for those switching to the august test date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pufferfish

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. are you taking a break from studying? :scared:
2. are you repeating tpr/kaplan/etc.? :smuggrin:

just wondering what you peeps in the same boat were up to...

Members don't see this ad.

nice signature by the way,......
and yeah, i moved to the august test date cos my summer is practically empty. i figured even with the most amount of lazing about, i should still get mcat studying done. and yeah, i am scared ****less.....know friends who are supersmart and nerdish and they still didn't get 30 which is what I am hoping to get at least seeing as how my GPA is not spectacular......

Oh, I procrastinate a lot too..so when I decided to move the test date, studying cased...got school work to worry about...and no, i didn't take Kaplan at all in the first place.

Psychoanalyzed said:
nice signature by the way,......
and yeah, i moved to the august test date cos my summer is practically empty. i figured even with the most amount of lazing about, i should still get mcat studying done. and yeah, i am scared ****less.....know friends who are supersmart and nerdish and they still didn't get 30 which is what I am hoping to get at least seeing as how my GPA is not spectacular......

Oh, I procrastinate a lot too..so when I decided to move the test date, studying cased...got school work to worry about...and no, i didn't take Kaplan at all in the first place.

thanks ;)

i've heard that too "studying cessation"--that people who postpone actually don't end up studying that much more... i hope to be an exception :oops:

I'm scheduled for this month but am pushing out to August. It's scaring the heck out of me. Applying in October will slam shut some doors.

My logic is this: if you can apply in June with a pretty good score or October with a very good score, you're probably better off taking the MCAT in April and applying in June, all other things being equal. If can apply in June with a bad score or October with a very good score, take the MCAT in August and apply in October.

I'm not getting the scores I'd like because I can't make enough time to study for the April MCAT and nail A's in the three BCPM classes I'm taking. I feel I'm better off getting good grades, studying hard all summer and taking the August MCAT. Is it a mistake? Time'll tell...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with your logic. I am concerned because my scores are not consistent and I am thinking about holding off till aug. I don't have a free summer though, so I'm not sure if there will be major improvement.

Here is my story:

Sat for April 2005 but wasnt ready after going through Kaplan course (b/c I didnt study all their stuff) tried to study for August but I got even lazier...
the more you push it off the you get more and more LAZY... I eventually moved my body again for the APril and I will take it no matter what I take and will not stop studying like tests every week till august and will retake till I get my 35....

Gluck to me and every one else

dataman said:
Here is my story:

Sat for April 2005 but wasnt ready after going through Kaplan course (b/c I didnt study all their stuff) tried to study for August but I got even lazier...
the more you push it off the you get more and more LAZY... I eventually moved my body again for the APril and I will take it no matter what I take and will not stop studying like tests every week till august and will retake till I get my 35....

Gluck to me and every one else

So I'm confused. Are you sitting for the April or August exam?

My feeling is that you want to be in a good position so that you WON'T have to retake and retake until you get the score you want. Knock it out the first time. Retaking never looks good, especially if you're not bringing up your score. If you feel that putting it off will put you in a position to do even better, then do so. If your scores are inconsistent or you have a particularly weak area, work with it until it's on the same level as the other sections. Fight like hell until the 11th, and if it's still not where you want it to be, then send in your refund form, and work at a pace that can adequately prepare you for August. Else, fight like hell till the 22nd, and slay that b*tch.

MediMama23 said:
So I'm confused. Are you sitting for the April or August exam?

My feeling is that you want to be in a good position so that you WON'T have to retake and retake until you get the score you want. Knock it out the first time. Retaking never looks good, especially if you're not bringing up your score. If you feel that putting it off will put you in a position to do even better, then do so. If your scores are inconsistent or you have a particularly weak area, work with it until it's on the same level as the other sections. Fight like hell until the 11th, and if it's still not where you want it to be, then send in your refund form, and work at a pace that can adequately prepare you for August. Else, fight like hell till the 22nd, and slay that b*tch.

Thank you

well in April 2005 I sat for it but voided the test result so basically it was just a PT. the reason I want to for sure take it this time is that I want to apply for school this year and some schools need some kind of grade to accept your application then you can update it with the new august grade... what do you think?

dataman said:
Thank you

well in April 2005 I sat for it but voided the test result so basically it was just a PT. the reason I want to for sure take it this time is that I want to apply for school this year and some schools need some kind of grade to accept your application then you can update it with the new august grade... what do you think?

Oh, ok. I just couldn't tell if you were taking it in April or in August.

If your practice scores are looking decent to you now, then you probably should take it. That way, your app can be looked at earlier. Earlier is always better.

P.S. I would say if someone doesnt feel very ready and wants to postpone the test the last day after being registered and paying good amount of money for it.. you better sit for it and take it and cancel the score before comming out rather than not even taking it since they wont refund you any ways...
the new refund rull says 10 days before MCAT you should send in your refund application if you want to cancel...

am I wrong?!

dataman said:
P.S. I would say if someone doesnt feel very ready and wants to postpone the test the last day after being registered and paying good amount of money for it.. you better sit for it and take it and cancel the score before comming out rather than not even taking it since they wont refund you any ways...
the new refund rull says 10 days before MCAT you should send in your refund application if you want to cancel...

am I wrong?!

Yeah, if you find out you're not ready for it after the refund period is passed, you might as well take it and see what test day is really like...the waiting, the collecting, the passing out (forms and stuff, not fainting :laugh: ) so you know what to expect the next time.

dataman said:

am I wrong?!
I believe the fact that you took a test and voided it will still show up when you send out your application with your new scores in August. I personally would not want schools to possibly have the takeaway that I took the test, choked, had to cancel it and retake it.

notdeadyet said:
I believe the fact that you took a test and voided it will still show up when you send out your application with your new scores in August. I personally would not want schools to possibly have the takeaway that I took the test, choked, had to cancel it and retake it.

If you void, it's not reported on your AMCAS app. Schools won't know you attempted to take it (I was confused about this, too).

notdeadyet said:

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that if you voided a test, it would be like you never even registered. If I'm wrong then that'll give me something new to consider because right now I'm trying to decide between rescheduling for August or sitting for April and voiding my scores...

Members don't see this ad :)
bluediamond said:
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that if you voided a test, it would be like you never even registered. If I'm wrong then that'll give me something new to consider because right now I'm trying to decide between rescheduling for August or sitting for April and voiding my scores...

Can somebody clear this up once and for all? I have heard it 50/50. It seems that it was mentioned on the AMCAS website a few years back, but no longer is stated. Does anyone know where this info can be found?

Hey guys,

I have a question.. so.. what's so bad about retaking it in August?

I want to take it in April so that I can get ahead and have the possibility of pursuing something else in the summer, and I was thinking if in the case that I have a low score, I will just retake it in August. What's the bad things about submitting a score later? Will the admissions people automatically knows (if I don't check the box at first) afterwards later when I register for the august test?

I'm just wondering cos right now my score arent too great yet.. I'm think it will take me at least four more days to review all the materials before I can intensely do practice problems.. so I'm just starting to get a little worried... hmm

can you post what you are reffering to at the bottom of page 14?

I called 2 schools in Ny and asked them do they mind if I take the test more thn once and they said they only mind it if it is going down but if it improves they look at the the better grade.

I also called AAMC and asked the lady at aamc.. she said I can not tell you exactly you have to call the schools but tell you this.. MOST students retake the test 2 and many more than 2 times...so dont worry as long as you do better on the last test .. specialy an improve of +4 or +5 or a shift from 27 to a 30 or above. Im worried too and dont know what to do but I guess the time will answer my question whan I m behind the desk infront of the scary papers.

j-med said:
Hey guys,

I have a question.. so.. what's so bad about retaking it in August?

I want to take it in April so that I can get ahead and have the possibility of pursuing something else in the summer, and I was thinking if in the case that I have a low score, I will just retake it in August. What's the bad things about submitting a score later? Will the admissions people automatically knows (if I don't check the box at first) afterwards later when I register for the august test?

I'm just wondering cos right now my score arent too great yet.. I'm think it will take me at least four more days to review all the materials before I can intensely do practice problems.. so I'm just starting to get a little worried... hmm

If you have get a low score, you would have to check the box that you are planning to retake in August so that adcoms will at least put your app on hold for later consideration. If you don't, and you leave them with the impression that those are the stats you are applying with, they may just toss you out if you don't have the numbers they're looking for.

Obivously if your April scores are not where you want them to be, you should retake in August. But if your scores are not where you want them to be now, you should also consider waiting, because what you're seeing now could possibly be what you get on your April test (yes, there are people who jump drastically in score, but there are others who drop in scores). I don't know how your practice is going, so I can only speculate.

dataman, we're referring to the Void policy in the MCAT Essentials packet. I don't doubt that lots of people take the test more than once...by the time I take my exam, I'll be one of them. This is why I'm not above putting off the test if I have to...come hell or high water, I do not want to take the test a 3rd time. That's just me, though. I'm also not applying this year, so I don't have the added pressure of my scores coming in late.

At the end of the day, do what feels right for you. We can only offer you input, but we're not you, so the decision will have to be yours.

dataman said:
can you post what you are reffering to at the bottom of page 14?

Looks like MediaMama and BlueDiamond are right. My apologies if my misunderstanding confused anyone....

Here's what's on the bottom of pg. 14 on the linked PDF (I'll assume AMCAS doesn't feel this is copyright infringement):

<!-- begin quote-->

If you void your answer documents, your participation in this administration of the MCAT exam will not be reported to AMCAS or to non-AMCAS schools. However, even if you void, you are regarded as having attended the test and, therefore, not eligible for a refund. Also, if you wish to register after having attended three or more MCAT exams (whether you voided your scores or not), you must request and obtain permission each time you wish to retest.

<!-- end quote-->

postponed April 2005 MCAT
took August 2005 MCAT

1.took 8 weeks off and started up again 1st week of June
2.repeated EK added a little kaplan.

why waste a whole day taking an exam that you will not be able to see the scores? How can the stress compare to when you walk in planning not to void?

voiding can be embarassing as well. At my test center when we were done with the test the administrator made an announcement for anyone wanting to void to come forward. Only one person did and that must have felt like a long walk. The administrator was lame and made a dumb comment into the microphone "awww, I thought we were going to have a perfect exam day"

I postponed my April test date for August. Don't be afraid to reuse practice exams as you will have forgetten it all when you start studying again. Hopefully you do have 2 fresh AAMC exams or other practice MCAT to do in the final weeks of study. I started back up in the first week of June I think and made a schedule which I stuck to. My studying was much better in the summer because I had my mornings and late evenings free with summer classes 11am-430pm.

there are a lot of people taking the MCAT that did not put in a full effort in studying. Postponing it does not increase your chances of slacking off if you are determined.

Make note of your weaknesses now and put that at the start of your August MCAT studies.

good luck.

HunterGatherer said:
took August 2005 MCAT

why waste a whole day taking an exam that you will not be able to see the scores? How can the stress compare to when you walk in planning not to void?

voiding can be embarassing as well. At my test center when we were done with the test the administrator made an announcement for anyone wanting to void to come forward. Only one person did and that must have felt like a long walk. The administrator was lame and made a dumb comment into the microphone "awww, I thought we were going to have a perfect exam day"

I postponed my April test date for August. Don't be afraid to reuse practice exams as you will have forgetten it all when you start studying again. Hopefully you do have 2 fresh AAMC exams or other practice MCAT to do in the final weeks of study. I started back up in the first week of June I think and made a schedule which I stuck to. My studying was much better in the summer because I had my mornings and late evenings free with summer classes 11am-430pm.

there are a lot of people taking the MCAT that did not put in a full effort in studying. Postponing it does not increase your chances of slacking off if you are determined.

Make note of your weaknesses now and put that at the start of your August MCAT studies.

good luck.
Do you mind if I ask how much you increased in the august test?
from what score to what score?

So you think one should not void the test if he/she will study harder next time?

I was scoring 25's in late March 2005 on practice exams so I did NOT take the the April 2005 MCAT. When studying for the August MCAT I broke the 25 mark on my final 3 exams 2-3 weeks before the exam and scored 32 on the real deal.

I can't give advice on when you should or shouldn't void the exam once you walk into the testing site since I think you should only show up if you feel prepared enough to score where you want. I thought I scored a 7 in PS and pulled off a 10. I did not void because I felt that I prepared as best I could and was scoring in 10+ on BS/V and 9+ in PS on my last 3 practice exams.

I think going in to take the exam and knowing you will void is a waste of time. Go to the park and forget about the MCAT until June. everyone is different though. maybe going in to void the exam will give you some peace of mind.

dataman said:
Do you mind if I ask how much you increased in the august test?
from what score to what score?

So you think one should not void the test if he/she will study harder next time?

I dont know why but some how I just cant give up this April MCAT any more I will try for it but Im sure I will retake it in august. too bad they dont have the mcat more often yet...

will it be a big problem to take the test after 3 attendings?

dataman said:
I dont know why but some how I just cant give up this April MCAT any more I will try for it but Im sure I will retake it in august. too bad they dont have the mcat more often yet...

That's some positive thinking.

After the 3rd attempt, you will have to show AAMC that you have legitimate reason to take the exam a fourth time. This is usually proven with a rejection letter. So you would have to apply, get rejected, and then you would be allowed to take the exam again. At least, that is my understanding.

I mean that is not a preferable process.. did any one actually go through a situation like that?!

HunterGatherer said:
took August 2005 MCAT

good luck.

great post--well written and I appreciate your candor. I've heard similar horror stories regarding voiding scores :(

You're really planning ahead! :laugh:

There have been a number of posts from people who took the MCAT more than 3 times and had to fill out a special request. Beyond the 54+ weeks of studying and anxiety over test scores from 3 administrations, all of the posts from these indiviuals said it was an easy process with no hassles to take it 3+ times.

dataman said:

you know it is a big thing... I wish I started studying for it a bit earlier... the day I get done with the MCAT with a good grade will be the best day of my life

Does anyone have an idea of how much taking it in August instead of April affects your admissions chances? Will a lot of schools have most of their class already set by the time you're able to submit an August score? How many points would you have to increase your score in August (over a hypothetical April test that you didn't take) in order to make it worthwhile?

dataman said:
you know it is a big thing... I wish I started studying for it a bit earlier... the day I get done with the MCAT with a good grade will be the best day of my life

I have a feeling getting that acceptance letter will feel even better. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

vmc: While students turning their apps in in June will get them secondaries by July, your August score will get you secondaries by October/November. Lots of people are interviewing by this time, and some have been accepted, but no way will ALL classes will be full. Just get all of your materials in ASAP (in June) so that the MCAT score is the only thing of yours that hasn't been reviewed.

HunterGatherer said:
took August 2005 MCAT

good luck.
Thank you for your honesty in this post. I am very much encouraged (because there's still hope for a procrastinator like me). I am determined to study really hard for the August MCAT. My family will take a 3-week vacation in the Pacific in mid July, and if I'm not ready before then, I will postpone my trip and study everday that they're away. I have no plans of giving up some beachtime, so that's my motivation. :)

I voided in April (knew I wasn't ready) and retook in August for a great score.

Spending the whole day taking the test and voiding was not a horror story or a waste of time at all. It was a useful and valuable experience, at the bargain price of $190. :D And the stress level was pretty much the same.

If you're going to take in August, for goodness' sake do not wait until October to submit your AMCAS. Submit in June. You run the risk of applying without knowing your MCAT score, but it's a lot worse to waste the money because your application arrives after half the class is filled.