for those that did well on the pat section...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulKu34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

one more advice needed. i guess i may have to retake the dat over...i did well on the other sections but received a 15 on my pat. those anyone know some good resources to acing the pat section? I've heard the acethedat.com is good...any comments or inputs? much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

PaulKu34 said:
hey guys,

one more advice needed. i guess i may have to retake the dat over...i did well on the other sections but received a 15 on my pat. those anyone know some good resources to acing the pat section? I've heard the acethedat.com is good...any comments or inputs? much appreciated

I don't know anything about acethedat.com. I can recommend something else.
DATAchiever PAT is almost identical to the real PAT section.
Other sections are very close to the real exam as well. One of biology questions appeared on my real test...

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used legos and it really worked from 17 to 22.

PaulKu34 said:
hey guys,

Are you taking DAT again just because of PAT section? I think if you did alright in other section, PAT shouldnt be that big of the deal. Did you get a chance to interview in this cycle?

As far as practice for it, I used DAT Achiever , I guess it was alright but I did horrible in my PAT.

Good Luck

I got an 18 the first time and a 22 the second time. I would suggest topscore pro, ace the dat and DAT achiever. Don't worry about your scores on these very much. Don't try to figure out "well which one is more like the DAT?" I don't consider myself super smart. I only got an 16 on the academic portion the first time and an 18 the second. So for the PAT, it you use these programs for sheer practice, getting your brain used to doing these things, and learning what to look for and figuring out your own little secrets for you to help you solve certain things. Practice will teach you all these things. You've already done the hard part and that is, taking the test once. This helps you get your feet wet which is very important. It was for me. To be honest after my 16,17,18 for my first scores, I mainly just focused on my sciences and math for the second round and only spent a total of maybe 15 hours for the second test and I actually jumped from an 18 to a 22 in the PAT. I attribute this to just figuring out my own little strengths and weaknesses in certain sections and adjusting accordingly. Practice is again the best way to excell here. Don't concentrate on the difficulty level of some of the programs out there cause I got my a_s kicked by some of them many times and got myself flustered. When it came to the real thing the second time I just stuck with my game plan and executed it exactly how I practiced any other day and I raped the thing that day.

kew said:
I got an 18 the first time and a 22 the second time. I would suggest topscore pro, ace the dat and DAT achiever. Don't worry about your scores on these very much. Don't try to figure out "well which one is more like the DAT?" I don't consider myself super smart. I only got an 16 on the academic portion the first time and an 18 the second. So for the PAT, it you use these programs for sheer practice, getting your brain used to doing these things, and learning what to look for and figuring out your own little secrets for you to help you solve certain things. Practice will teach you all these things. You've already done the hard part and that is, taking the test once. This helps you get your feet wet which is very important. It was for me. To be honest after my 16,17,18 for my first scores, I mainly just focused on my sciences and math for the second round and only spent a total of maybe 15 hours for the second test and I actually jumped from an 18 to a 22 in the PAT. I attribute this to just figuring out my own little strengths and weaknesses in certain sections and adjusting accordingly. Practice is again the best way to excell here. Don't concentrate on the difficulty level of some of the programs out there cause I got my a_s kicked by some of them many times and got myself flustered. When it came to the real thing the second time I just stuck with my game plan and executed it exactly how I practiced any other day and I raped the thing that day.

thanks alot man, great advice

pibozh said:
Are you taking DAT again just because of PAT section? I think if you did alright in other section, PAT shouldnt be that big of the deal. Did you get a chance to interview in this cycle?

As far as practice for it, I used DAT Achiever , I guess it was alright but I did horrible in my PAT.

Good Luck

yeah i think i might have to actually. alogn with that low score i turned in my app pretty late (nov 1 2005). thanks for the advice

This may sound really silly, but here's a good way to hone your skills for the pat.

As you walk around and see objects (i.e. trash can, cars, trees, people, etc.), just picture them in your head and rotate em around whatever way you can. Personally, this made the pat somewhat the easiest for me bec. it got my mind used to rotating stuff around in a 3d space.

I didn't really study that portion outside of taking the practice tests on topscore. I took the dat twice.. first time I scored a 20 and then a 23 on the pat.

Hope that helps even a tiny bit...good luck! :thumbup:

I just went out and bought the Kaplan book for the DAT from a Barnes and Noble book store in the test prep section. It had some tips on the PAT section and a full set of practice problems in the book as well as a CD to go along with it with a full lentgh practice DAT in it. It helped me a lot you might want to check it out. If you don't feel like buying it (like 60$) check out the library at your school, they'll probably have a copy. Good luck dude.