sweetlenovo88

7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
including myself. What are your thoughts in spending the year doing a bunch of EM electives at places you think you have a high chance of matching instead of doing an intern year? And taking Step while you're at it?

Let's say money is not a concern.

dmitrinyr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
including myself. What are your thoughts in spending the year doing a bunch of EM electives at places you think you have a high chance of matching instead of doing an intern year? And taking Step while you're at it?

Let's say money is not a concern.
You can't do electives once you graduate medical school. The only thing close is an EM rotation if you are able to scramble into an FP or IM prelim year spot. If you are an intern and are able to do an EM month, make sure you are the best damn intern there and get a good letter from an EM attending there. It also helps if the hospital has an EM program. Maybe you can make good contacts and a good letter might prove to residency committees (when you reapply for EM) that you can be a good EM resident.

sweetlenovo88

7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
You can't do electives once you graduate medical school. The only thing close is an EM rotation if you are able to scramble into an FP or IM prelim year spot. If you are an intern and are able to do an EM month, make sure you are the best damn intern there and get a good letter from an EM attending there. It also helps if the hospital has an EM program. Maybe you can make good contacts and a good letter might prove to residency committees (when you reapply for EM) that you can be a good EM resident.
I have lots of glowing EM letters, my problems are my average boards, and failure of one of the comlex 2 steps due to a personal dilemma before the test. I also did not apply to many programs

dmitrinyr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I have lots of glowing EM letters, my problems are my average boards, and failure of one of the comlex 2 steps due to a personal dilemma before the test. I also did not apply to many programs
Unfortunately, avg board scores will hurt you. The most frustrating thing about this is the fact that there's nothing you can do about it as you can't take the tests over. You can make the other parts of your application better, maybe apply to more programs and try your best when you reapply to have more success. Still, often programs really care about your USMLE scores. Sometimes you can be filtered out based off your USMLE scores. Often most (if not all applicants) will have really good EM attending LORs, good grades in EM elective and so USMLE scores are used as something that would make your different from other applicants. So, in theory and often happens in practice, you can improve other things in your application (i.e. apply to more programs, do a year of residency in IM or surger, get better LORs, take step 3, etc.) and still not have any luck when you reapply as your scores might not make you stand out and then you get lost among the 100s of other EM applicants. I know this as this is exactly what happened to me as I've applied 3 times for EM these past 3 years. It's frustrating for me, but that's the way things are and that's the way the currect system sometimes works (or at least that's how it worked in my case). I wish you luck, sweetlenovo88, when you reapply (if you choose to do so) as I truly want people to succeed and get what they want in life. I want to have a career in EM more than anything, but it may not work out for me, at least not with an EM residency. Maybe you'll have more luck than me. :luck:

Jul 31, 2009
Status
Thank you for putting your honest experiences and advice. I hope everyone succeeds.