For those taking a year off before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have just graduated and am applying this cycle for medical schools. So, I will have a year off. I am currently participating in a full time research this summer till August. After that I plan to get a job. What kind of job will be meaningful for this field? I plan to visit my mother country for a few months but thats after I get in somewhere. What kind of jobs will allow me to get some patient contact? What would be meaningful? I don't have an EMT-B certification nor am I phlebotomist. I know it all depends on me and my personal interests but please just give some examples. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You could be a CNA or patient care tech. I'm not sure what kind of training you need for those or how much time you have but I don't think you need much to be a patient care technician.

you can look at jobs from hospitals or research university. eg I know UCSF has a lot of clinical research coordinator positions open, but they want long term commitments..you might have to lie a bit. otherwise, there are research associate positions open. some of them should include patient contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be an ER Scribe! This is what I am looking into right now actually. The benefits seem invaluable- the way the position works is you follow an ER doctor and take notes for them while they see patients. In this way, they can more easily focus on the patient and, since the doctors aren't filling out the paperwork hours after the appointment, they are less likely to forget to bill for something. The commitment is usually 2 yrs part time or 1 year full time. The scribe jobs around my area pay 15/hr and full health benefits for the 1 yr full time. I have spoken to some doctors and they say that it is invaluable experience-- learn more about anatomy, physical exam processes and note-taking- an important medical skill.

I bet the guy used the search function and then replied to the thread without looking at the date.