For those taking Kaplan, Which Materials are best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Hawaiiandoc04

Hi all!
I would first like to say that this is my very first post and very first few minutes on SDN!! (after a few weeks perusing te site as an unregistered guest)
Anyways, I am taking kaplan now and am still in the process of reviewing old material, but i was wondering which of the myriad of practice materials will best prepare one for the mcats? because there are too many to do them all, I need to start prioritizing! got to get my 36+!!!
my diagnostic was a 27 so i still have a long ways to go.....

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN, home of those of us who love to give opinions on everything (including things we don't know much about)!

Which materials to use depends on your content knowledge. Here's what I'd do, assuming that you have taken all the relevant courses recently, and sort of remember the material:

**Go over all answers carefully, right and wrong. Don't just blast through test after test.**

Highest priority:
- all AAMC practice items (including the verbal)
- all AAMC full-length tests
Save these AAMC tests for last; use the Kaplan stuff first.

High priority:
- do all the topical tests on your weakest areas; do the ones on your stronger areas as lower priority. For example, your reaction to a problem like "sliding block on frictionless inclined plane" should be almost reflexive (if you want a 36).
- do the Kaplan section tests to find problem areas in test-taking and strategy as well as content. Do not ignore verbal and writing sample.
- do the Kaplan full-lengths as scheduled; do extra ones only if you have time after doing the AAMC full-lengths.

Medium priority:
- online workshops in weak areas
- chapter review questions in weak areas
- go through flash cards; identify topics that give you trouble (cut off one corner of the card when you master those topics; gives you a nice visual marker of progress); review trouble spots often

Lower priority:
- subject tests

In addition if you want them categorized by time commitment you course schedule per topic should look like this:

foundation review videos
review notes
online workshop
subject tests
class
AAMC practice items
topical test
section test
full legths
AAMC FL tests

one thing kaplan students don't know (dirty little secret) is that the subject tests are actually organized by the progression of the lessons themselves. The first subject tests will deal much more with kinematics in physics for example!

Here's a sample plan for one particular topic you might be weak in. Translational motion:

Physics 1 foundation review (lesson book and videos)
Review notes chapters 1 and 2
Kinematics online workshop
physics subject tests 1 and 2
physics 1 live lesson or video
AAMC practice item passages XX,XX,XX (from lesson book homework plan)
Translational motion topical test
Physical Sciences section test 1
Full length test 6 *1-5 are part of class*
AAMC Full length 3 *first usefull one*

As you can see the plan goes from content in the beginning, to critical thinking in the middle with the aamc practice items and topical tests, to pacing in the section tests, finally to endurance on the full lengths.

This same document exists in your lesson book for every topic covered on the MCAT. Good luck studying :)

i took all scheduled kaplan full-lengths +1 or 2 extra, took a few of the subject tests, (not *too* helpful, but not bad) and reviewed flash cards...the basic content books are good, but they have FAR more details than you'll need to know for the test...just use them to review basic stuff on subjects you're weak in.

I agree pretty much with MeowMix's post, very well organized. It is very important not to waste any time on stuff that you are comfortable with. Use the diagnostic test to identify your weak areas and focus on those. Don't focus on your strong areas just because you feel comfortable with them and therefore find it easy. It is a waste to do that. When I took Kaplan, i used my diagnostic test to focus my time. I spent most of my time doing subject tests, timed of course, and then reviewing ALL questions. Go over what you did to get the correct ones right, and why you missed the wrong ones. With practice, you will realize that there are only about 10, yes TEN different types of questions asked on the MCAT, in all the sections. Near the end of my MCAT preparation, I was able to read a passage and predict with a high degree of accuracy, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the questions that were going to be asked. No joke, you will be able to do this too if you practice enough. And ALWAYS do the full length practice exams. And ALWAYS time yourself, ALWAYS. To be honest, sitting in class and reading the review books did not help me much. It was all about doing practice problems! Drill, drill and drill again. This will help you hone your skills and maximally prepare you for the big day. Good luck!

OneRadMan
PGY-1 TY/Diagnostic Radiology Resident
Former Kaplan MCAT instructor