Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

For those who are waiting for scores

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by GophurIt, May 2, 2007.

1. GophurIt

Pre-Medical
    Here is a question
    At what score would you retake the MCAT?
    Why?

because of national average, because of desired score, because of believed potential or difference from practice test scores etc

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    <29 = Retake
    30+ = Keep it, hope for the best

All based on being 1 std. dev. above the national average of 24...thus being in the top 33% of people taking the test. I feel this gives me a competitive chance at state public schools, with chances at privates scaling up as my score scales up. 29 is a stretch, anything less is retake.

4. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh yeah, and because I was over 30 on all my practice tests. If I slipped for the real thing, I would be pretty angry at myself.

5. djones473

Pre-Medical
    same as surgical.. if i got <30 i would probably retake because i consistently scored in low to mid 30s on my most recent practice tests. then again, if i got a 29 i would have to think long and hard about studying for the mcat again. i maybe would just try to get in with that and if not, put it off for a year.. clearly ive been thinking about this too much lol.

6. ILPsychDoc

Pre-Medical
    I would retake at <28... My exgirlfriend got a 28 and is now at KU med... I have to dominate her score or I will :barf:

7. killinsound

Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    33 is my cutoff for retake because i feel like if i dont score near my range then i should retake.

8. sexyman

Medical Student
    I never broke 27 on my practice tests but i will retake with anything lower than a 29...

9. finality333

finality333 fĭ-zĭsh'ən

Pre-Medical
    I would retake with < 30.

10. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012

Attending Physician
    I guess I'll be the bold one. I will retake if my actual is <25. I want to attend KCUMB or any DO program and have a pretty solid GPA and extracurriculars. My practice scores were generally better than 25, but that VR might own me.

11. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II

Medical Student
    If you're applying to allopathic schools you should consider retaking if you score less than a 30 total or less than 8 in any section (regardless of total score).

12. sexyman

Medical Student
    Even for DO, I feel like settling for low-mid 20s can keep you out of a lot of schools even with a solid GPA.

13. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012

Attending Physician
    Elaborate with stats then.

14. Catatonic

Pre-Medical
    I got a 30 R (10s across the board) on my first try 3 years ago. I knew that I could have done better since I had a full course load including an internship and prep class. I retook it on April 16, and I was getting 38-42 on the AAMC practice tests.

Whether you take it again or not depends on whether you're confident you're going to get a better score.