For Those Who Applied to Med Schools While Doing 1YR SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowy117

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you guys list the SMP under 'colleges attended' in AMCAS app?
If so, how did you list the courses? I won't exactly know which classes I'm gonna take until August, but I want to finish my application before that.
Any advice?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you guys list the SMP under 'colleges attended' in AMCAS app?
If so, how did you list the courses? I won't exactly know which classes I'm gonna take until August, but I want to finish my application before that.
QUOTE]

i did, and listed out the 8? or so courses i was going to take that year. the grades were blank, but it may be possible for you to have updates of your grades sent in for those classes as you complete them, or it may come up at interviews.

:luck:

I actually didn't put them on my AMCAS. In hindisight I probably should have, but I definately mentioned my program in my PS. If you don't know what specific classes, I would just mention it in the PS, but if you do know then list them as well. I got away with it, but it's probably better to play it safe!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have yet to decide which program I want to go into. Thus, unless I make a decision by June 1st, I will only have a paragraph or so mentioning the SMPs I am deciding on. If I do decide, then I would put it on my AMCAS although I'm not sure how it will be "verified" since there will be no official transcript or anything. Will AMCAS be ok with having 8 or so classes listed without any official documentation or are you planning on sending something into them ?

Would it be cool if I just sent a letter to every school I applied to telling them what SMP I am in and just attaching my course schedule? I want to turn in my AMCAS now so that I don't have to wait to list the SMP courses, still not sure which one I will be attending still...

That's not a problem - just make sure that the school doesn't mind sending in extras. I know some of the ones I applied to made a big deal about "extra paper." :) :p

With regard to the "extra paper" schools - one of them (I think Penn State maybe) encouraged me to keep sending updates even though their website said not to send them extra stuff. So, it might be worth calling the anti-paper schools when in doubt just to make sure.

That's not a problem - just make sure that the school doesn't mind sending in extras. I know some of the ones I applied to made a big deal about "extra paper." :) :p

I've been having the same issue (starting SMP this fall and applying this cycle to start in Fall 08). My situation is that I am going to be starting the BU MAMS program in the fall and do not yet know which courses I will be taking. Also, I am still waiting to hear back from Georgetown where I will go instead of BU if I am accepted (because it is closer to home for me and that is something really important to me). I doubt that I will actually get into Georgetown, but I can still have hope, right?

I was considering just adding BU MAMS in my AMCAS application which is already complete and ready to submit - I don't want to hold off on it for too long to submit. I don't think I'm going to get into Gtown but in the possibility I do, is it possible to change the school on an already submitted AMCAS application?

Also, what do you do about transcripts in this situation.

Finally, I really like the idea of including in your personal statement about the program and what it is. Is it better to do this (maybe just a sentence or two) or send a separate letter to the school as DrVanNostran suggested?

Thanks so much everyone for your help!!