for those who got into maryland pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalake says

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if you guys could please list your majors/degrees, gpas, pcat scores, and extracurriculars. also, any advice on how you guys made yourself stand out? thanks, very much appreciated!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i was wondering if you guys could please list your majors/degrees, gpas, pcat scores, and extracurriculars. also, any advice on how you guys made yourself stand out? thanks, very much appreciated!! :)

Seems it matters not how to make yourself stand out. The way they accept people there is based on a points system. You get "points" for your GPA, PCAT (the chem score of all things), work experience, maybe letters of recommendation?, and then your interview is based on points too.

So basically, maintain a good GPA, rock your chemistry section on the PCAT, and work in a pharmacy. That should at least get you an interview. Good Luck!!!

(P.S. I got waitlisted and am currently "waiting" for acceptance. My GPA was not very good, my chem subscore was the lowest of my PCAT, and I've never worked in a pharmacy. But I got an interview and I'm 99% sure I'm going to eventually get accepted :p )

hey thanks for replying terp. yeah i'm kinda scared about getting into md. right now i'm a junior at umcp doing biochem. i have like a 3.44 overall gpa with a 3.39 science and 3.57 math. i have been a pharm tech and am currently volunteering up at the umcp health center pharmacy. i'm doing undergraduate research as well and was awarded a fellowship with howard hughes medical institute. for the extracurriculars, i've been vp and vp of public relations for one society and a member of different clubs. i play the piano and have won awards for doing that. however, despite all of this, i still feel like i haven't done enough. i know maryland is tough to get into too, but it's my number one choice. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a junior, and will be leaving early, without my bachelors for UMB.
But I'm majoring in Neurobiology Physiology
3.75 GPA.
PCAT 80% but the Chem I got a 91% (had no idea that was so important)

Extracurriculars: I'm at CP too :) so...
Pre-Pharmacy Society (you should join!!)
TERPcorps-a community service organization that's sponsored by CSL, we're in charge of Saturday of Service, if you've heard of that.
Student Global AIDS Campaign
OMSE Peer Mentor
CCC
Alpha Lambda Delta, Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society

And I work as a tech at Rite Aid pharmacy, volunteered at Washington Adventist Hospital, and did research w/ Dr. Fenster for a year.

I think extracurriculars and experience is very important. I've heard of many stories where students who have lower GPAs and PCATs get in because they are well rounded. From what you've told us, I feel that you've done well to show them that!! Work hard on doing well in your next few semesters (to boost that GPA :) ) and study for your PCATs.

If you haven't been to any of the Pre-Pharmacy Society meetings, you can PM me with your email address and I can give you some copies of the handouts. :)

Good luck!

kalake, i'm sure you'll be fine. i agree with utter devotion about the well-rounded applicant, and it sounds like you are.

as for me, my GPA was a 3.15 in neurophys and my PCAT was a 93, but with something like a 72 chem. as i've said, i never worked in a pharmacy, but i held 2 part-time jobs in undergrad and i am currently working a full-time research position (i took a year off after undergrad). i also played a varsity sport in college. so while i may be an unconventional sort of applicant, i think they like the diversity.

my advice, study for the PCAT. i bought a kaplan book and read the whole thing 3 weeks before the test. just grin and bear it :D

Hello
I just wanted to ask you guys out there in Md to please go vistit Ocean City for me. I love that place, it has been at least 8 years since I have set foot in that wonderful town. I grew up in Md but moved to SoCal, my wife would not let me go to the interveiw that I got at Md because I was already accepted to LLU which was our top choice.