for those that go to NYU College of Dental Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodeo55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on what the new AEGD program at NYU is like? Or what the program is heavily focused on? Procedures wise? Anything at all about the curriculum and if the residents are happy?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on what the new AEGD program at NYU is like? Or what the program is heavily focused on? Procedures wise? Anything at all about the curriculum and if the residents are happy?

College of Dentistry*

it's a relatively new program, and it's essentially a D5 year. you get your own chair and assistant on the UG clinic floors and have your own faculty, and you also have the liberty of having other qualified faculty assist you.

you are assigned to a chair that has an xray unit.

in terms of procedures, you get to do bread n butter dentistry+removable prosth+fixed prosth+implant placement (basic)+implant resto...also you get to do 2nd molar endo, retreats

the second year of the program already started, and some kinks are being worked out. i'm biased bc i went to NYU and i never want to set foot in that institution again, but that's just me. i've heard that the program is doing better

Reactions: 1 user
I'm guessing there is an outrageous tuition? Or is it only for the didactic "actual" schools and departments (like dental, law, med, business etc)?

-Fyz

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing there is an outrageous tuition? Or is it only for the didactic "actual" schools and departments (like dental, law, med, business etc)?

-Fyz
Ha!

Endo: 72k
Ortho: 72k
Perio: 46K
Prostho: 46k
Peds: 57k

Tuition

Ha!

Endo: 72k
Ortho: 72k
Perio: 46K
Prostho: 46k
Peds: 57k

Tuition

God forbid someone has no choice but to go to NYU haha. And when you add fees/living expenses, it adds another definite 20k+ when living in or near NYC. o_O Because it's totally healthy to leave uni with 700k debt. :confused: (And just so that u SDNrs don't think I'm a hypocrite, I'm expecting to leave dental school with ~355k debt)

-Fyz

it is an AEGD, therefore you get paid (not as much as a GPR). i think around 55k? it's like a 9-5 gig

and while i hated my experience there
@Fyz, i'd bet money on the lowest performing student in my class still doing more than the average penn student, clinically.

it is an AEGD, therefore you get paid (not as much as a GPR). i think around 55k? it's like a 9-5 gig

and while i hated my experience there
@Fyz, i'd bet money on the lowest performing student in my class still doing more than the average penn student, clinically.

I wouldn't doubt that, but the specialization rate at Penn is much higher than that of NYU. Do you know any Penn GPs? I know there are some at Massachusetts General Hospital and I'm guessing there are others at prestigious university hospitals with a dental department.

-Fyz

I wouldn't doubt that, but the specialization rate at Penn is much higher than that of NYU. Do you know any Penn GPs? I know there are some at Massachusetts General Hospital and I'm guessing there are others at prestigious university hospitals with a dental department.

-Fyz

yup, i don't doubt that. i wanna say like maybe 10% of my class specialized right away. and i do know some Penn GPs. but mostly doing GP before pursuing a specialty app

Reactions: 1 user
so is the aegd program at NYU COD overall not that great?