For those who got into a program: How many times did you apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpfdpt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see how many ppl here got in on their first try. I've heard it takes an avg of 3 times, but I'm doing my best to get in on my first try.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got in on my first round of applications. I applied to 7 schools 3 schools were in state 4 out of state.
I got 2 acceptances and I was put on 2 waitlists.

Reactions: 1 user
I also got in on my first set of applications. I applied to 13 schools. 4 of them were in state and the rest were out of state.
I was initially accepted into 9, waitlisted by 2 and rejected by two.
My GRE's weren't so great and my GPA was just slightly above the average for the programs I applied to.
Just make sure that you're a good match for the schools you're applying to (academic and extracurricular wise).

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got in on my first set of applications. I applied to 13 schools. 4 of them were in state and the rest were out of state.
I was initially accepted into 9, waitlisted by 2 and rejected by two.
My GRE's weren't so great and my GPA was just slightly above the average for the programs I applied to.
Just make sure that you're a good match for the schools you're applying to (academic and extracurricular wise).
If ya don’t mind me asking, what programs that accepted and waitlisted you ?

I got in on my first try. Applied to 8 schools, accepted to 5, waitlisted at 2, and withdrew from 1.

In retrospect, I wish I would have only applied to 3-5 schools (my stats were pretty competitive though).

Just curious to see how many ppl here got in on their first try. I've heard it takes an avg of 3 times, but I'm doing my best to get in on my first try.
One and done. First try, accepted into the only school I applied to. I had other schools I was considering applying to, but my first choice accepted me before it came to that.

Got in my first try. Accepted to 3 out of 3. Of all my undergrad classmates and other friends that I knew were applying in the same cycle as me, I would say about 70% of them also got in their first try. However, maybe a quarter of them were wait-listed first and then accepted.

Got in my first try. Accepted to 3 out of 3. Of all my undergrad classmates and other friends that I knew were applying in the same cycle as me, I would say about 70% of them also got in their first try. However, maybe a quarter of them were wait-listed first and then accepted.
awesome, congrats! which schools did you get into if you don't mind telling

I also ended up getting in on my first try! Applied to 7 interviewed at 2 and accepted to 2! So it is possible to get in on the first try!

Any idea if re-applying to PT school the 2nd time around will negatively impact you?
I'm deciding if I should try this year with 1 year to go with undergrad, but might be not the strongest application and then seeing how that goes and re-applying the following year if I don't get in anywhere...

Any idea if re-applying to PT school the 2nd time around will negatively impact you?
I'm deciding if I should try this year with 1 year to go with undergrad, but might be not the strongest application and then seeing how that goes and re-applying the following year if I don't get in anywhere...
I heard that it actually looks better, if anything.

I heard it looks better/you have a higher chance if you apply again

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me two tries, and I retook nearly all of my pre reqs in between!

Reactions: 1 users
How about being on a waitlist? Do your chances increase the 2nd time on applying or just stay the same, as if you are applying for the first time ?

second time. Finally got waitlisted at two schools and just got accepted to both. dont give up

Twice!

The first time I applied I got 1 waitlist and a few rejections. But the second time I applied (2 years later) I got 5 acceptances!

I got in my first try. Applied to one school (early decision)

2nd time. Only applied to 2 schools the first time and applied late in the application cycle. 2nd year applied to 12 programs: waitlisted to 3, accepted to 1.

I applied last cycle to 5 schools. Accepted to one without an interview. Interviewed at 2 and accepted into 1.