• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

GregsAnatomy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey all,

A friend of mine was just rejected from Ohio State. She has great stats, is an Ohio resident, and like me is an Ohio State undergrad. She also knew someone on the admissions committee, so she asked why she got rejected.

The answer she got: Ohio State has 208 in the class so far, and the AVERAGE ACCEPTED STUDENT has a 3.80 GPA and 34 MCAT. Apparently they are also planning to make the class 60% out-of-state and 40% in-state residents.

Those stats really surprised me, because I'm pretty sure last year's class had something like a 3.65 GPA and 31 MCAT...but I would guess that this year's stats will drop as people withdraw.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2003
San Diego
Status (Visible)
Sounds like a load of bull to me. If OSU accepted only ~200 students and most had 3.8's and 34's, they'll end up with a class size of 20 because 90% of students with those stats are going to end up matriculating at a better school. No offense to OSU cause it's a decent school but it's no Wash U or UCSF. If it thinks it's going to be able to have a class average of 3.8 and 34, it's dreaming.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
OSU has a new dean. We were told straight up at the interview that the Dean basically tossed aside preference for instaters and would from now on admit the most qualified students no matter what their state of residency. This new direction seems to agree with the statistics the OP posted. My personal feeling from my interivew at OSU was that they are making a major push to become an elite medical school. I cant count how many times they compared themselves to UMich. They really seemed to want to draw from the same pool of students similar to the way that UMich attracts top out of state students. The schools has ramped up research significantly in the past few years and the new med center facilities are fabulous. I do think that OSU is a school on the move up, and they are adjusting their admissions criteria to match their newly elevated goals.

Alex99, every schools admitted GPA/MCAT is higher than the matriculated GPA/MCAT. I'm pretty sure, however, that their average scores will rise this year.

Incidentally, like you mentioned, I'm 70% sure I'll be withdrawing from OSU to attend a "higher ranked" school, financial considerations aside.

About the Ads

deaftoan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
california
Status (Visible)
I fall into that ~3.8 gpa, ~34 mcat category, and I will be going to OSU. i was pretty naive on the application process when i started and only applied to a couple top tier schools, from which i was rejected from, so rankings-wise OSU was my top acceptance (but the school also clicked with me really well...i loved it). so maybe there might be a few more people like me in that category. however, i do agree that by the time may 15th comes around, or a bit later when waitlists from higher ranked schools start moving, some people will drop from OSU decreasing that avg.

and about the 60% out of state thing...is that normal for any other state-funded school in america (i'm assuming osu is state funded, maybe i'm wrong) ?... has anyone heard anything about osu going private, i've heard rumors here and there on sdn about this before...

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2003
San Diego
Status (Visible)
Out of curiousity, you're from Cali and you didn't bother applying to the UCs? With those kind of stats, you are pretty much guaranteed at least one UC acceptance. If you did, is it really possible that none of them showed you any love?

deaftoan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
california
Status (Visible)
yep...got all california secondaries, no california interviews
however, my ECs/volunteer/clinical exp was super weak...and i was an engineering major so i didnt take some extra bio classes to be able to apply to UCI, USC and that probably hurt me at the other UCs as well....

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2003
San Diego
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by medstudent0812
however, my ECs/volunteer/clinical exp was super weak...and i was an engineering major so i didnt take some extra bio classes to be able to apply to UCI, USC and that probably hurt me at the other UCs as well....

That bites. I never realized that the UCs were that competitive. It may have been the ECs/clinical exp that did you in. It definately weren't your numbers as they are well above pretty much any UC's average.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

did you apply to Case?

deaftoan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
california
Status (Visible)
yup...as my pre-med counselor said concerning me not getting into any medical school : i'm carrying a double edged sword - my lack of ECs, etc will hinder me from getting into top schools, and my academic record will make lower schools not want me, since they figure i'll be going to a better place anyways

ouch! that put my self-esteem down for a good few days!

deaftoan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
california
Status (Visible)
i was missing a biochem class or two (or something along those lines) to apply to case. wouldva been nice, since my cousin lives down the street.

how was your interview at OSU exmike? in my group...11/12 people were out of state...about 4 were from BYU, actually

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
i was missing a biochem class or two (or something along those lines) to apply to case. wouldva been nice, since my cousin lives down the street.

how was your interview at OSU exmike? in my group...11/12 people were out of state...about 4 were from BYU, actually

exactly the same! when did you interview? mine was all males too. haha.

deaftoan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
california
Status (Visible)
exactly the same! when did you interview? mine was all males too. haha.

10/15....i think our group had 2 or 3 girls though, the 1 ohio girl expressed her alienation towards the rest of us

a couple days before the interview i was watching conan, and chuck poulanuk (sp?) who wrote fight club was on...and he was talking about the up crop of fighting clubs across the country after the publication of the book, and especially after the movie. however, he found out that BYU alone had like ...15 different fight clubs.

so all i could do when i saw these BYU kids was to picture them in the basement of some crappy liquor store brawling...

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
10/15....i think our group had 2 or 3 girls though, the 1 ohio girl expressed her alienation towards the rest of us

a couple days before the interview i was watching conan, and chuck poulanuk (sp?) who wrote fight club was on...and he was talking about the up crop of fighting clubs across the country after the publication of the book, and especially after the movie. however, he found out that BYU alone had like ...15 different fight clubs.

so all i could do when i saw these BYU kids was to picture them in the basement of some crappy liquor store brawling...

It was just interesting talking to these mormon guys from BYU that were two or three years younger than me but all married!! I wonder if there is a connection between being mormon and fight clubs.

About the Ads

deaftoan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
california
Status (Visible)
It was just interesting talking to these mormon guys from BYU that were two or three years younger than me but all married!! I wonder if there is a connection between being mormon and fight clubs.

mormon => being married early => aggression after realizing that you're 19 and tied down and can't hang out with your friends anymore or go to college parties => fight clubs

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by Alexander99
Out of curiousity, you're from Cali and you didn't bother applying to the UCs? With those kind of stats, you are pretty much guaranteed at least one UC acceptance. If you did, is it really possible that none of them showed you any love?

no stats guarantee you at least one UC acceptance. not even 4.0 45.

rgporter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
C-ville, VA
Status (Visible)
mormon => being married early => aggression after realizing that you're 19 and tied down and can't hang out with your friends anymore or go to college parties => fight clubs

Ummm, probably not. Nice try though. Most of the mormon men you would have met (being from BYU) would have been missionaries at some point which means they are at least 21 before they get married. And they still hang out with friends and party, they just do it sober. I know I am one, although I attended the U of U not BYU. Also for the record, I was 27 when I got married.
The fight club thing has nothing to do with being mormon but everything to do with going to BYU. They are a little bit strange there. It's a little bit analagous to being home schooled, some are normal, and some are just plain socially ******ed. There are a lot of really attractive girls at BYU though, so I can't say I blame them for taking the risk of attending.

And to keep to the topic of the thread, I also applied to OSU. I am a Utah native, I interviewed early in November and was waitlisted. Here is my prophile for anyone interested.
http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=1489
It was my understanding, just like exmike said that the dean was going to make a push towards becoming an elite institution. They also joked that they used to consider themselves a state funded school, then a state sponsored school, now they are a state located school. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the out/in state ratio rise significantly.

xaelia

neenlet
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
Christchurch, NZ
emlitofnote.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Ohio State definitely ends up with a little mormon clique; something like 24 folks were from the state of Utah this year. I guess everyone from those two schools applies to Ohio State in one of those self-perpetuating "let's all apply there because they take so many of us - look, lots of us got in - hey, let's all apply there because last year they took a lot of us - look, lots...." They're nice folks, but they don't socialize with the rest of much (understandably).

I suppose it's sort of a testament, if nothing else, to the flexibility of Ohio State; with a class of 210 you end up with such diverse interests pretty much every possible permutation of medical education has been explored by someone. It's really pretty easy to be whatever sort of medical student you want to be: independent study with lots of self-motivated research, or with a family; gun for high exam scores and talk to professors after every lecture with questions; sit in the back and chatter amongst ourselves and surf the internet and play on all the intramural sports teams...and everything in between.

MDapplicants.com: #00001

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
Status (Visible)
Living in Ohio I have been wondering about the in-state/out-of-state issues for a while, particularly as it applies to Ohio State and Case Western.

First the easy one - Case western has a yearly budget of $100 million. Exactly $5M of that comes from the state of Ohio coffers, and according to statute (or it could be by regulation, which has the effect of a statute unless in conflict with one) must accept a certain percentage of applicants from Ohio, though I do not know what that percentage is.

I was told that Case planned to eliminate its burdens to Ohio, but that it did not want to give up the funding. Although 5% is not that huge of a deal, it still represents $5M that needs to be found somewhere else. My question has always been how a school can keep state funding but ignore state obligations.

Ohio State is in a different boat. It receives something like over half of its annual budget from the state. It too would be required by statute (or regulation) to admit (and/or matriculate) a certain percentage of Ohio state residents. I was under the impression this ratio was 60/40 in/out. That being the case, I cannot understand how a new dean (no matter who he is) can simply ignore state laws which require him to matriculate a certain percentage of Ohio state residents.

It is my impression that the Ohio Board of Regents is NOT asleep at the switch regarding the state of medical education in Ohio. point in fact, the chairman of that organization proposed last year that the state "consider" closing one of its state supported medical schools (which would likely be either WSU or NEOUCOM - or possibily, though less likely, MCO). Each year the medical schools of Ohio have to fight for state funding. And I was told this was an annual concern of some of the smaller schools (obviously NOT a concern for OSU and UC).

It could be, then, that OSU has decided to do without (or with less) state funding in order to raise its out-of-state number of matriculants. To the extent this program is successful, tuition for out-of-staters MUST rise (or perhaps the residency rules after the first year will be tightened - for instance to prevent out-of-staters from getting in-state tuition for years 2,3 and 4).

In any event, moving up in the rankings - I believe - entails quite a bit more than simply declaring that that is a goal of the program. Honestly, isn't this the stated goal of just about all programs? No to mention that each place a school rises means that another school must be displaced. And, as has been mentioned more than once above, a student with a 34 MCAT (let's face it, GPA is almost meaningless above a certain level) not only must choose to go to OSU (where the average MCAT last year was only 31) but also must choose NOT to attend Columbia or Harvard, where the MCAT's last year were closer to her own. I think that within blocks of 5-7 schools on the rankings, the rankings are fairly entrenched. It will be hard for any school to move one way or the other more than, say, a spot or two (or maybe three) based on MCAT and GPA scores alone, simply because the system tends to cause historical scores for each school to remain static. It's my feeling, then, that scores are the LAST thing to move for a school and that if a school wants to move up in the list, it needs to influence some other aspect of its ranking, which will only then cause the scores to inch up. What this is, I have no idea.

I was interested very much in OSU, but got no love. I wish it well, but i guess I was one of the casualties of the new policies.

Judd

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Judd, CCLCM and Case are probably better options for you than OSU in almost every count except tuition. Their loss.

I think I must have slipped through the cracks with my GPA at OSU though.

rgporter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
C-ville, VA
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by xaelia
Ohio State definitely ends up with a little mormon clique; something like 24 folks were from the state of Utah this year. I guess everyone from those two schools applies to Ohio State in one of those self-perpetuating "let's all apply there because they take so many of us - look, lots of us got in - hey, let's all apply there because last year they took a lot of us...

Guilty as charged. :laugh:

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
Status (Visible)
yes, exmike.

Besides my eyes were opened up a few months ago when I realized that despite the seemingly much lower cost of tuition at OSU, the yearly budget was only about 10k less. There is NOT a huge difference in cost between state and private schools, at least not when it comes to OSU and CWRU.

Judd

xaelia

neenlet
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
Christchurch, NZ
emlitofnote.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by juddson
I realized that despite the seemingly much lower cost of tuition at OSU, the yearly budget was only about 10k less. There is NOT a huge difference in cost between state and private schools, at least not when it comes to OSU and CWRU.

Hmm...

Current budget numbers from Case's website :
$53,950, $52,700, $54,810, $51,380
Total: $212,840
(Though the actual total for the class 2008 will be at least about $6,000 more)

Current budget numbers from OSU's website :
$35,519 ($60,275 out-of-state), $34,869, $44,136, $39,076
Total: $153,600 ($178,356 out-of-state)

The cost-savings for a resident of Ohio are approximately $15,000 a year - which, after looking at the budgets is basically the tuition difference (~$21k vs. ~$36k). They're both great schools; I'm sorry you didn't get to make the choice yourself.

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
Status (Visible)
yea, but CWRU tuition is capped for four years. OSU sees a 6-12% rise each year (the undergrad can be worse than even that). I think the shift from in-state preferences to out-of-state will only drive this up higher.

Don't get me wrong: I like OSU. I wanted to go there. But I thought it would be "significantly" cheaper, and I simply is not.

Judd

SoulRFlare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Ohio
Status (Visible)
Judd...
Starting with our class, the cap will no longer be in effect. After reading about this on SDN I emailed the FinAid office, which confirmed the "rumor"

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
Status (Visible)
No ****?? seriously?

Well, more reasons to be sad over not getting love from OSU.

That sucks.

Judd

ESPNdeportes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
Status (Visible)
OSU has upped the standards for sure

I definitely liked OSU, moreso in fact than I had expected. My only gripe would have been 7:30 classes, because I always end up staying up late watching sports ;)

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by ESPNdeportes
My only gripe would have been 7:30 classes, because I always end up staying up late watching sports ;)

the price of living in the eastern time zone.

BPKurtz

Heck Of A Guy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2001
DC
Status (Visible)
As a 4th year student at OSU, I will say that part of Dean Sanfillipo's other push is to increase research. And he has done this in spades. The new heart hospital should also be pretty sweet, though I will graduate before it opens.

I admit I'm pretty far removed from the premed scuttlebutt at this point, but I can tell you that as an OSU student applying for residency you are quite comptetitive. True, I am going into pediatrics, which is not a competitive specialty. And I'm not breaking any academic records either. But I applied to some of the most competitive programs and received good feedback. (We'll see how it turns out on match day). One thing that was amusing for me to see: the program directors and faculty at the big-name places were much more familiar with OSU ("Oh, you have a letter of rec from Dr. So-and-so ... what a brilliant guy, I trained with him") while my fellow interviewees on the interview trail, who were from Yale, Columbia, and Johns Hopkins, only knew about our football team.

As for competitive specialties... this year 9 people applied for otolaryngology spots (one of the most competitive specialties there is). All 9 matched. No one had to settle for a second choice specialty. My friend who's going into ENT tells me that's the most in the country. I don't know the numbers in others like ophtho but I've heard we've got quite a few.

Truth be told, you really should pick your school on where you'll be happiest. And, having only gone to one med school, I can't compare OSU to other schools like Case or UMich, which are ranked higher by USNews. I'm sure they're fantastic. But, if you want to focus on the opportunities you'll have after graduation, I'll tell you they're great at OSU. All of which stems from the great clinical education you get here, and that fact is not lost on residency programs. Many many people choose to stay in Ohio, largely because they're from here, they have family/significant others here, or they just plain like it. But for those (like me) who want to leave Ohio after they graduate, OSU does a great job of opening doors for you.

Good luck to you guys in finding the right school for you!

bpkurtz

xaelia

neenlet
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
Christchurch, NZ
emlitofnote.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by juddson
Don't get me wrong: I like OSU. I wanted to go there. But I thought it would be "significantly" cheaper, and I simply is not.

If you want insult to injury, my girlfriend is in the veterinary school here at OSU (a prime all-female professional school a step up from nursing); their tuition is only $12,000 a year and all out-of-state students received a $10,000 scholarship for the first year to defray the tuition penalty. Her total expenditure coming from California over four years will total just ~$110,000. And, what's amusing, is they have like 7 hours of class a day as opposed to our mere 3 or 4...talk about value! (theoretically)

Also, one thing bpkurtz didn't mention is the new clinical skills lab that no one was able to see on their interview day because the construction is just wrapping up this month. If you come back for a second-look, you'll be able to see it. Nice facility; hopefully they'll use it to its maximum potential.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.