MD For those out there who are looking for tutoring or for those who have experience with tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsunnami

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been considering the idea of tutoring Medical students or even applying to Kaplan or similar places to tutor students via the internet.
My question is: what are you looking for in a tutor ?
Also, is it alright to cover 80% of the material or I shouldn't consider becoming a tutor if I don't cover 100% of it ?
My method of studying is usually get 80% of the material right. Why 80% ? Because there are many materials and because to my mind, it's pointless to memorize every bit of detail only for the sake of an OCD memory challenge - now don't get me wrong on this, I simply think that the time you invest in memorizing 100% of material instead of 80% of it could be used instead in improving logical skills in another material, which leads to a more profitable outcome.
For example, instead of memorizing each and every detail in Anatomy, you can learn 80% of Anatomy and spend more time in Physiology, so that your knowledge is going to be more extensive and more balanced.
I think that what many 1st year students don't get is that there are exactly 24 hours in 24 hours - which means that everything has an opportunity cost.

But this is just me and the reason why I'm starting this thread is so that you can point out the possible flaws in my thinking.
I want to know if being a tutor is acceptable as long as I cover 80% of the material, of course making my best effort to highlight the important parts and to make the student understand the material in the best possible way.

Thanks for your feedback !

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering the idea of tutoring Medical students or even applying to Kaplan or similar places to tutor students via the internet.
My question is: what are you looking for in a tutor ?
Also, is it alright to cover 80% of the material or I shouldn't consider becoming a tutor if I don't cover 100% of it ?
My method of studying is usually get 80% of the material right. Why 80% ? Because there are many materials and because to my mind, it's pointless to memorize every bit of detail only for the sake of an OCD memory challenge - now don't get me wrong on this, I simply think that the time you invest in memorizing 100% of material instead of 80% of it could be used instead in improving logical skills in another material, which leads to a more profitable outcome.
For example, instead of memorizing each and every detail in Anatomy, you can learn 80% of Anatomy and spend more time in Physiology, so that your knowledge is going to be more extensive and more balanced.
I think that what many 1st year students don't get is that there are exactly 24 hours in 24 hours - which means that everything has an opportunity cost.

But this is just me and the reason why I'm starting this thread is so that you can point out the possible flaws in my thinking.
I want to know if being a tutor is acceptable as long as I cover 80% of the material, of course making my best effort to highlight the important parts and to make the student understand the material in the best possible way.

Thanks for your feedback !
are you a medical student/resident/attending/phd? (I used to be able to see each user's status under their name but I can't figure out how to view that anymore)
The underlined suggests you are picking the wrong tutoring niche. That said, just because you tutor medical students doesn't mean you have to provide 100% of med school material-tutors in undergraduate don't cover your entire major typically. If you are qualified to tutor a specific subject, go for it; to tutor med students you will need to focus on providing great ways to memorize things (this would seem difficult, coming up with mnemonics that are original and valuable enough to warrant paying someone handsomely for tutoring), or you will need to provide better understanding of the material. I don't think many things in medical school are difficult to understand, but I guess physiology is one area that there may be demand for this. If you choose physiology or anatomy to tutor, you need to be able to provide at least an understanding for 100% of that material.

Reactions: 1 user