to find me. The personal anecdotes of the posters above me do worry me a bit, but I think dental school is what you make of it. I'm confident I made a great choice and I'm really excited to start my education at NYUCD!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm attending NYU because it's my only acceptance :D, although I did decline a Roseman interview. NYU was actually one of my top choices, mostly because my wife was very adamant about living in a large metropolitan area. Not being an American citizen (She's Finnish and we just got her green card) she was really worried she wouldn't be able to find a job in her field of computer science so she was really hopeful that I would get accepted to a school in a large immigrant friendly and technology savvy city and NYC fits the bill. We met while studying abroad for a year in Tokyo, she's been living in Helsinki for many years and I'm from Seattle, so NYC as our next life-destination is like a dream come true for us. I'm also really excited to live on the East coast as I've only lived in Washington and Japan (My dad is in the USN). Another reason I want to attend NYU is the name recognition. I plan to move to Finland in the future, hopefully within 10-15 years, so I feel like being a grad of NYU will greatly increase the chances of me being hired as a foreign dentist. I will also have a much higher chance finding another NYU alumni dentist abroad and perhaps s/he will be able to help me find a job more easily. The cost of NYU is a huge con but my wife will help me and my dad is willing to loan a chunk of the money I'll need, interest free. I'm not too worried about the size because I'm used to it, my intro level classes at UW all had 150-400 students in the lectures and I found help when I needed it. I just had to go and seek help rather than wait around for help to find me. The personal anecdotes of the posters above me do worry me a bit, but I think dental school is what you make of it. I'm confident I made a great choice and I'm really excited to start my education at NYUCD!
It was your only choice.

Dude, our UW biochemistry class had around 700 people in it. Talk about BIG!

NYC is a great city so the experience will be great. Congrats.

It was your only choice.

True, but it was one of my top choices before I applied and I did turn down my Roseman interview, which could have been a second option. All in all, I'm thankful I got accepted somewhere and NYC/NYU happens to be a great fit for me :)

I'm sorry your interview went that way. But hey, Columbia is quite impressive, congratulations!
Thank you very much ! And it's nothing personal at all, I'm sure nyu is a great experience ! Just wasn't for me personally :p but to each their own :)

Just to offset the multiple negative experiences that have attracted here, I'll share mine which was a very positive one. My interviewer was extremely friendly and made me feel like she had put a lot of thought into my application prior to interviewing me. We mainly talked about what parts she loved about my application, like how she had really connected with my personal statement, and then she asked me about my flaws like why my gpa was low and gave me a chance to explain. It felt like she genuinely wanted to get to know me, not attack me in any way as others have mentioned. My admissions interview was not as in depth, so I'm a bit indifferent towards the second interview. Didn't make much of an impact on me. The student interviewers seemed very friendly and informative, and really encouraging about being there. They both have good insight as to what it is like being a student/student life. I did notice while touring the school that some students would see us and smile really largely, wave their hands and mouth "don't do it!" But I do believe it was all in good humor as I have also seen this at both of my other interviews. No one that I saw that day seemed genuinely unhappy. Everyone actually seemed very happy. While walking through the simlabs during the tour, the professors even stopped to talk to our group and give us encouragement/words of wisdom, and said they hoped to see us next year. Perhaps my experience was different given the timing of the semester, I interviewed in early February when they had recently back from winter break.
I'm extremely satisfied and eager to begin dental school at NYU. I don't think anyone has anything to say negatively about the program itself, besides tuition costs. Although it is my only acceptance so far, it ranks 2nd in my potential 3 opportunities (the other two I have been wait listed), so let's just say I'm very happy to have the chance to go to what I think is an amazing and reputable school. I truly believe that first impressions sway individuals, and am sorry others have had such negative experiences, but perhaps it just means this school was not meant for them.

Reactions: 3 users
Haha of course im here. I didnt expect so many passionate opinions.

where else have you been accepted to OP?

from your screen name, I can tell you are Asian (vnese) and probably are from California right? do you like NYC?

Haha of course im here. I didnt expect so many passionate opinions.

Lol alright. Just wondering, cuz the discussion seems to be going off on a tangent.