For those who are paying for medical school and proud of it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neoncandle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
There are some here who are planning to incur $100k to $200k in debt. I want you to know that many people have done it before you and many will do it afterwards.

Anyone worried?

Tiffany

Members don't see this ad.

since I'll be getting a 6-figure annual salary after I complete my residency, I'm not too worried about a 6-figure debt. I live frugally in general except when it comes to food, so i'm gonna have a lot of money to spare.

I'm worried...with accruing interest a $100k+ debt is massive especially when trying to pay it off with a resident's salary. Plus, since I'm interested in going into surgery, the residency is going to be longer...furthermore, ideally I'd love to be in academic medicine, but the salaries of jr. faculty positions definately aren't too attractive.

So...yeah...I'm a bit nervous...but I'm confident everything will work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I am pretty scared about having to take out $150,000 in loans. But like other people have said, we'll be making a decent salary, and if you live frugally for a few years, everything should work out.

Heck, we're going to have two med school tuitions to take care of, not to mention children. But you know, we're not too worried. When I really think about it, it's sort of frightening, but the truth is we don't desire a fancy lifestyle, and we'll pay it off, however slowly. Really, what does it matter if we're in debt for a chunk of our lives? It's not ideal, but we can be totally happy that way. My goal is to pay it all off before our kids are old enough to start going to college!!

You defer the loan repayment until the end of your residency...hasn't anyone told you that before?

Electrophys said:
I'm worried...with accruing interest a $100k+ debt is massive especially when trying to pay it off with a resident's salary. Plus, since I'm interested in going into surgery, the residency is going to be longer...furthermore, ideally I'd love to be in academic medicine, but the salaries of jr. faculty positions definately aren't too attractive.

So...yeah...I'm a bit nervous...but I'm confident everything will work out.

Termwean said:
You defer the loan repayment until the end of your residency...hasn't anyone told you that before?

Hey Termwean, this is totally off-topic, (my apologies to the OP) but what's the deal with the iPod thing? It seems to good to be legit. Just curious...