For those who are interested in pre-screened schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

UCD- ABOUT 2000 APPLICANTS OR ROUGHLY 50 PERCENT OF AMCAS applicants received secondaries.
UCI-about one-third of AMCAS applicants receive a secondary.
UCLA-typically, 55 percent of AMCAS applicants are asked to submit supplementary information. of those returning secondaries about 20 percent are invited for interviews.
UCSD-about 40 percent of applicants receive a secondary application. of those returned, 500 are invited for interviews.
UCSF-30 percent receive secondary, one third are invited for interview.
med coll of wisconsin-all app. receive secondary.
chicago med coll-all app. receive secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Riesling,

both Dartmouth and Georgetown gave secondary applications to all applicants who apply.

This information can be found in the MSAR, sort of. If you look at the stat box at the end of the school profile you will see indicated the secondary application fee. It will either say the fee straight up, or indicate "fee after screening." There are, however, no percentage-type stats there. Only screen/no screen.

I say "sort of" because no one I know has ever not gotten a secondary from a screen school applied to. But this MSAR info is what my advisor uses to figure when to send out the rec files. That is, you have to tell him that you have the secondary from screen school X in hand before the recs will go out.

[This message has been edited by KWBum (edited 08-29-2000).]

I also hear Vanderbilt screens too. As a matter of fact, for some students, they offer you an interview together with your secondary packet!!

for vanderbilt university:

about 15 percent of AMCAS applicants are sent secondary applications and are interviewed. about 25 percent of interviewees are accepted with notification occurring on a rolling-basis.

last year, about 4777 applicants applied.

hope this is helpful.

[This message has been edited by MTY (edited 08-30-2000).]

Dear MTY,

I'm sorry to bother you again, but your answer may save me $85 and a heartache from rejection
tongue.gif

Do you know how many people get secondaries from Eastern Virginia Med? Their web site says they do initial screening, but I'm not sure how rigorous that is. I'm a non-VA resident with low stats, so I'm having a second thought about completing their secondary.

I would really appreciate your help!

Riesling
smile.gif

Riesling
last year, total number of ppl applied to EVMC was 4681, among them 3811 were out-of-state applicants.
EVMC gave out secondary to 30% applicants. a slightly larger percentage of state-resident applicants are asked to submit secondaries. of those returning secondaries about one-third are interviewed between Sept and March.
i have spoken to the admiss committe, she seemed reluctant to tell me how they screen the applicants. cuz on one of the post, a woman received a secondary application without taking the mcat. so i guess they have some non-statistical way to screen the applicants.

good luck

[This message has been edited by MTY (edited 09-03-2000).]

Thank you for your prompt reply, MTY!

I am awfully confused about EVMS now though :\ I don't know how to take the fact that I got a secondary from them. While the 30% cut for secondary seems to put me in an okay spot, I can't believe they give out secondaries to people w/o the MCAT as well.

Do you think I should give school a call? Would that help any?

Riesling
smile.gif

I'm the one that got the secondary from EVMS without MCAT scores (I just took it in August). I must admit that the rest of my application is pretty solid so maybe that's why I got it. I also went to school at Old Dominion (3 miles away from EVMS) in 1998, so they might have picked me out because of that. I must admit that I'm pretty excited to learn that only 30% of out-of-staters get secondaries...at least I got that far! Hope my MCAT's don't suck too bad (physical sciences seemed almost too easy, and the biological section was really tough!). I have NO idea how I might have done!

Reisling,
Don't forget that the AMCAS and secondaries are about more than just the MCAT. More than likely, I'm a bit older than you and therefore have more experience (at life in general) to offer on my application. That is not a knock against you in any form, just a statement explaining that the schools aren't just looking for "perfect" students. My college record is quite good...I just graduated with my BS in Marine Biology summa cum laude, I've been president of 3 honor societies, been volunteering at various places since 1993, etc, etc, etc. What makes me interesting to the schools, however, is the fact that I'm 30, married to a husband who is active-duty Navy, and I've worked the entire time I've gone to school, I am a certified rescue diver working on my DiveMaster, and I race my car on the weekends...and I never graduated from highschool (I have a GED). They are looking for people who are different. We ALL have good grades (now). We ALL have volunteered. They're looking for stuff that makes you unique from all your potential classmates. Maybe that's why they've sent me a secondary without my MCAT's.....
smile.gif

PS-- don't forget...my MCAT's may SUCK, and if they do, I'll get the axe just as fast as anyone else.

[This message has been edited by Cobragirl (edited 09-04-2000).]

Wow, you have quite an impressive resume there, Cobragirl! Boy, you are some competition!
smile.gif

I'm a bit apprehensive about sending a secondary to EVMS, because I have pretty low stats, although I graduated from one of the top colleges and have a fairly interesting background. I think I got a secondary thanks to my essay. I am realizing more and more that I should forget about EVMS :\

Best of luck to you! And thank you for sharing your story!

RIESLING,
hope you had a wonderful weekend.

i was wondering if you don't mind sharing your personal stat with me?
you can email me at [email protected]

i have spoken to adcom people, they were telling me differnt stories from what others told me. since i don't have a confirmed response yet, i try not to post it before i stir up the whole crowd.

but the truth is, i didn't really like the response that adcom was providing.

oh no, i hope no adcom from evms is reading this post.
my name is John smith
and my social # is 555-66-7777. j/k

take care,