Apr 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I definitely suggest The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America by Norman Gevitz. I just finished reading it, and it was absolutely amazing historical account about the history of the osteopathic profession. It definitely reassured me that DO is the route I want to follow. I read it in about 3 days, so it's a fast read if you want to get it done before classes start again! I think it can help you a little bit with that "Why DO?" question too. . . just thought I would try to be helpful to yall! =)

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status
I definitely suggest The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America by Norman Gevitz. I just finished reading it, and it was absolutely amazing historical account about the history of the osteopathic profession. It definitely reassured me that DO is the route I want to follow. I read it in about 3 days, so it's a fast read if you want to get it done before classes start again! I think it can help you a little bit with that "Why DO?" question too. . . just thought I would try to be helpful to yall! =)

I agree. That's why I have a link in my sig (#2). Highly recommended, and should be required reading for anyone submitting AACOMAS.

droogdoc

It's "bleeping" golden...
Jul 12, 2009
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Me too. Great book, further solidified my decision to go DO only. I have read it twice so far.

May 7, 2009
Status
I was going to pick this up. Is there a significant difference between the 1991 edition and the 2004 edition?

premedmind

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Interesting...where can I pick up this book locally?

jfellings

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Pennsylvania
Status
Medical Student
As others have mentioned, it is a great read for anyone looking to pursue Osteopathic Medicine. I appreciated that it didn't shy away from showing the history of Osteopathy and its development into its current form. I found a copy at my schools library.

OP
Superman MD
Apr 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Interesting...where can I pick up this book locally?

I could not find it neither in my school's nor city's library. So I just purchased it off Amazon. And as for the different editions, I think the most 2004 edition has been udated with like an extra chapter.

mic2377

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2009
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I also read the book. Many of the discussions in the book were quite boring though.

It was very informative about the roots and philosophy of osteopathy, which was something that is difficult to convey over something like SDN.

A recommended read, for sure.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
I'm going to try to read this book before classes start in two weeks.
Well, it couldn't hurt, at this point, but I'd think your time is waaaaaaaaaayyyyy too precious right now to spend on that book. Do something you'll actually enjoy reminiscing about in a few months, when you're nose-deep in the books. :D;)

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
For people who don't pay attention, like me, this is in the member services forum and I don't think replying to the thread is allowed without moderator review of the post.
So did you already try to reply in there and it told you it was moderated?

I know that the moderator thing is how it works in the Site Support and Suggestions forum, but I didn't realize that it was across the board in Member Services. I guess that would make sense, but I'm not sure what the purpose would be of letting users make reviews in fully-moderated forums. It makes discussion difficult.

If that's the case, I'll see if I can find out more info.

So did you already try to reply in there and it told you it was moderated?

I know that the moderator thing is how it works in the Site Support and Suggestions forum, but I didn't realize that it was across the board in Member Services. I guess that would make sense, but I'm not sure what the purpose would be of letting users make reviews in fully-moderated forums. It makes discussion difficult.

If that's the case, I'll see if I can find out more info.
Exactly CB, a screen popped up for moderator approval of the post.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
Exactly CB, a screen popped up for moderator approval of the post.
Yeah I've given it a little thought. I can kind of see it from both angles, but I'll see if I can get some more info about it and/or how we came to the decision to set it up that way.