for those of you with horses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuKIMber

are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have 3 more years of undergrad before hopefully moving on to vet school. I have always wanted a horse and now i am debating buying one. Will i have no time for a horse in vet school? and will i have no time for a job on the side while in vet school? I know med students will have no time for a job or pretty much a life while in medschool. is vet school the same?

should i forget about buying a horse?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say college is probably the worst time to buy a horse. It's why I had to sell mine. Wait to get a horse until you have your degree and a steady, full-time job.

I bought my horse during my sophomore year, "accidentally" - meaning I was in no way planning on buying a horse, or even looking for one. It's a very long story, but he serendipitously fell into my lap and (due to the specific nature of that long story - PM me if you'd really like to hear the whole thing) I couldn't pass him up. I was fortunate to have enough time for him during the rest of my undergrad years (boarded him and saw/rode him 3-4 days a week) and he kept me sane and on-track, probably the best thing I could have done for myself as an undergrad (apart from the financial aspect). When I graduated, I moved to Philly for a masters program and for obvious reasons elected to initially leave him in NY until I could get myself adjusted, become familiar with the area, and find a place for him. Well, before I even got myself completely adjusted, I left my Masters program and moved AGAIN, which was just about a year ago. He is still in NY, I am still in PA, and because of my school/work schedule I only get to see him a few times a year. In addition to my trainer I have plenty of friends where he is boarded who ride and love him when I'm away, so he is still very much in shape, attended to, and VERY happy, but boy does it SUCK mailing away those checks every month but only getting to see him for a day or two every other month. I'm applying to vet school this cycle and (if I get in) plan on finally taking him with me wherever I go - unless I'm lucky enough to end up at Penn :)xf:). Then I'm really not sure what I'll do, given the urban campus and higher cost of living (for both humans and equines!), at least relative to the other schools to which I'm applying. Even if I am able to take him with me, I already have major concerns about how often I will realistically be able to see him.

My long and drawn out point? I love my horse more than ANYTHING (really) and have absolutely no plans to sell him, but I often find myself wishing I did not have a horse. If I could go back 5 years, knowing how things would pan out for me, I would not buy a horse. Aside from the HUGE financial commitment, I do have incredible guilt over not being able to see him more, even though I know he is being well taken care of and loved. I would strongly advise you to wait to get a horse if you definitely have your sights set on vet school. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about this!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely wait if I were you. I don't know how much experience you have will horses, but pretty much anyone will a fair amount of experience (myself included) will tell you that horses are extremely expensive to maintain and can be very time consuming. Going into vet school, you most likely will not have a lot of money to deal with nor will you have much time. Wait until you are out of school.

Until then, you might consider going to a vet school that has a fair amount of equine work (CSU and Cornell come to mind). That way you can be around them and know what you are getting in to.

If you dont have one right now, I would wait. I have one with me now, but I am still in undergrad and have a good situation with him (I rent a room in a house and they have a barn in the backyard that I keep him in) so I can make the time. But unless you can find the perfect situation, I wouldnt get one right yet. I am planning on taking one of my guys with me to vet school, if it doesnt work out I will send them back to my parents farm (which I highly doubt that would happen, I need to be around horses:)) Hope that help:)

Consider finding a leasable horse. I would really not take the additional cost out to own a horse while in school, since it won't be part of the cost of attendance that you can obtain in loans (which may put an uncomfy squeeze on you.) Also, ask yourself, if something really goes wrong, can you afford appropriate care for a horse at this time in your life? We are doing reasonably well in the current economy, and if I worry that an incident with one of my dogs could really damage the balance we currently have...I expect a horse's treatment would be more costly.

Find yourself a nice lesson barn or a nice horse to lease. You will get more riding time for your money and won't be standing out in the cold adjusting blankets or treating boo-boos when you should be studying for organic. Just my experience. ;)

I wouldn't trade my horse for the world, she's everything to me, but sometimes the time and care involved (rough board/share care situation) eats into time I should be focused on school. I hardly ever ride during the semester, even now with summer classes in senior year.

Oh, and you won't need to work an insane schedule around your classes to pay for it!

I am not in vet school (yet), but have finished my undergrad and had horses 3 of the 4 years.

Two of those years I worked off my board, which was a lot of work in a miserable barn. Regardless, I still had plenty of time for my studies with carrying a full courseload.

I didn't ride as often as I had liked when I was working off board, but a majority of that was motivation as I was usually as frozen as a Popsicle by the time I finished cleaning stalls, watering, etc.

The third year (so my senior year of undergrad) I had a ton of time to ride. I didn't have chores, so that was great. I was also working and doing undergraduate research, but still had a bunch of time.

As for vet bills, I think it depends on the area you're in. Here, it's a whole heck of a lot cheaper most of the time to have the LA vet out than take a small animal in for examination & treatment.

Just my experience :)

I vote lease, all the way. Most of the benefits, none of the hassles, and with way less financial involvement and risk. The second I started thinking about vet school I knew it would mean selling my horse (thankfully, with my trainer's help he found a fantastic new home). It's just very hard to justify spending so much extra money on board, farrier, vet, etc etc when I'll be living on loans. And the time factor - I know there are SDNers who are doing well in vet school and still manage to see their horses regularly, but it is not easy!

I second the waiting. I ***LOVE*** my girls (yes plural, I have two) and will never every sell/get rid of them ... they are my 'kiddos' BUT I would not take on the responsibility "fresh" ... both are in their mid to late 20s (so no time to ride is no problem), and one is VERY high maintenance health wise (I'm out there 2x a day... and I full board), the other is not so high maintenance (knock on wood!) but none the less still an expense and still requires time. I constantly feel guilty for not spendig as much time as I would like to with them. I worry about managing them both in vet school (this fall!) ontop of working on my PhD too (yay for dual degrees). The $$$ is huge for them and a constant stress.

I would LOVE it if I were to meet someone who was a horse person and was interested in riding/grooming etc. one of them a few days a week .... so look out for things like that. I would never advertsie for it (never know who you'll find) but if a situation like that arose I'd be thrilled. I would htink that there are other people like me out there....

I'm going against what everyone else is saying. If you can afford it, do it! My horse was one of my most enjoyable aspects of college. I kept him at a full service barn about 35 minutes from school. I was able to ride 4-6 days most weeks throughout college. Granted, I didn't have rough board, so I didn't have to deal with mucking/feeding/turn out/etc. I was very comfortable with the staff at the barn who would ride and care for him if I was unable to make it.

All that being said though, I am starting vet school in the fall and have decided to sell my horse. He is getting older and is no longer an appropriate horse for me. I have maintained a competitive show schedule, and he can no longer do what I want to be doing. I plan on getting a greenie/project type if I find I have time in vet school. I find that I am happier, saner, and more productive academically if I'm able to ride most days.

I find that I am happier, saner, and more productive academically if I'm able to ride most days.
...which is still possible with a lease, by the way! (Just throwin it out there).

I came to horses late (didn't start riding until after undergrad) so I never had to deal with the what to do with horses while I am in college problem. However at this point my horse is non negotiable. I will own my horse no matter what in school or out. But that may mean working an extra job or additional loans or what not.

There are lots of barns out there who I am sure would allow a lease or allow you to work with young/unbroke/green horses (depending on your riding ability of course).

Really my point is that if the horse is a priority you will figure out a way to make it happen. If you can live without it, wait until you are out of school and have money and time to spare.

I would definatly wait. I have had horses since I was a little kid and ended up selling one of my horses, tack, and horse trailer my 3rd year of undergrad. I barrel raced and between work and school I just didn;t have the time I needed to exercise my horses everday like they needed to be plus travel and barrel race on the weekends. I also worked every other weekend and it was just too expensive to keep both my horses when I didn't have time for them. I do still have one horse now but he was the first horse my parents bought me when I was younger and he is pretty old. I dont ride him and alot of people think its a waste of time/money but I couldnt image selling him. But as soon as I graduate and get a steady job you can bet that I willl be on the hunt for a barrel horse and trailer.

...which is still possible with a lease, by the way! (Just throwin it out there).

Very true, and I've been able to find a lot of "free lease" horses, too. I have known SO many great horses over the years going that route, and some of the owners have even offered to give me their horses for free after a few years of riding them. :laugh:

All that being said though, I am starting vet school in the fall and have decided to sell my horse. He is getting older and is no longer an appropriate horse for me.

This may be a distinction that you need to ask yourself too (OP) prior to buying. FOr me, selling just isn't an option (I'm not admonishing cbiscuit9 or anyone else for selling at all though!So pls don't take offense, it's not intended that way. It's just me.). My one mare is 23 and was my first horse 11 years ago ... and the only horse I've had until this fall when another rescue sort of fell in my lap (long story) who is at least 25. I couldn't bare to sell my original horse, no matter what, and although I could probably bare to give away the rescue to a home I knew was exceptional with a first dibs back clause, it would be hard.... if you can go into it knowing that you could sell them if it becomes a problem then that would be a bonus to getting one now I guess.

You didn't give any detail about your previous horse experience, and I think that would play a HUGE factor here. Have you taken lessons? leased a horse ever? do you have some equipment already? Remember that the purchase price is really the cheapest part of horse ownership. If you have never done so I would definitely consider trying to lease a horse first. Like others have said, you still get the enjoyment of riding and loving a horse without a lot of the pitfalls. A horse can "break" the day after you buy it and then you're stuck, but if you are leasing the situation is much more flexible. That said, I'm with the "I will never sell my horse crowd" but I've been lucky enough to grow up with them and I know how heartbreaking it can be to have one that isn't sound or healthy, and I'm prepared to deal with that if something should happen to her while I'm in school.

On the having time in vet school thing, I think that is really on an individual basis. If it is your passion and your horse is your life outside of school then you will make it work, you will find time to ride. The equine vet that I work with now had a horse through vet school, rode 4-5 times a week, competed, and worked as a cocktail waitress. If you will be the kind of person who needs to study right after class or has to unwind by watching TV or something then you'll have to consider what you might be willing to sacrifice in order to have a horse. Of course, sounds like you just finished your freshmen year so chances are your study/relaxation habits will continue to change. Good luck with the decision and if you do decide to buy, look at several horses! I've seen a lot of people settle for horses that were "pretty good" or they "kinda liked" that don't end up working long term, just something to keep in mind.

I was also considering buying a horse this year, as well as applying to vet school. I have ridden and owned horses most of my life and I thought that owning a horse during vet school would be a good idea for stress relief. However, I decided against it due to the fact that I don't think that I could handle the commitment of horse ownership while attending vet school (that is, assuming I get in :xf:) Instead, I am going to try to lease a horse or take lessons while in vet school and then buy a horse post-vet school.