For those of you with long hair...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiramisucheese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you go about preventing your hair from absorbing smells in anatomy lab? I'm not asking about keeping it out of the way (plenty of options for that), but my hair absorbs even the most minor of smells and I don't really want to carry around the lingering odor of cadavers all day...

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't found a great way to avoid it. I've used body sprays in my hair to minimize it, but the only really effective solution is to shower afterward.

Reactions: 1 user
  • You can wear a hair net
  • If your school has showers in the locker room you can wash your hair immediately afterward or go home immediately to shower
  • If I had to run into the lab real quick for some reason or other, I'd pull up the hoodie over my head
Really, though, don't sweat it unless you're worried you'll be nauseated all day from the smell. Everyone at school will know why you smell and no one cares.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing worked for me for it.

Shower afterward is the best option IMO. Good news is your almost done with first and hopefully won’t have to deal with the smell again.

Thanks all! Have any of you tried a head scarf as an extra barrier?

Thanks all! Have any of you tried a head scarf as an extra barrier?
I haven't, but I don't see how it wouldn't help, even if it is just a little bit.

I know you didn't ask about clothing, but I'ma tell you anyway: I think you should wear long sleeves. And glasses (if you have them) or goggles. Even if you have a tendency to get hot and you're like the most careful dissector ever. I never understood how some of my classmates wore scrub tops without a long-sleeve underneath. It was effing cold in that room AND things splash.

I haven't, but I don't see how it wouldn't help, even if it is just a little bit.

I know you didn't ask about clothing, but I'ma tell you anyway: I think you should wear long sleeves. And glasses (if you have them) or goggles. Even if you have a tendency to get hot and you're like the most careful dissector ever. I never understood how some of my classmates wore scrub tops without a long-sleeve underneath. It was effing cold in that room AND things splash.

I appreciate that feedback, thank you! I'll definitely plan on long sleeves...you've convinced me haha.

This may be a dumb question...before or after? I've had terrible luck with dry shampoo for its intended purpose. All of them smell terrible and leave that white powder all over my roots.

Do you just spray it and leave it? For dry shampoo to work properly you have to comb it through your hair, otherwise you get that white powdery look. Some brands are better than others but I have dark hair and can blend it in just fine.

Do you just spray it and leave it? For dry shampoo to work properly you have to comb it through your hair, otherwise you get that white powdery look. Some brands are better than others but I have dark hair and can blend it in just fine.

Hmmmm I actually can't recall from the few times I've tried it, but that may have been the problem haha. My hair doesn't really get too greasy (maybe that's why it absorbs smells so easily), so dry shampoo has never been something I've felt the need to explore in depth.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmmm I actually can't recall from the few times I've tried it, but that may have been the problem haha. My hair doesn't really get too greasy (maybe that's why it absorbs smells so easily), so dry shampoo has never been something I've felt the need to explore in depth.

TBH I’m not the biggest dry shampoo fan for the most part either- it gets hair seeming a little cleaner but it does still keep a weird powdery feel even when it’s combed through properly. I try not to use it too often but it’s good in a pinch. But it does help your hair smell nice so could be helpful for this purpose!

Have you tried doing a leave in conditioner? I seem to recall that was useful, especially with a vinegar rinse.

Shave it. Then move on to year 2. No more hair anatomy smell

Reactions: 1 users
Embrace all the smells and wear them with confidence. If anyone asks, that's what a $300k education smells like.

Reactions: 2 users
This may be a dumb question...before or after? I've had terrible luck with dry shampoo for its intended purpose. All of them smell terrible and leave that white powder all over my roots.
Late to the party but the "Dry Bar" dry shampoo smells amazing and they make it in brunette, so it doesn't actually leave white powder.

i just figured out why that smell was always following me, even after I would change clothes and shower. Hair... didn't think of that. Thanks op.

i just figured out why that smell was always following me, even after I would change clothes and shower. Hair... didn't think of that. Thanks op.

Even after showering? Haha, I think I'm just going to have to wrap my head in tin foil.