For those who applied late last year...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tatabox80, Oct 6, 2002.

1. tatabox80

tatabox80 Super-Duper Member

Attending Physician
    For those of you who applied late last year, meaning mid september and later, how many of you were accepted, and when did you receive your interviews

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

i don't think mid september is late - some of my apps were complete as late as 9/13 (and i heard about 2 weeks later)

but an app that was complete in mid august - didn't hear anything for about 7 weeks (which was just in their window of 6-8 weeks, so i wasn't concerned as yet)

my feeling is that it is only "late" when schools get backlogged with august mcaterws in late october; there are lots of people at my school just getting their stuff in. it takes just a bit longer to process because there is so many new apps to consider, not a reflection of your app itsellf. quite a few people from last year did great applying late (smw,none, others), though it may effect some rolling schools slightly.

-jot

4. Discoteca

Discoteca Junior Member

Last year I took the Aug 2001 MCAT. I waited for my MCAT score before applying. After it took forever to finish the AMCAS and get transcripts, I didn't submit my AMCAS until almost November. I was submitting secondaries in December and January. Letters of recommendation weren't received to schools until January. I interviewed in late Feb/March and don't ever do this. I got waitlisted and waitlisted and "would you still like to be under consideration" letters. I didn't even know I was waitlisted until the May 15th deadline.
    DO NOT APPLY LATE:mad: :mad:

At the end of the application pool, it is the most competitive time. Think of it this way, if you were on the admissions committee, would you be more selective in the fall when you still have one hundred spots to offer, or spring when you have five?
    :(
    We all know that many qualified candidates do not get in. Why? Because of random chance, luck, adcoms bad day..... Don't stack the odds against an already random process.

5. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    I think Discoteca is right on. This week I've talked to Sinai and Einstein, and people in both office mentioned that they were swamped and behind. Woe to those who haven't yet submitted their AMCAS.

6. Lara

Lara Senior Member

Medical Student
    In the summer of 2001 I was on the waiting list for a Canadian school (my undergrad) for the second year in a row, so I had a tough time getting motivated to fill out the ultra-slow AMCAS. :( Result was that:

AMCAS submitted Oct. 1, 2001

Secondaries and LORs sent in Dec-Jan. Some had missed deadlines due to one of my recs not being sent on time. :(

Creighton interview on February 2, received invite mid December (actually without having submitted the secondary!) Waitlisted, don't know if I'd have gotten in since I withdrew in June.

Temple interview on March 5, received invite late January. Accepted. :)

MCPH (Drexel) interview April 15, received upon returning from Temple. :rolleyes: Also accepted.

Keep in mind though that 1) I'm a URM and 2) circumstances were unusual last cycle. Looking back I'm sure I applied to too few schools too late to succeed in the majority of cases (my stats were fine but far from outstanding).

7. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng

Wonder what the AMCAS delay will be in terms of adding a school. I had submitted my initial AMCAS back in June, but added WashU tonight on a whim. Is there any delay in adding schools or is the only delay in the school's downloading of the application?...Anybody know?

In terms of getting in, we shouldn't be to the point yet where rolling admissions spots are really being "taken up"...except maybe at the schools where a ton of interviews have already been offered (UIC for example is booked pretty much through November). Just my $.02.

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I was also an August MCATer last year. All my secondaries and files were complete and just waiting for scores when they were released (except WF, which was waiting for scores to screen for secondary). I got my first interview invite the first week in November from a non-AMCAS school for the first week in December. I was then able to parlay that into another interview in the same state that same week. I had one interview the last day of January, but the bulk of my interviews (8) were in February (invites in Dec. and Jan), with 3 more scheduled for March (I didn't go to one, WF). I applied to 23 schools, and got 9 pre-interview rejections. Of the 13 interviews I went to, I received 5 acceptances, 6 waitlists, and 2 rejections. The acceptances were more likely to come from the earlier interviews, and the waitlists from the later ones, although that wasn't a hard-and-fast rule.

9. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle

I applied in mid-october last year and I got 5 interviews, started to receive interviews in the end of november. 1 in december, 2 in January & 2 in february.

I didn't get in, though, which is why I'm still here. That only partly has to do with the lateness, I think I also messed up the interviews by not finding out about SDN (and all the wisdom therein) until after I was waitlisted.

Jade~

10. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member

when you say you applied in late october, are you saying that the applications were complete in late october, or you sent in your applications in late october?

11. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey

Jade,

Can you summarize what SDN has taught you about the interview process or how you plan to improve with future interviews from your knowledge? I'd like to learn from your experience.

Thanks.

12. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle

Complete in late october. AMCAS went out the first or second day, my letters just took until mid october.

Jade~

13. LoveDoc

Jade,

Can you summarize what SDN has taught you about the interview process or how you plan to improve with future interviews from your knowledge? I'd like to learn from your experience.

Thanks.

14. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle

Well, first of all... Knowledge is power. the more you know they more confident you can be in your interviews, and the more educated you can sound. (All the practice I've had helps too!) Just by reading everyone's opinions on here I've gotten a much better idea of the whole process and where I stand in it (GPA/MCAT wise) and also that once you have an interview offer, that doesn't matter so much anymore. There have been lots of threads on what interviewers ask and what the responses were - I also picked up a book called "Get into medical school: A guide for the perplexed" which diagrams the common questions and the best way to go about answering them.

I guess the biggest improvement is another year of clinical activities (When they ask you what you want to specialize in, you MUST have some experience in that field or they wonder why you think you want to do it for the rest of your life.) And the fact I'm in the process much earlier.

My bad experience was a combination of 3 things:

1. I was interviewing late with interviewers who had lots of interviewing experience when I had NO interviewing experience and was very nervous. (I did no practice interviews.)

2. Late in the game (My March/January Interviews) I was probably competitng for waitlist spots. Most classes are nearly filled by then. (Though not all...)

3. I had less clinial experience & couldn't back up my statements about what specialty I wanted.

Of course, the moral of the story is that this year most of my interviewers say things like "You have a wonderful application, everything we look for. We really need students like you!"

In hindsight, the extra year has helped me as a person too. (But I wouldn't have believed that last year. It's really hard when you don't get in.)

Jade~
    (Whew, sorry for the long post.)

15. LoveDoc

Jade-
    I just read your response. Thank you! I went to an information session today on how to get into my state med school. Boy...I met my first adcom today.

This should go down in history.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. S.c. Cdc28p

S.c. Cdc28p Member

I submitted my AMCAS in late August and didn't finish secondaries till late Oct or November. Interviewed at 9 out of 9 schools applied. Received my first interview invitation in Oct before the secondary for that school was completed.

Things turned out okay for me, but the wait was excruciating. Don't delay turning in things! It'll only hurt you.