For those that used Stepup2Step2, was using.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fibonacci011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Setup2MEDICINE every worth it during your medicine rotation? The reason I ask is because I take Step 2 right after finishing Medicine at the end of June.

Of course my plan has 2 parts. One, ace the shelf. Two, ace step 2. Simply stated, should I just do UWorld and Steup2Step2 to study for the MEDICINE shelf (and so at the same time tackle step 2 material?)

I just wonder how many people felt they really needed stepup2medicine when on the medicine rotation

Members don't see this ad.

Setup2MEDICINE every worth it during your medicine rotation? The reason I ask is because I take Step 2 right after finishing Medicine at the end of June.

Of course my plan has 2 parts. One, ace the shelf. Two, ace step 2. Simply stated, should I just do UWorld and Steup2Step2 to study for the MEDICINE shelf (and so at the same time tackle step 2 material?)

I just wonder how many people felt they really needed stepup2medicine when on the medicine rotation

Step Up to Medicine+World is great for the IM shelf.

I have not taken Step 2 yet, but All of World, secrets, and Step up to Medicine +/- the non-medicine chapters in either FA or Step up to step 2 should be money.

Of that series, step up to Medicine is the strong one. Step Up to Step 2 is good, but not as strong as Medicine. If you want to do well on the medicine shelf, I strongly recommend Step Up to Medicine and Uworld. Since most of the Step 2 is medicine based anyway, getting a larger, more in-depth review of medicine won't hurt. if you have time, do both. It costs you 50 bucks and can make the difference between H and HP.

BUT, if you are doing Medicine Shelf and Step 2 back to back (as in, wont have enough time to do both Medicine and Step 2), then Step up 2 Step 2 is totally sufficient. You will get a lower score than you could on medicine, but if youre crunched for time, doing them both probably isnt worth it.

Of that series, step up to Medicine is the strong one. Step Up to Step 2 is good, but not as strong as Medicine. If you want to do well on the medicine shelf, I strongly recommend Step Up to Medicine and Uworld. Since most of the Step 2 is medicine based anyway, getting a larger, more in-depth review of medicine won't hurt. if you have time, do both. It costs you 50 bucks and can make the difference between H and HP.

BUT, if you are doing Medicine Shelf and Step 2 back to back (as in, wont have enough time to do both Medicine and Step 2), then Step up 2 Step 2 is totally sufficient. You will get a lower score than you could on medicine, but if youre crunched for time, doing them both probably isnt worth it.

I have UW, step up to medicine, step up to step 2, and usmle secrets. and its getting real tough to think about all of them as you said with time crunch

not talkign about medicine shelf at all here, but purly on step 2 basis. desiring 240ish score.

do you feel step up to step 2 and UW is sufficeint. I am trying to be super essential, learning my mistakes from STep 1

but everytime i single out at UW and step up to step 2, it just kinda wierds me out that step up to step 2 is so goddam thin, and step up to medicine is so not, how can it be the same. or is it just good enough to score average, not 240

Members don't see this ad :)
I have UW, step up to medicine, step up to step 2, and usmle secrets. and its getting real tough to think about all of them as you said with time crunch

not talkign about medicine shelf at all here, but purly on step 2 basis. desiring 240ish score.

do you feel step up to step 2 and UW is sufficeint. I am trying to be super essential, learning my mistakes from STep 1

but everytime i single out at UW and step up to step 2, it just kinda wierds me out that step up to step 2 is so goddam thin, and step up to medicine is so not, how can it be the same. or is it just good enough to score average, not 240

I give this advice alot on this forum. I've now included LazyMD's advice too.

First Aid + UWorld

or

Step Up + Uworld​

studied for a dedicated month will get you an average score (230). If you want to push a little further, you need to add a book. FA + Step Up, FA + Secrets, Step Up + Secrets, Step Up + Crush, whatever the case may be. you just need to find those pearls in another book that gets you those few questions.

If you REALLY want to do well, i'd say try the Kaplan notes. But they read like a textbook. They are thorough, detailed, and highly valuable. with a time crunch, they are likely not an acceptable alternative. It takes a long time to get through them in any meaningful manner (skimming them doesn't do much that Secrets in depth wouldnt do).

I give this advice alot on this forum. I've now included LazyMD's advice too.

First Aid + UWorld

or

Step Up + Uworld​

studied for a dedicated month will get you an average score (230). If you want to push a little further, you need to add a book. FA + Step Up, FA + Secrets, Step Up + Secrets, Step Up + Crush, whatever the case may be. you just need to find those pearls in another book that gets you those few questions.

If you REALLY want to do well, i'd say try the Kaplan notes. But they read like a textbook. They are thorough, detailed, and highly valuable. with a time crunch, they are likely not an acceptable alternative. It takes a long time to get through them in any meaningful manner (skimming them doesn't do much that Secrets in depth wouldnt do).

I think I;ve seen this similar advice elsewhere on forum and I always ask WHICH step up people mean when they type step up, but nobody seems to reply

I'm just confused, because do you guys always mean step up to step 2 when you type step up. or do you mean step up to medicine.

because I get worried they are comparable when step up to step 2 is so thin??