For those that are good at VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonFreeman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not really begun my serious MCAT studying yet. I am planning on taking it in Aug or September. I have been reading economist and other articles. I am trying to dissect the articles I read and trying to find main idea, tone ant etc. But some articles are hard to comprehend. For those of you that are good at VR, Do you guys not have any problem with these articles?

Members don't see this ad.

There definitely are a few articles that would give anyone that wasn't familiar with the subject area some difficulty. The point is that you can recognize a difficult piece and you can get your way through it.

Keep reading. It's the best practice you can get. It's not too early to start thinking about doing a practice test in VR. Just so you can get a handle on what types of questions you're getting wrong.

I have not really begun my serious MCAT studying yet. I am planning on taking it in Aug or September. I have been reading economist and other articles. I am trying to dissect the articles I read and trying to find main idea, tone ant etc. But some articles are hard to comprehend. For those of you that are good at VR, Do you guys not have any problem with these articles?

It's tough in the beginning, but keep practicing.

You should buy the EK verbal book and read that through before doing this. If you can drill down using EK you will beast the verbal section.

I'm no verbal god, but I got a 10 on both the AAMC full lengths that I've tried. I still need to see that go up and EK really surprised me with how much info the questions give away. It's actually pretty neat.

That reminds me. I need to buy the passages book to leave at work so I can do 2-3 passages over my lunch breaks.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should buy the EK verbal book and read that through before doing this. If you can drill down using EK you will beast the verbal section.

I'm no verbal god, but I got a 10 on both the AAMC full lengths that I've tried. I still need to see that go up and EK really surprised me with how much info the questions give away. It's actually pretty neat.

That reminds me. I need to buy the passages book to leave at work so I can do 2-3 passages over my lunch breaks.

I have ek 1001 verbal book. But it does not explain any strategy. Is there another ek verbal book?

There is another EK Verbal book other than the 1001 but I'm also of the opinion that just because a particular strategy worked well for a specific author does not mean that it will work for everyone. It's fine to get it and see if it helps but there is no magic bullet strategy for Verbal you can use and suddenly it will make sense.

Best advice I can give you, especially this far out, is keep reading and do some practice tests to get a feel for what Verbal is like.

Also, OP, you might have better luck starting out dissecting things like Scientific American first assuming you have more background in science and then moving on to other things in which you don't have as much background knowledge.

The EK book on verbal can be had for like 20-30 bucks, and you can probably get it used on here.

While I agree that no one strategy works for everyone, I do agree with EK that 'reading more' is kind of a copout solution. There's a reason why the EK manual finds its way into SN2ED's schedule.

If nothing else, it's worth a shot. I was blown away at how revealing the question/answer threads can be. I have 3 months and my goal is to raise all my sections by atleast 2 points. Given that verbal was my highest to begin with, this is going to be fun to do.

2legit2quit