For those who changed careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mjs853

For those who are changing careers and now entering the medical field, did you feel that it was harder to get into med school because of this reason(during interviews)? What did schools ask regarding the change?

Members don't see this ad.

I switched over from the business world and can't say it hurt me at the schools where I got interviews. Most thought I have unique skills to bring to the table because of my background. Just be honest about when you decided to become a doctor and how that came about. However, I must say that I can't rule out that it hurt me at schools where they tossed my application in the trash pre-secondary.

Be VERY VERY careful about going into this process, especially if you have a stable, budding career in another industry....You'd better be very idealistic and interested in medicine when you start (I was) cause by the end, much of it has will be sapped. It's way way too much debt and sacrifice for often intangible gains. Do your soul searching and make sure you're into this. Best of luck.

Mike59 said:
I switched over from the business world and can't say it hurt me at the schools where I got interviews. Most thought I have unique skills to bring to the table because of my background. Just be honest about when you decided to become a doctor and how that came about. However, I must say that I can't rule out that it hurt me at schools where they tossed my application in the trash pre-secondary.

Exactly the same situation for me. Most of my interviews acted like it was a plus. But, there were quite a few schools which didn't bother to interview me so maybe that played a part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicine is a great field to go into. Unfortunatley, 95% of it deals with **** other than medicine.

Thanks for all your replies. As much as I try to plan this, I feel there a ton of obstacles. I am still trying to find a way to pay for college classes and looking into financial aid. I got a business degree because at the time I just needed to get out quickly and start working. Now I am seriously trying to pursue what I have always wanted. In the middle there I thought career in medicine is going to be impossible for me becuase of all these obstacles so started looking into other healthcare fields. However, after volunteering at a hospital and talking to several advisors and friends I decided I won't be satisfied until I go all the way - or at least try. I just wanted to get a feel for what to expect from schools.