For those "pre-professionals" who need a little encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmania

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who was in "career limbo". Here is something.... to know that you aren't alone on this journey.+pity+
http://yayross.blogspot.com/

Members don't see this ad.

The older I get, the more I am able to think to myself, "I really don't care what you think." I read that story and I felt bad for that person who thought she owed her boss some larger explanation, or even cared what she thought in the first place that made her cry on the way home. The concept of a job being a "family" I've heard before. Never forget: there's a reason it's called a "job" and not a "family." Such bull**** is often stated by manipulative people who feel the exact opposite themselves, as was proven here. Let comments like that role off your back, despite the fact that they sting when heard. There are a lot of naysayers in the world. Proving them wrong, succeeding, and living a good life in spite of their mean-spirited soul-defeating comments is the best revenge. If faced with that in the future, the best response? State what you have to say, smile, then don't say anything else. You don't owe someone like that any further explanation... or emotion.

Or, the conversation could've gone more like this, "Hey, I've been here X months and need a raise. You're paying me $Y.YY an hour, I need $Z.ZZ an hour to stay in this job." Short, simple, to the point. Or, "I need more hours"... "I can't work Thursdays".... The $Z.ZZ amount or other requests can be whatever or however outrageous you want. When (not if) they say "no", quit and you've taken the professional high road. You don't need to explain your personal motivations to any employer. It's none of their business. And, deep down, they usually don't care anyway. Remember that.

The following is a very good read on the subject and I agree with it 100%:

http://www.tlnt.com/2013/08/07/workplace-loyalty-heres-the-new-way-it-can-work-on-the-job-today/

This is a theme that I hope all you young-guns remember, and apply, when you make the tough choice to go a la carte and attend medical school on a non-traditional pathway. You are responsible for you and only you in the end.

And, while we're tangentially on the subject, one last great quote about never apologizing. Take responsibility for your actions, recognize your errors, verbalize that you know you made a mistake when it happens, but never apologize.

It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them."
-P.G. Wodehouse

But, try to model and live your life with your deeds and actions where you're rarely in a position that apologies feel necessary.

Good luck!

-Skip

Good luck, hmania. Keep your eyes on the prize.

-Skip