For those who got an Intv. or got in with LOW STATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys, I was wondering if anyone got interviewes, acceptances, or even rejections with lower end stats. I am applying for the 2006 cycle and have the following stats: 3.2 Academic and a 2.7 Science, my DAT scores are: 18 AA and 17 PAT. Basically I am as average I think as they come. During the course of my last 2 years at university I only took on average 8 units per quarter. I work full time though, I manage a successful resturant and also have over a year of shadowing experience and volunteer, volunteered at the boys and girls club for a year, and thats it. I ALSO WANTED TO KNOW if I was to send in my application on Jun.1 and then take classes over the summer and fall quarters and do well like get A's and B's can I send those grades over to ADSAS or will it be too late once I sent in my application. Will they go back and recalculate my GPA and send the new ones out to the schools to inform them of my other classes I toook????

Members don't see this ad.

ashman said:
Hey you guys, I was wondering if anyone got interviewes, acceptances, or even rejections with lower end stats. I am applying for the 2006 cycle and have the following stats: 3.2 Academic and a 2.7 Science, my DAT scores are: 18 AA and 17 PAT. Basically I am as average I think as they come. During the course of my last 2 years at university I only took on average 8 units per quarter. I work full time though, I manage a successful resturant and also have over a year of shadowing experience and volunteer, volunteered at the boys and girls club for a year, and thats it. I ALSO WANTED TO KNOW if I was to send in my application on Jun.1 and then take classes over the summer and fall quarters and do well like get A's and B's can I send those grades over to ADSAS or will it be too late once I sent in my application. Will they go back and recalculate my GPA and send the new ones out to the schools to inform them of my other classes I toook????
You're applying to 2006 cycle, you have plenty of time to retake your DAT. Try to improve at least 1 point on each section, this will help you the most.
In case you don't know, the AASDAS count the gpa of both retake and original grade on retake courses. You can sent them your updated grades after you took summer school. But your fall quarter may be too late. Schools starts interviewing as early as september!

when you do summer and fall classes, you can send updated transcripts directly to the schools. you don't have to do updates through AADSAS, unless there was an error in your application.

take the DAT again. since your GPA is in the lower range, aim for 20s on your DAT. it is possible; you just have to put in the time to study for the test.

good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard the worst NEWWWSSSS??? They count both your retake grades???? Please tell me they take the better of the two grades, I have like 5 classes that I needed to retake the classes and I have and I have done better but do they incorporate both???? I got like 3 D's and I took them over and got B's and I got a F and took that over and got a C- but took it over again and got a B+ so they count all those grades?? My school just takes the better of th two but someone shed som light.

unfortunately they count every single grade (yes, every retake). try your hardest to do your best the first time you take classes; it will spare you some grief...

instead of retaking courses, many schools prefer that you take a class that is similar to the one you did bad in. for example: if you did bad in biology, try to take a science course that is similar, like microbiology. if you do well in the second course, it shows you have drive, determination, and the knowledge to do well in science courses.

buy the kaplan blue book for the DAT. it gives you a good summary of the sciences and has everything you need to know to do well on the test (make it your Bible!) for the PAT section, buy the TopScore CD. it has very good practice tests in all the subjects and will prepare you well.

Good luck

that sucks to hear only my first two years were good, after that man and a full-time managing position wow just happy to keep the 2.0 status if you know what I mean, but at the same time i have taken 18 units in a quarter and ended with a 3.4 so hey I dont know I have shown I can do it but this is just depressing news I dont think Ill get in anywhere even if I "rock" the DAT still my science GPA is like 2.5 damn work and girlfriend messed everythin up so what now post-bacc/masters I dont think none of them willl take me my stats are too low so what am I suppose to do go back to JC and take science classes for another 2 years????? that would suck after the fact that I got my degree froom a UCI, should of just gone to state school its so much easier could have gotten the better grades whatev ill apply these next two years if it doesnt work out just go be a male stripper i guess. ANY SPIRITUAL HELP ANYTHING I WILL TAKE TO LIFTIN MY SPIRITS. Hey one thing I will bring to the table is my personality,, takes alot to be the manager of a busy resturant but who cares.

ashman said:
that sucks to hear only my first two years were good, after that man and a full-time managing position wow just happy to keep the 2.0 status if you know what I mean, but at the same time i have taken 18 units in a quarter and ended with a 3.4 so hey I dont know I have shown I can do it but this is just depressing news I dont think Ill get in anywhere even if I "rock" the DAT still my science GPA is like 2.5 damn work and girlfriend messed everythin up so what now post-bacc/masters I dont think none of them willl take me my stats are too low so what am I suppose to do go back to JC and take science classes for another 2 years????? that would suck after the fact that I got my degree froom a UCI, should of just gone to state school its so much easier could have gotten the better grades whatev ill apply these next two years if it doesnt work out just go be a male stripper i guess. ANY SPIRITUAL HELP ANYTHING I WILL TAKE TO LIFTIN MY SPIRITS. Hey one thing I will bring to the table is my personality,, takes alot to be the manager of a busy resturant but who cares.

dent schools look at all areas of the application. guess what? i have 4 Cs on my transcript and 3 Ws. but, i also worked 20 hrs per week throughout my undergrad. when i interviewed, the schools never asked me about the bad grades cuz they knew i was working hard outside of the classroom.

don't lose hope

According to most schools, they average the grades in retaken courses.

-Jeff

Bro I wish I had that 2.7 sci now I re-calculate everything including the retakes that I didnt know about I have a wopping 2.47 sci. How about them apples, hey but my overall is like 3.2. So now I can have a little doubt its a long ass way up from what you are making it out to be, I mean working full-time or close to 40 hours of week and doing Bio is a BIa*#. So any recomedations now lets say I take the DAT over and I rock them like 21/20/19 if thats good would that help or is my ass going back to graduate school or post-bacc for the next two years. HOOK up the help, AND I AM TIRED OF SMOKIN THE CHRON AND HOOKIN UP WITH THE LADIES THATS WHY I AM IN THIS MESSS YA KNOW.

ashman said:
Bro I wish I had that 2.7 sci now I re-calculate everything including the retakes that I didnt know about I have a wopping 2.47 sci. How about them apples, hey but my overall is like 3.2. So now I can have a little doubt its a long ass way up from what you are making it out to be, I mean working full-time or close to 40 hours of week and doing Bio is a BIa*#. So any recomedations now lets say I take the DAT over and I rock them like 21/20/19 if thats good would that help or is my ass going back to graduate school or post-bacc for the next two years. HOOK up the help, AND I AM TIRED OF SMOKIN THE CHRON AND HOOKIN UP WITH THE LADIES THATS WHY I AM IN THIS MESSS YA KNOW.

if you rock the DAT, you have a good chance of getting into NYU or Boston U for sure.

I have a great 2.5 science GPA with an overall 180 units total required for graduation from UCI but about 96 units are science. I had a cousin who taught at USC dental school but I dont think that would help maybe if I got a secondary or an interview but my stats will get me in not having 5 of my cousins going to USC and one teaching there. USC IS MY #1 choice, its funny im picky even with my stats, the underlying reason is I have the potential to do well I just work so damn much cause I like what I do right now and other social life of a 22 year old that it messed my school up but hey any chance on the DAT overriding that low sci GPA???

HEY AUG2GUA man your one helpful mofo. thanks seems like you can be alot of help to me, See man I went to the new college website and my problem is not with my pre-req classes I got B's in all those classes. I am a Bio Major so I have taken alot of the upper division classes as well. My problems are with increasing that upper division stats, I mean all I am taking is 6 units this quarter: 2 upper division labs are working, volunteering, full time. I kind of have a grasp on the EXEMPT thing your saying, you mean if the UC doesnt combine the two grades and they use the higher of the two grades for a retaken course I can just put down the better of the two grades and put exempt for the worse one??? If that is a possiblity then hey my GPA goes back up to 2.6-2.8 area and I am back in the game and a little bit more reliefed, and ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS EXEMPT THING???? also I do have quarter units for the latter part of my grades about 86 quarter units so does that help or make any difference???? YOU are a tremendous help, also do you think USC being my #1 choice and having 5 of my cousins who went there within the past 10 years, and one of them who taught have any effect or help??? I am willing to go sit at the admissions office everyday and do oChem problems for them so they will take me, I mean once I get in I will quit my work full time and bartend weekends for some extra cash and go full straight ahead with school, I can compete once I am in I think and have a fresh new start, what ya think BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA???????????/

AUG2UAG hey man you have been a great help I called my school today and they said that I am allowed to place exempt on the classes that I retaking. But I had another ? If I take some more science classes over the summer I can take like 4 and get A's in all of them that would raise my GPA to a 2.932sci and I have like a 3.2aa but then I would be applying in september but if I apply in Jun I will have a 2.7sci and a 3.2aa. ALSO is it safe really to put exempt, like will ADSAAS take that GPA or will they recalculate the GPA once they recieved my transcripts (by the way do they send out the information to schools before they obtain the undergrad school transcripts???). So honestly what are the chances with a 2.7sci and 3.2 with say I hit an average DAT like 18/17. or should I wait till september and apply with a 2.9sci and 3.2 and 18//17. HELPPP you hooked it up with the info homey.

It is great if you could get A's in those 4 classes, but let's be realistic. You are not leaving yourself much margins for errors. It is great that you have this determination, but you should know what you get yourself into.

Higher DAT will definitely help. I assume you would re-take before the summer classes? If you cant pull a 20's, I may reconsider your 4 classes bcos 3 classes of A are better than 4 classes of B.

What you could do is apply in May. And add in other schools around September. By that time, I would send in your transcripts directly to those schools and update at aadsas.

If you dont get in the first try, apply for postbac program.

ashman said:
AUG2UAG hey man you have been a great help I called my school today and they said that I am allowed to place exempt on the classes that I retaking. But I had another ? If I take some more science classes over the summer I can take like 4 and get A's in all of them that would raise my GPA to a 2.932sci and I have like a 3.2aa but then I would be applying in september but if I apply in Jun I will have a 2.7sci and a 3.2aa. ALSO is it safe really to put exempt, like will ADSAAS take that GPA or will they recalculate the GPA once they recieved my transcripts (by the way do they send out the information to schools before they obtain the undergrad school transcripts???). So honestly what are the chances with a 2.7sci and 3.2 with say I hit an average DAT like 18/17. or should I wait till september and apply with a 2.9sci and 3.2 and 18//17. HELPPP you hooked it up with the info homey.

AUG2UAG said:
bump

this advice is not recommended for bio majors who have already taken "other" bio courses. people who have no freakin' clue can easily mislead you and i suggest you take their advice w/ a grain of salt. the easiest way to impress dental schools is to do well during your last ~50-60 units (semester). the best thing you could do is to knock two birds w. the same stone (and a really huge stone):

1) get your degree

2) retake all your pre-req's even if you got an 'A'
since the classes are not replaced you can take the same class over and over again and it will only increase your gpa (As long as you get good grades in them-- if you don't get good grades at some point during this process you should start looking to other careers opps). if you do your entire pre-req sequence and get very good grades doing so, it will show adcoms that you know the fundamentals and it will prepare you for the dat, and it will increase your gpa, and since you should be familiar w/ the material, you'll have a better chance of getting a good grade.

2) retake your dat at this time, make sure you master the material and score high on the test

give me a freakin' break- it's about the journey, not the destination

whats the point of retaking the classes you got an A in, you're not proving anything that way? i still believe that the answer is taking higher level classes...

AUG2UAG said:
sure, that's how people got themselves in the hole the first time

your post lacks substance

to give you the benefit of doubt ('cause you're hot), you should do as many pre-req's as possible until you're comfortable w/ the material, then take some upper division bio classes; do your normal micro, anatomy, physio, genetics and you should be fine (as long as you get good marks) ;)

im sorry but how do i lack substance in saying that its pointless to take classes that you did good in?? you're only proving yourself by taking more difficult classes and doing good in them this shows that you conquered the previous material by challenging yourself more....

AUG2UAG said:
there is a distinction between reality and ideal- ideal is what is preached to us over and over "study hard, get good grades, blah blah blah". schools will tell subpar students "keep on trucking, take upper division classes until your eyes bleed, blah blah blah"-- my point is this- this process, this exact process of taking more upper division classes, is bound to eliminate the hopes of more students who failed the first time. i'm telling you "hey mr or ms 2.5 gpa with a degree and who has finished pre-reqs, this is some sound advice that works for the means to your ends"... so, what is the point of arguing with me; who has conveyed a single point by refuting it with a single sentence?

as a scientist, i testify by my knowledge of the process of admissions and can better prepare someone wanting to get into dental school and not by providing motivational you can do it (ala adam sandler) or cliches that are not practical.

my pov revolves around the idea of knowing the system: the key point being not being able to replace grades. if you got an 'A' in chem1 the first time, then my philosophy is that you'll more likely get an 'A' in chem1 the second time; furthermore, you are more likely to get an 'A' in gen bio 1 rather than micro, however, you should supplement micro (and(/or) other upper division bio classes). thus, retake all of the pre-req's and retake the dat-- by retaking the fundamental material tested on the dat, you are then more likely to score higher on the test, hence, increasing your chances of securing a seat.

i do not believe that dental schools apply an anthropometric system-- the system is very simple: meet above average qualifications and apply early, you will surely secure a seat. furthermore, i implied the post you quoted to bio and/or chem majors, people who have already taken and passed the classes you recommend for them to take (which in the process you cause me a great headache at your recklessness that your argument defies its own logic). therefore, for some poor soul who is a bio or chem major and (obviously) passed all of the upper division classes, yet has a 2.5 gpa i recommend for them to follow my route :laugh: . you don't even get it do you? you have a 3.0 gpa, therefore you don't have to worry about any of this. i had a 2.4 gpa w/ 100 units in chemistry, dropped out of school, enlisted in the military, started school all over again and graduated a 4 year degree in 2.5 years w/ a 3.9 sGPA and secured a 24/23/20 DAT. i'm 24 years old now and in this process i found some resources that i'm sharing with other students.

alright i guess you do have a point if you have a 2.4 you should start all over again...you beat me to death. congratulations on your amazing progress and your DATs how long did you study for those?