For those that felt prepared for the ochem passages, what prep did you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiamed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying from TBR OChem I and II. Is that sufficient? I feel like that's too detailed for the level of ochem on the test and might switch to EK.

Members don't see this ad.

There have been a good number of comments from people that the o chem on their exam was more plentiful than they expected and rather challenging.

I used Kaplan and felt their general principles were a solid guide for the passages. I wouldn't necessarily recommend one test prep company over another...just make sure you truly understand the material..and you aren't simply memorizing it. Apply what you have learned, because it's impossible to prepare for all the questions the MCAT can ask. Learn the principles..and apply what you've learned and you'll be fine.

I just posted this in another thread but...

I used Kaplan to get an overview, and then took the topics they touched on and used a proper Orgo texbook from my course to review them in more depth. This combination was more than enough to tackle the topic in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used TPR for organic chemistry and felt that it did not prepare me well enough for my organic-heavy P/C section. I wish I would have looked into other resources. But maybe others tests won't have as much organic as mine did

To the people that said their test was Organic heavy: were you referring to a specific section, or did your entire test have O-Chem related aspects?

To the people that said their test was Organic heavy: were you referring to a specific section, or did your entire test have O-Chem related aspects?
Pretty much the emphasis placed on OChem used by the official guide and practice exam was thrown out the window for the actual exam.

Ok, so were the sections that were Ochem heavy sections that normally have Ochem? Or did they throw Ochem into every section besides CARS as a general theme (i.e. into physics passages)?

Last edited:
Honestly, I didn't study O-Chem at all. I can understand how it could be more challenging on some tests and not so relevant on others, but my test had a hefty load of organic and all it took to overcome the question difficulty was common knowledge of organic molecule characteristics and the basic SN1/SN2 and E1/E2 reactions coupled with some fundamental knowledge of functional groups.